Morgan Rogers

Pongo Waring

19 minutes ago, Thug said:

I’m utterly gob smacked by the anti championship snobbery that is shown here.

Do people not learn anything from watching what happens at other clubs?

I bet if we had been linked with Antony for £85m from Ajax, or Sancho from dortmund for £75m or Mudryk from wherever the **** he came from for £88m the same people moaning here would’ve been creaming their pants.

This chap is 6ft tall, well built, good pace, good skills, and young enough to develop.

For £10m he could prove to be an utter bargain, and I’d put a sizeable chunk to bet he’d have a better output than these three clowns mustered last year.

Teams are getting points docked for FFP breaches, and we have some here wanting to sign proven quality for 0 pounds and 5p wages.

We need to snap up these players before they become unobtainable.  

THESE are the kinds of signings that excite me.

Here here 

• Like 3

I have nothing against buying proven internationals/talent at big ticket prices.

But our youth and development system is still a fair bit behind the big teams. People get triggered if people compliment the likes of Brentford or Brighton, but no one bats an eyelid when City, Arsenal, Liverpool etc etc bring in young talent from all levels of all leagues across all countries.

Not going to deny it is a random pick and the timing is equally odd, but we need to balance the big buys with lower risk, lower cost gambles. We've always gambled on potential, we're not too big for this now just because we're doing well.

5 minutes ago, chrisvilla4 said:

Tbf, the last city 'cast off' we signed hasn't done too bad and is probably worth nearly 100mil in today's market.

There's another city cast off that everyone on here wants to sign, called Jeremie Frimpong

Edited by Pongo Waring
  • Like 2

It's not really that random, he's been one of most highly rated academy players in the country, has been playing senior football from a very early age, is one of the most creative players in the Championship this season, and I'm pretty sure he's someone we will have been tracking since Dean Smith was at the club, he's a product of West Brom academy, and we know all about the better players that they've produced, because the people that scouted them and helped develop them are now with us, if he does sign I wouldn't be surprised if it comes out that he has come close to signing for us in the past.

In additon to all that Emery said that we might sign a few that aren't relevant to the squad now, that is we might sign a couple of project players, Rogers isn't wanted because we think he's going to be a difference maker this season, he might even remain at Middlsborrow until the end of the current campaign, there are different kinds of signings, signed for different reasons, not all can be high profile big mone signings, and that's not just true for us, but all teams in the league, it's actually more true for the bigger clubs than for the others, because they can afford project signings like this alongside bigger name signings, if anything a signing like this shows how far we've come.

He could be someone we're planning to send to Vitoria as part of our plans to improve him furthermore

• Like 2

City paid £4m when he was still only sixteen, that's how highly rated he was one, he had already played for West Brom's first team.

And it's not as if he's been a massive flop since then, or if he disappared off the scene,  he was one of the best players in a League One team that reached Play-Off final, at that point would have still only been seventeen or eighteen.

Then had a couple of seasons in the Championship, stats might not look super impressive, but I think he was injured for a big chunk of spell at Bournemouth and his other club was Blackpool, not exactly easy for any youngster to impress in a team that are likely to be one of the strugglers in their league point is he was still good enough to be playing Championship level at such a young age.

And now he's showing why he was so highly rated when younger, but it's not as if he's a late bloomer, as he's still only twenty-one, and in the mean time, he's being doing better than most other players his age in his development years

• Like 1

I think while we just see " players "... Unai seems a full machine and system.

There are players who may seem underwhelming but come here and fly with the ideas and system Unai has in mind for them.

I had no clue who Alex Moreno was before last season.

They seem to really want him, so must be a reason.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, useless said:

he might even remain at Middlsborrow until the end of the current campaign

That was the reported initial bid. 4m rising to 5m and stay at Boro until end of the season. 4m for Championship player is a piss take considering likes of Webster to Brighton was £20m in 2019 and Boro have sell on fee to Man City on Rogers

Makes all round sense this signing .Any order…. Nice lad, coachable, known to the club ,local, versatile ,young ,athletic , financially low risk.. let The Don do his thing..

• Like 1

Middlesbrough got Rogers for a very small fee, I think was probably nearing the end of his City contract, and at that stage was still more about potential, so £5m would have sitll been a decent profit, worth a go from us if that bid is even true, he's not as established a performer as Webster who was in his mid twenties, I wouldn't be surprised if the fee ends up being around £10m, but with some of that being based on add-ons, still a great deal for Middlesbrough, again considering the low fee they paid for him in such a short time ago.

We've also helped them out a lot recently, Archer, and Aaron Ramsey, now they have Azaz for what some might say is a reduced fee, and maybe we can help them more in the future, to the benefit of both clubs.

It's a pity we can't compel Burnley to let them have Ramsey as a replacemet, as I think that would be good for them and us, and Ramsey himself, there have been rumours of it amongst MIddlesbrough fans but I think wishful thinking, as despite not making an impact yet, I doubt Burnley would allow him to leave on loan, as if he was to do well, which he would do if he stayed fit, they wouldn't be the team that benefits

Would you say he is similar in profile to JJ ?  Useless 

As it feels like another athletic left midfielder who can break the lines. 

Whereas the issue we have had this season is the low block . 

Edited by MWARLEY2
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Chine said:

Makes all round sense this signing .Any order…. Nice lad, coachable, known to the club ,local, versatile ,young ,athletic , financially low risk.. let The Don do his thing..

Do you know him?

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

I'm whinging because I have higher expectations and a different opinion??

God you used to say the same thing when you wanted Smith sacked.  

We're the other end of the table and it's the same. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Â