Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Sheff Utd

limpid

Match Polls  

209 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 25/12/23 at 23:59

1 minute ago, sheepyvillian said:

I also gave it to Ezra. He oozed composure at times, just a shame a few others couldn't follow his example. 

Agreed mate. In the last 10 minutes some were losing their heads, Ezri was Mr Cool - he’s amazing!

11 minutes ago, Xela said:

It does feel like it was bound to happen. Said to a couple of mates in the pub earlier, that we're all set up for a fail tonight. I'm trying not to be disappointed as we've done brilliant all season, but it would have been nice to go clear at the top, even for a short time! 

Said exactly the same earlier, would’ve also have loved being top, it’s been too long.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Sheffield United had three chances to get rid of the ball - not only getting out of their six-yard box but the entire penalty area before they lost the ball to which we ultimately score from.

True but then you could argue if the foul is given on keeper straight away then they don’t have to try and clear it. I think it was probably the right call. 

43 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Truth is that Duran isn’t yet good enough to come on as a sub in circumstances like that.

You'd have said the same against Palace if he didn't score that worldie out of absolutely nothing.

31 minutes ago, JoshVilla said:

There was an air of inevitability about this result though. You just knew that the home run was going to come to an end sooner or later - it's just a shame that it had to come in a game like this when we had a great chance to jump to the top of the table, even if potentially only for a night. 

Would you have preferred it to happen against City or Arsenal and swap the euphoria of those two games for the disappointment of tonight ?

The consensus I see almost everywhere on social media is Villa were robbed. Sometimes it goes our way, sometimes it doesn't. 

No point in crying for mummy. Onward. We need to find a way to break down a parked bus. Second time in 10 days this has happened. It's a worthy challenge, and we need need to find a way to disrupt it.

3 minutes ago, Strog said:

Agreed mate. In the last 10 minutes some were losing their heads, Ezri was Mr Cool - he’s amazing!

Absolutely! I honestly thought we were coming away with nothing and even with us not getting our way with some vital decisions, we have to accept that we just did not do enough to take all three points. 

Let's hope that equaliser is the catalyst for Zani to now flourish,  and make that goal the first of many more to come.

• Like 1

Our best goals and chances generally come through crisp, fast transitions that catch defences out, so it flummoxes me that sometimes we are so ponderous with the ball and give defenders all the time in the world to set up.

We also lack players with the capacity and gumption to shoot from distance, which is how teams like Liverpool and Arsenal often beat the low block. At least you're going to draw defenders out that way.

It was frustrating to watch for sure, even more so that I got myself up at 4am to watch. I should have known better 🤣

Frustrating that was, shame to lose our streak to that load of shite. Emi could have had a kip in the first half.

Didnt see the foul at the time and now having watched the sky footage I still don't see it. And if he did tug his arm they cleared the bloody ball, surely different phase of play.

The ref was pretty dire all game, refusing to book cynical fouls and just generally being crap.

We got the equaliser we deserved and a point is better than nothing.

Looked to be a 50% take up on the light show so don't think we'll see that again, I hope.

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Well, sequences come to an end.

Typical that it was against probably the easiest on-paper opposition we’ve faced during the run, perhaps on a par with Luton.

We dominated the game up until the 70th minute or so when we seemed to get nervous and slack, Sheff United grew into the game and my pre-match nightmare of Archer scoring the winning goal in the 86th minute almost came all too true.

Thankfully Zaniolo had other ideas and somewhat spared our blushes.

We didn’t shoot enough, overplayed it at times and lacked the kind of incisive passing we now have with Torres and Tielemans in the side. All that being said we should have had at least one penalty, the Watkins one early on baffles me, he was clearly shoved in the back with the ball coming toward him, that we then get a goal disallowed for a little bit of arm holding on their keeper is a joke.

Frustrating, I think like others I went into tonight feeling nervous, wondering if we’d choke in the big moment. I don’t think we choked as such but it’s a sobering reminder that we’re not a top team, despite currently competing at the top. But that Zaniolo goal makes it just about bearable at least and softens the blow heading into Christmas, fingers crossed we bounce back at Old Trafford and if so, tonight’s result will be quickly forgotten.

Agree with everything in this post, but especially the bolded. Felt like McGinn and Luiz in particular were very reluctant to take shots from any distance, which on the one hand is understandable and indeed probably correct most of the time, but just occasionally it would have been good to mix it up a bit, give them something else to think about, and you never know when you're going to benefit from a deflection. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Our attitude? lol.

We played as well as we could against a team only looking to defend.

Nonsense post. 

How ironic coming from you 

Most of what you post is a load of negative bollox. Like seriously negative dumb shit and your pointing the finger.

Unbelievable 😂