Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

4 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

If we needed to sell a big ticket player, would think it more likely that Ramsey or Diaby could be sold, rather than a Luiz or Watkins. Added to that the sales of Sanson, Digne, Hause, Chambers, Dendoncker, possibly Carlos, Duran or Cash?  Zaniolo and Lenglet going back. Could o the younger academy players to go?

With Rogers signed and Buendia returning for next season, we could cope without either Ramsey or Diaby player (if we had to sell one that is).

We’ve actually done pretty well exploring who is out of contract and getting someone in (ie Kamara and Tielemans).  I wonder if there are one or two that we could consider this summer?  Anyone know of a couple that we could look at?

Personally I wouldnt sell either...but

If you did need to sell Ramsey, Diaby, buendia then they are sellable to teams below you. 

Watkins, Luiz, etc will only go to clubs above you and there aren't many of those. 

Are we that confident that Buendia is coming back effective. He's got an injury to get over and we're now asking him to contribute to a top 4 side. I don't see Buendia starting for Arsenal, Liverpool, City and I think that is where we're trying to be. 

10 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

If we needed to sell a big ticket player, would think it more likely that Ramsey or Diaby could be sold, rather than a Luiz or Watkins. Added to that the sales of Sanson, Digne, Hause, Chambers, Dendoncker, possibly Carlos, Duran or Cash?  Zaniolo and Lenglet going back. Could o the younger academy players to go?

With Rogers signed and Buendia returning for next season, we could cope without either Ramsey or Diaby player (if we had to sell one that is).

We’ve actually done pretty well exploring who is out of contract and getting someone in (ie Kamara and Tielemans).  I wonder if there are one or two that we could consider this summer?  Anyone know of a couple that we could look at?

Linked with Hermoso on a free.   Sell Carlos and sign Hermoso.... depends on wages obvs

There will be others for sure.  As others have said being in CL will have a huge impact 1) extra revenue 2) ability to sign top quality players free or not

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

I'm a bit nervous about this. We've needed these high earners at some point and next season if we make champions league we will need an even higher quality to rely on. Digne has played a lot of games, lenglet a previous high earning fringe player has been essential and probably dendonker would be getting some game time if he was still here. 

Yeah I'm not suggesting we don't replace them. It's just that fringe players can't be on those salaries unless they are higher quality, and barely even then unless we reach the CL It's just not sustainable to have your 6th choice CB on £50k/w. Not sure any other club in the world has that. Olsen is useless for the way we want to play and is also on £50k-£55k. Donk, Coutinho and even Sanson are big salaries. Lenglet is on a grotesque contract at Barca (we ain't paying all of that) and Zaniolo is not playing enough or at a level enough to be worth the outlay.

Kosta, Sousa and Gauci are likely on a fraction of what the current fringe/rotation lot earn. This is the way.

Digne I have a feeling he might be on his way out but if not then great, left side of defense sorted.

Edited by sne
  • Like 4

48 minutes ago, Xela said:

If we had to sell one big player, I'll say it, it won't be popular, but it would be Ramsey. 

We've proved we can play well and cope without him.Other players who miss games... Martinez, Torres, Kamara, etc, we are much weaker. 

We've been shit recently until Ramsey came back. I think he's been a significant part of the turnaround (smashing the worst team in the league doesn't count the same).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sne said:

Yeah I'm not suggesting we don't replace them. It's just that fringe players can't be on those salaries unless they are higher quality, and barely even then unless we reach the CL It's just not sustainable to have your 6th choice CB on £50k/w. Not sure any other club in the world has that. Olsen is useless for the way we want to play and is also on £50k-£55k. Donk, Coutinho and even Sanson are big salaries. Lenglet is on a grotesque contract at Barca (we ain't paying all of that) and Zaniolo is not playing enough or at a level enough to be worth the outlay.

Kosta, Sousa and Gauci are likely on a fraction of what the current fringe/rotation lot earn. This is the way.

