Afcon/Asia Cup and Villa's UCL rivals

GlobalVillan

Goalscorer Diakite sent off for excessive celebrations (2nd yellow) and Traoré sent off for Mali after pushing the ref.

Gotta feel bitter sweet for Diakite to miss the semi.

• Like 1

Stadium looks almost empty for the Cap Verde-South Africa game. Can't be more than maybe a couple thousand people there. That's not great for a quarter final.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, sne said:

Stadium looks almost empty for the Cap Verde-South Africa game. Can't be more than maybe a couple thousand people there. That's not great for a quarter final.

I was expecting South Africa to have a better following, it’s understandable with Cape Verde a bit as they aren’t that big of a population.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

I was expecting South Africa to have a better following, it’s understandable with Cape Verde a bit as they aren’t that big of a population.

Yeah, and I guess the neutrals and home fans will be out celebrating on the streets of the Ivory Coast.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sne said:

Yeah, and I guess the neutrals and home fans will be out celebrating on the streets of the Ivory Coast.

Definitely I can only imagine the scenes right now lol I think I saw somewhere that the neutrals had an opportunity to go as well. My mum lives next door to some Ivorians and she’s told me they haven’t stopped playing music lol

• Haha 1

The VAR decision in this Nigeria - South Africa match is the biggest turn around I’ve ever seen. Disallowed a second Nigeria goal and awarded South Africa a pen from an earlier phase of play - which they score. 1-1 - nuts! 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Awol said:

The VAR decision in this Nigeria - South Africa match is the biggest turn around I’ve ever seen. Disallowed a second Nigeria goal and awarded South Africa a pen from an earlier phase of play - which they score. 1-1 - nuts! 

Not to mention... in the 90th minute :D 

Ivory Coast come back to win against Nigeria, what a storyline for Haller. Coming back from cancer and leading his nation to win AFCON. 

Top tournament this year, refs in general have been quality, had some quality goals and some funny celebrations too. Maybe the PL can pinch the refs from this competition.