Worst Vegetable?

ender4

What is your worst vegetable to eat?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. What is your worst vegetable to eat?

• Broccoli
    • Cabbage
    • Sprouts
    • Aubergine
    • Spinach
    • Beetroot
    • Celery
    • Courgette
    • Sweetcorn
    • Other (please explain below)

Aubergine

Cabbage

Sprouts

Broccoli

Spinach

Beetroot

Celery

Courgette

Sweetcorn

All of the above

If god had wanted you to eat these things, he would have made them into silly colours.

errr...... what like

deep red/purple? (beetroot)

or bright yellow? (sweetcorn)

or purple? (some types of cabbage)

:D

i'll give you the rest though.... they are all a bit green.

Based on this and the other thread I get the impression that not many people eat the requisite "five a day"

Does anyone on here eat 5 portions of fruit and veg a day?

personally, i enjoy vegetables but hate fruit.

I love eating salads - different types of lettuce, cucumber, olives, etc.

i also like green beans, mushrooms, broad beans, peas, carrots, etc.

i'd say i manage 4 portions daily (which includes 1 glass of Pomengranite juice).

Raw celery is just so wrong.

Never a truer word said!

Wow, I don't think I've even eaten a courgette or beetroot before!

Celery when cooked well is nice! I don't think anyone eats raw aubergine or raw spinach or raw sweetcorn so why raw celery?

Most vegetables when cooked well is nice, bar a few that remain vile. Surprised broadbeans is not on the list, for one..

Can't believe I'm the only one who has voted for the loathsome spinach. Oddly enough, raw as a salad it's not too bad, but once cooked it becomes truly disgusting. I honestly don't understand how anybody can think it's edible - just a hint of the smell makes me feel physically sick and I start gagging. The only thing worse is that dark green spring cabbage, which has the same effect but has a horrible leathery texture (rather than the mere sliminess of spinach). Red and white cabbage are OK-ish though.

I also agree that celery is nasty - way too bitter, but - bucking the trend - I LOVE brussell sprouts.

I wish I understood what drives these likes and dislikes - I'd love to see some scientific research done into it.

I wish I understood what drives these likes and dislikes - I'd love to see some scientific research done into it.

perception or even in the head ..maybe it stems from what you are fed as a kid ??

I'm reliably informed that if you eat something your taste buds will adapt to it so something that you hate , like celery ,will as you get used to it become OK and palatable for you ... of course the drawback is that most people if they don't like something won't keep eating it

Beetroot makes me gag, the smell alone gives me an overwhelming desire to wretch.

It all stems back from when I was a fat little nipper. Being the greedy bastard that I was, my mum told me to finish all my beetroot before I could have my ice cream. I was nearly sick after two bites, suffice to say I never got onto the ice cream.

However, from that day on I became thinner :)

perception or even in the head ..maybe it stems from what you are fed as a kid ??

I'm reliably informed that if you eat something your taste buds will adapt to it so something that you hate , like celery ,will as you get used to it become OK and palatable for you ... of course the drawback is that most people if they don't like something won't keep eating it

That's what my wife keeps telling me, but it's simply not true. At BEST I find I can get to tolerate something, but never to actively enjoy it. This is what's happened for me with most green veg outside of the aforementioned spinach and spring greens (which are utterly beyond redemption) - I've learned to eat stuff like broad beans, runner beans, broccoli, courgettes, lettuce - as a sort of medicine, because I know they're good for me, but I make sure I get them out of the way first, before tucking into the only NICE part of a meal, i.e. the meat and potatoes.

But she actually finds that stuff mouthwatering, as I would only for a steak, a chip butty or a big bar of Dairy Milk. It just baffles me how this can be so.

Celery is one of the few things I can't eat. Used to hate cucumber too, but I can tolerate that now.

But then, never having had a potage, it could well be chard.:)

Well Rosa, on Sept 11 on the Vernon Handley thread you had two attempts to take the piss, wind me up, amuse the punters or whatever it is that you try to do on this forum. It's now getting a bit close to stalking but for the time being do keep trying luvvy. Oh and :clap:

:shock:

Sorry mate, not guilty - I thought you were joking, so I joined in. Lighten up eh?

If you are keeping a record of when I 'take the piss, wind you up etc.' can I ask that this be struck from it?

I voted for aubergine, not because it's necessarily the worst, but because a lot of people think it's a good idea to put large chunks of it in otherwise delicious dishes and ruin my appetite completely.

The same could be said about squash, really. Vile.

Sprouts and beets are pretty horrible too, but luckily most chefs realise it's not a good idea to put them in a pasta sauce or a salad.

I hate cucumber, celery and beetroot as they stink vile and make me really throw up. The guy who sits next to me eats his lunch at his dessk everyday and the smell of celer and the dam crunching while im trying to concentrate winds me up!

Â