Digne I have a feeling he might be on his way out but if not then great, left side of defense sorted.

^^^^

This is the way! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, beasley14 said:

Linked with Hermoso on a free.   Sell Carlos and sign Hermoso.... depends on wages obvs

There will be others for sure.  As others have said being in CL will have a huge impact 1) extra revenue 2) ability to sign top quality players free or not

Hermoso is replacement for Lenglet. We need 5 CBs with at least 2 capable of playing LB or RB which would be Hermoso and Konsa

Realistically we’re not going to be able to get £15m for Diego Carlos, so that’ll either be a loan out, or he’ll stay as backup. 

And no way we’re getting anywhere near enough of a fee to consider selling McGinn. Think that ship has sailed, and honestly I’m glad! Let’s keep him as long as he wants. Would be great if he could do 10 years here and get a testimonial. 

With regards to Hermoso, I saw him live earlier in the week at San Siro, and he was probably the worst player on the pitch. But he was playing against one of the best teams in the world, so I won’t judge him purely on that. 

Why are people trying to ship Carlos out? We need 5 CBs as we often play 3 at the back and so need 5. We've 6 at the club right now and were down to our last 2 in 2nd half of a PL game there. 

Also why would we sell a ball winning physical right footed CB to buy in a left footed LCB progressive passer/carrier? We need 2 players for the Pau role. Mings is not Pau, 

Edited by CVByrne
  • Like 2

I'd like to keep everybody tbh and replace Dendoncker, Zaniolo and Lenglet but it's not realistic.

The trouble we have is knowing what we have in Mings, Buendia and Kamara when they return from some pretty serious injuries. The assumption is they get back to where they were, but they are all older and with more serious injuries than Ramsey had and it's taking him 4-6 months of being eased in to find his form again.

I think £30m for Diego & Digne is semi-realistic and with wages saved, probably sensible. I wouldn't be surprised to see us cut our losses and selling Duran, I also wouldn't rule out us selling Buendia (I really hope.not), to generate some cash for replacing the loaners and Dendoncker.

Iroegbunam having a great few months could save us some money on Donks replacement. A lot riding on the Young Fullbacks performing too. If those 3 (Kosta, Sousa, Tim) all do well, we could really invest in a key player or two at CB or in attack.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Why are people trying to ship Carlos out? We need 5 CBs as we often play 3 at the back and so need 5. We've 6 at the club right now and were down to our last 2 in 2nd half of a PL game there. 

Also why would we sell a ball winning physical right footed CB to buy in a left footed LCB progressive passer/carrier? We need 2 players for the Pau role. Mings is not Pau, 

I would think (hope) many don't want to sell him (I don't) but I can see that he's probably our 3rd or 4th best CB but probably paid like our 1st or 2nd best. 31 in March and with a recent ACL, he's probably on the list of players most at risk of being sold to generate some FFP cash.

I love Mings, always have, but I think it's a big risk to sell Carlos and rely on him after such a big injury, particularly as Pau is likely to miss games himself. 

But I can see the 'sensible' thing to do may be to move Carlos on and buy younger and cheaper as he is probably paid more than his positioning in the squad

If we qualify for the CL I can't see us getting rid of Digne and Carlos.  I'm not sure either of them would fancy going to Saudi Arabia, reality seems to have sunk in for many of those who went there and it might put off players in the future.

• Like 1

• City: Dias, Stones, Ake, Akanji, Gvardiol
  • Chelsea: Silva, Fofana, Badiashile, Disasi, Sarr, Chalobah, Colwill, Gilchrist
  • Plop: van Dijk, Konate, Matip, Gomez, Quansa, Williams
  • Arsenal: Saliba, Gabriel, Timber, White, Kiwior
  • Manure: Varane, Martinez, Maguire, Evans, Lindelöf, Shaw
  • Newcastle: Botman, Schär, Dummet, Lascelles.
  • Spurs: Romero, van der Ven, Dragusin, Davis

Sure I'm missing some but those are clubs with much higher revenue than us (and Saudi). In an ideal situation (imo) we should have younger players with potential as the 4th-6th CB option rather than 30-ish year olds on big contracts. But I get there are experience issues vs young players needing to play to develop. Tricky to get it right while also making sense in terms of salaries.

