Afcon/Asia Cup and Villa's UCL rivals

GlobalVillan

2 minutes ago, HongKongVillan said:

absolutely crazy game for Cape verde vs Egypt, sounds like Mozambique vs Ghana is just the same, Ghana going out as it stands

That was nuts. All that drama in the Egypt game with Cape Verde scoring on 100th minute but Egypt went through any way!  All sorts of crazy emotions for the Egyptians there. Cape Verde had won the group regardless 🤣 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

Egypt out now along with Algeria, Cameroon and one of Ivory Coast/Senegal

Morocco or Nigeria really should win it from here but be nice to have a surprise winner

Edited by Zatman

So Ivory Coast sneak through again, though I have to say they were rubbish (as were Senegal for all bar the first 5 minutes). Not a game that will live long in the memory, but just gotta find a way to get through and the Ivorians are suddenly in the QFs with half the decent teams already out. 

Quite looking forward to Asian Cup tomorrow, got S Korea v Saudi, Klinsmann v Mancini, which has to be the hardest 2nd round match going. 

Also a word for Tajikistan, who beat UAE on penalties earlier. Not so very long ago, this is what Tajikistan were up to in 'international' football:

• Like 2

Saudi Arabia go out on penalties after South Korea equalize in the 99th minute. Tough luck. That's why it's so important to pay everyone and not just the refs on the pitch. The 4th official is almost as important.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, sne said:

Saudi Arabia go out on penalties after South Korea equalize in the 99th minute. Tough luck. That's why it's so important to pay everyone and not just the refs on the pitch. The 4th official is almost as important.

With the most noteworthy thing being Mancini just turning away and walking down the tunnel before the penalty shoot out ended. What a **** prick.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

With the most noteworthy thing being Mancini just turning away and walking down the tunnel before the penalty shoot out ended. What a **** prick.

Was just gonna post the same thing. Literally turned his back on them before Hwang took the last kick. An absolutely classless word removed. 

4 hours ago, Rustibrooks said:

The refs during the AFCON games I’ve watched have been pretty good. Certainly the best I’ve seen in a competition for a long time.

Agreed. There was one exception (a player who got a second yellow for 'celebrating too much' after scoring) but otherwise I think the standard has been great. 

• Like 1

Home nation Ivory Coast with 1 player sent off score a 120th minute winner to beat Mali. A back heal from Diakité. 

Mali players fighting with the ref.

Edited by sne
  • Like 1