useless

• 4 weeks later...

Aston Villa is pleased to announce the signing of George Hemmings from Nottingham Forest.

Academy Manager Mark Harrison said: “We are delighted George has joined us from Nottingham Forest.

“He is a central midfielder who has good athletic and technical qualities and has a good presence on the pitch.

“He has represented England at Under-16 level and will initially join our Under-18 squad. We look forward to seeing how he develops over the next few years.”

avfc

• Like 3

These type of signings are the future of our club.
Get them in whilst they are relatively cheap. Develop them at a high standard. Make sure they are playing to the Aston Villa way of playing, so they are more 'first team ready'. 

However, as a business we either:

1. get a player cheaper than they would be at 23, or
  2. Sell on and get the FFP benefit. 

In the case of FFP, I believe 'youth development' is excluded from FFP calculation of spend. So it could be that these purchases aren't in our costs, but the sales in a few years give huge benefit.
Running the youth team for profit, with the hope of them making the grade, could buy us a lot of FFP scope in years to come. 

• 2 months later...

He's signed his first professional contract

I watched him play a little in ZED Cup, looks a very good technical player, with very quick feet, was a standout for sure

I don't think it will be long before we see him involved with our U21s

• Like 1

On 11/01/2024 at 18:53, MWARLEY2 said:

Another left footed attacking midfielder.

are we obsessed with this position?.....do we try to breed, other positions for the team?

not a literal comment, but my god....where are the defenders for the future?

If its a target, purely for resale.....then I kinda get it, as they are more likely to attract buyers, in this current football climate.

but, my other observation is....its clear the top 3 have a better class of defender, in their ranks, so maybe in terms of supply & demand, clubs will be looking at them, to improve...just a thought.

Edited by TRO

Â