Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

You don’t want to overstretch based on one season of CL football, though. That’s the kind of thing that can take us backwards if a “fire sale” was ever needed.

I do take your point on £20m/season should be absolutely fine. To be honest, I don’t know the exact position with the accounts because I don’t really care that much; I just know we’ve made losses, lose the season of the £100m Grealish sale and have a terrible wages:turnover ratio.

The people at our club will know what we can/can’t spend so we’ll just wait and see.

I can't agree with your first point enough.  There are plenty of clubs that have made this (or similar) mistake in the past.  It is imperative that we plan financially in an astute way and avoid making the same mistake.  Plan for the worst and all that and everything should then be a bonus.

Thankfully, I 100% believe that NSWE and Chris Heck's teams know what they are doing.  The fact that we were able to spend in January gives me confidence that they are fully aware of exactly how much they can / can not spend.  We possibly didn't need to sign anyone in January - although losing three midfielders in February / March proved that it was a very worthwhile investment in hindsight (imagine the crisis we would have had without Rogers!).  Also I am confident that the Heck / Atairos / Comcast plan will start to show itself in the next few months and that we'll see a pretty big jump in revenues that will take us further forwards.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, CroVillan said:

He’d go for less than that Steve, he’s rarely been used and obviously not in their plans atm. If he does indeed want to leave then we could arrange a loan to buy maybe. 

He's allegedly been offered to Milan on loan. I'd take a loan if we can insert a purchase clause. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

He's allegedly been offered to Milan on loan. I'd take a loan if we can insert a purchase clause. 

Same, cracking player. Still young and has drive to the want to get off the bench and want more minutes. Hopefully our Latin brigade can have a word to him. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, _AA_786 said:

Weiffer does look good but I think he's injured and missing the Euros - may be wrong. Not sure if that helps us by scaring off teams and avoiding him being in the shop window. Good to have a few options as I think funds will be tight for multiple teams so there'll be a lot of competition for players in that mid range price bracket £15-40m

Was just using him as an example. Also don't mind a player being injured missing the Euros. More time for the rets of their body to recover before the season. He should also be back at the start of July. So it's not like a right up until starts of the season he should get a full preseason basically. 

5 minutes ago, CroVillan said:

Same, cracking player. Still young and has drive to the want to get off the bench and want more minutes. Hopefully our Latin brigade can have a word to him. 

Imagine if we got Ugarte on loan and Veiga in. Two huge signings and both still very young. 

• Like 1

That Soule from Juve/Frosinone looks a player I’d definitely be looking at him. 

I think the signing of big names on big wages is slightly unrealistic, Monchi is not famed for lavish record signings. 

slightly outdated but there’s a good piece on his strategy here:  

https://analyticsfc.co.uk/blog/2022/05/23/transfer-gurus-sevillas-monchi/

Ramón Rodríguez Verdejo, the former goalkeeper more commonly known as Monchi, is now in his second stint at Sevilla, having previously worked in Seville from 2000 to 2016. During that first period at the club, he raised around €200 million through recruiting and selling on players such as Dani Alves, Julio Baptista and Ivan Rakitic. He also developed a superb youth scouting system and made huge sales from academy products like Jose Reyes and Sergio Ramos. 

There may be a tweak due to a change of club, but if we go off his prior strategy we’ll be looking at younger, potentially undervalued players who can either be developed into players with the quality we need or sold on for a healthy profit. 

The last line of the quote makes me think there could be something in the Ramsey sale links. 

Here's a humdinger for you all.

Mbappé is a businessman, right? Or aspires to be. He's earned enough already from football wages but seems to want the longevity of millions of pounds/euros from smart football investments.

Would you be willing to offer him a small stake in the club/Villa business rather than high wages in return for his playing services for next 3 years? And then an option to extend if all goes well.

I know this is fantastical right, but I also believe Unai can sell this project to anyone, it's just the figures that need to be right - and we could clearly never ever afford a player like Mbappé going the traditional route.