Edited by sne
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

I would think (hope) many don't want to sell him (I don't) but I can see that he's probably our 3rd or 4th best CB but probably paid like our 1st or 2nd best. 31 in March and with a recent ACL, he's probably on the list of players most at risk of being sold to generate some FFP cash.

I love Mings, always have, but I think it's a big risk to sell Carlos and rely on him after such a big injury, particularly as Pau is likely to miss games himself. 

But I can see the 'sensible' thing to do may be to move Carlos on and buy younger and cheaper as he is probably paid more than his positioning in the squad

He's never done his ACL, Mings has done his multiple times. 

Konsa would be our only right footed CB if we sold Carlos. I think it's not on the clubs radar at all to let him leave. 

Also selling him doesn't even help with FFP as there's no profit to book. 

Edited by CVByrne
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

I'd like to keep everybody tbh and replace Dendoncker, Zaniolo and Lenglet but it's not realistic.

The trouble we have is knowing what we have in Mings, Buendia and Kamara when they return from some pretty serious injuries. The assumption is they get back to where they were, but they are all older and with more serious injuries than Ramsey had and it's taking him 4-6 months of being eased in to find his form again.

I think £30m for Diego & Digne is semi-realistic and with wages saved, probably sensible. I wouldn't be surprised to see us cut our losses and selling Duran, I also wouldn't rule out us selling Buendia (I really hope.not), to generate some cash for replacing the loaners and Dendoncker.

Iroegbunam having a great few months could save us some money on Donks replacement. A lot riding on the Young Fullbacks performing too. If those 3 (Kosta, Sousa, Tim) all do well, we could really invest in a key player or two at CB or in attack.

We would need to replace them, with commensurate physical presence, else we are rendering the squad, even more lightweight.

We already see clear evidence of a lack of aerial power at Set pieces.... we simply cannot become more vulnerable, to that threat.

I understand, you want better quality, but we cannot forego, other attributes, those guys offer.

We saw yesterday, how Zaniolo and Rogers was introduced, to stem the tide from Forest's physicality.....We have to have balance in the squad.

35 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Both are crucial to us, in very different ways.

11 minutes ago, TRO said:

Both are crucial to us, in very different ways.

Yes but perform very different roles in the team. We see the drop off when Pau isn't playing in terms of build up and attacking threat. We need another player who can do that. Hermoso on a free is absolutely ideal

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

Yes but perform very different roles in the team. We see the drop off when Pau isn't playing in terms of build up and attacking threat. We need another player who can do that. Hermoso on a free is absolutely ideal

Hermoso could possibly also do a similar job at LB as to what Konsa does at RB. In a pinch. 

19 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I agree.

but it worries me, when we seem to think, every player in the team has to be an attacking threat.....This is not aimed at Pau, because I think he is great.....but In order to reach the heights we are aiming for, some players have to have the superlatives aimed at them for defending.

It won't alway be the case we can sweep teams aside.....we have to have a healthy balance of defensive competency....We cannot have 11 attackers and scratting around for defenders, when we haven't got the ball.......if we have ambitions to win things.

I don't want to be visiting St James's park, every season and entering in to a "shoot out" or Going to Old Trafford and  being "open season".......We have done great this season, its like 1977, with swashbuckling football....but if want to win things, we have to tighten up, particularly in our own area.

That 3-2 was unnecessary yesterday, and the team looked spooked, for a spell.....that's not the traits of a champions league challenging side.

We have to address this moving forward.

Â