Afcon/Asia Cup and Villa's UCL rivals

GlobalVillan

19 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

Having never watched a second of any AFCON tournament ever, I read so many posts like this. The standard os always reported to be terrible. And yet the amount of Premier League players from Africa over the years is staggeringly high. 

What is the reason clubs go out of their way to spend millions on players from a continent with such a poor standard instead of bringing through local talent of their own?

For every Drogba and Salah there are scores of bog standard/piss poor players (mostly called Cisse or Traore it seems).

Never come close to winning a WC either. Yet come the summer, there will be tons of African players on their way to the PL or Championship. 

Then AFCON comes around and people pretty unanimously say it's terrible.

The last one was a pretty good standard, with some good matches but it genuinely was terrible yesterday.

Lots of the players were in the lower leagues in Spain, Poland and Germany with only less than a handful at top flight clubs

10 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

The last one was a pretty good standard, with some good matches but it genuinely was terrible yesterday.

Lots of the players were in the lower leagues in Spain, Poland and Germany with only less than a handful at top flight clubs

IMO some of the players (especially western African nations which usually produces the better players) cba with playing for their nations. I have a few Nigerian/Ghanaian friends for example and for years they have always said their stars can’t be bothered to perform. Alongside rubbish coaching it makes the standard in some matches really bad. Saying that though Senegal for example have been consistently decent over the last 15 years? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

Caught some of the Nigeria vs Equitorial Guinea match and the standard was so bad.

How Napoli can demand a stupid amount for Osimen is beyond me - he looked terrible. 

He got 30 goals last season and was a huge reason won the league. Compared to what Hojlund went for and produced in Italy then its quite fair

Tanzania vs Morocco and D.R. Congo vs Zambia today.

I have my mothers side of the family coming over shortly to watch (they are from Tanzania). Fortunately they are unlike the crazy lot that were spamming all of Villa socials over Ally Samatta 😂.

1 hour ago, sne said:

Speaking of names, the Burkina Faso #27 has a pretty spicy name.

The Mauritania guy? He used to play for Fulham and against us in the playoff final, apparently the Premier League wouldnt let him have A.K on his jersey

• Like 1

Two decent fixtures today. 

Ivory Coast vs Nigeria which starts at 5PM GMT and Ghana vs Egypt which starts at 8PM GMT. Ivory Coast being the host nation have to be favourites in that game and although I’d say Ghana have the better squad in comparison to Egypt, I think Egypt will win this game. 

3 hours ago, Rustibrooks said:

Ademola Lookman has played really well so far

Nigeria always seem top heavy with endless forwards.

Today they played a front 3 of Lookman-Oshimen-Chukwueze.

Had likes of Iheanacho on the bench and Victor Boniface picked up an injury and didn't make the squad.

Compared to 20 years back rest of their team is very mediocre so a bit of a nightmare national team to coach given the expectation with them.

Great hit from Kudus in the Egypt-Ghana game.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Salah injured, probably won't play in the tournament again.

Given he didn't actually seem to be injured,  and just kind of walked himself off, it does make me wonder if it's a way for him to get back home for the Liverpool title race early. Nothing in his past suggests he'd do this, but didn't seem to actually be injured?

5 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Given he didn't actually seem to be injured,  and just kind of walked himself off, it does make me wonder if it's a way for him to get back home for the Liverpool title race early. Nothing in his past suggests he'd do this, but didn't seem to actually be injured?

Off to Saudi for a quick medical before joining the league :D