Wonder if we’ll go back in for the players we were linked with and rumoured to have enquired about last summer… or their agents get back in touch…

Some of the names:

Ugarte

Asensio

Kang-in

Williams

Chiesa? 👀 

Pedro Goncalves 

numerous reports during the season that we had scouts at Porto games… Alan Varela was the main name/link…

Palacios also mentioned… but it’s harder to get Leverkusen players now, I assume…

Regardless… CL is a huge draw and only helps us…

I do want some defensive reinforcements… to try and address some of the weakness or deficiencies we’ve shown this year… yes we’ve had injuries and disruption but we need to boost our options and quality… competing in the CL and PL is a big step up… we need more competition and alternatives… rotation will have to happen…

3 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Mbappé is a businessman, right? Or aspires to be. He's earned enough already from football wages but seems to want the longevity of millions of pounds/euros from smart football investments.

Would you be willing to offer him a small stake in the club/Villa business rather than high wages in return for his playing services for next 3 years? And then an option to extend if all goes well.

I know this is fantastical right, but I also believe Unai can sell this project to anyone, it's just the figures that need to be right - and we could clearly never ever afford a player like Mbappé going the traditional route.

WHAT? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, paul514 said:

Just the way it is now, it’s not hard to follow

I'm not saying it's hard. I'm saying it's boring as ****. I don't want to feel like I am at work.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

Wonder if we’ll go back in for the players we were linked with and rumoured to have enquired about last summer… or their agents get back in touch…

Some of the names:

Williams

Alas, I don't think Nico Williams is viable for us this summer. The potential window was last year. The talk is that he wants a huge salary, Bilbao can offer him (or already do?) the equivalent of 200k+ a week beccause they rarely spend on transfers. That would blow our wage structure out of the water as it would set a new precedent for current and future squad players to get to a step where I don't think we're quite there yet.

Posted (edited)

Sociedad have some top players and we’ve been linked in the past…

Merino

Zubimendi

Oyarzabal

Kubo

Le Normand

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, RicRic said:

Carlos Soler is not someone i feel is gonna upgrade our midfield tbh, he is someone that was linked when we were toying with trying to push up the table around 6-10th but we can get way better out there.

He's better than Dendoncker though. And Tim. That's important as we've been hamstrung badly recently by going with just two centrally.

Soler would be a good alternative for Tielemans I reckon and I doubt he'll cost that much if PSG signed him for 15m.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wes said:

Alas, I don't think Nico Williams is viable for us this summer. The potential window was last year. The talk is that he wants a huge salary, Bilbao can offer him (or already do?) the equivalent of 200k+ a week beccause they rarely spend on transfers. That would blow our wage structure out of the water as it would set a new precedent for current and future squad players to get to a step where I don't think we're quite there yet.

Yeah I don’t think that’s a goer but it seems like Unai’s a big fan and Monchi might try n negotiate something… there are alternatives anyway…

Tbf… if he wants to stay at Bilbao… I admire that kind of loyalty 👏 

10 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Player coaches struggle a lot of the time and you're thinking player/owner?   Interesting thought but a non-starter for me. Even Beckham with his MLS move got the option of an expansion team not shares in LA Galaxy

Posted (edited)

Unusual for me… but I’d like us to prioritise defensive targets… DMs and defenders… we lack depth in that sense…

Hermoso would be a great signing… CL experience and used to competing for major honours or at the top level of the game… we could do with a few of those…

That midfield needs some defensive grit and steel to go along with the technical ability and flair… ball retention is a must and paramount to an Unai team too… probably why we are interested in Soler…

Ugarte would be a super signing… if we could manage a loan to buy deal that would be brilliant…

Dunno about fullbacks… I want ones that can defend, not just attack…

Let’s iron out and counteract any kind of deficiencies we have and be even more formidable…

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, _AA_786 said:

spacer.png

***Just learnt how to do GIFs on here 😅

18 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

spacer.png

giphy.gif

Â