Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Luton

limpid

Match Polls  

206 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 31/10/23 at 23:59

8 hours ago, gwi1890 said:

Good all round performance slightly sloppy at the end but that’s bottom of the barrel nit picking .

UE will have it on his agenda....He won't see it as nit picking.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

That’s one of my opinions too. We were just so expectant today and probably didn’t feel the need to get up for it ourselves. It was easy today. I actually thought during the game if our atmosphere would get worse if we got into top 4 which is madness really. Sunday games can be a bit dull as well .

All games being Sundays defo a thing too, less people on the piss. 

Looking at the footage of spurs ground after games with jealousy at moment, it’s bouncing 

6 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

Lucky for us we’re playing so well that Zaniolos poor form isn’t hampering us. Feels like there could be a good player there but he needs to do something soon.

Apart from that it was a routine win and we haven’t been able to say that in years.

He needs a goal, or an extra-special moment to set up a goal.  You can see he's struggling for confidence.  Anything will do - a rebound, a tap-in, anything.  Then I think we'll see a top player.  

I don't think Unai replaced him at half-time today solely because of his performance, but also to change our shape by putting Bailey out wide and giving McGinn license to get wide on the left to counter their back-three.  Paid immediate dividends too with the second goal coming from a Digne cross after McGinn had put him in wide-left. Luton changed to a back-four a few minutes later. 

• Like 1

Routine win played in mainly second gear. Unai will be pissed off with the O.G but otherwise as straight forward as they come.

Need to aim for maximum points to build a nice gap ready for the harder games to come. 

Would rather put Tim on when he's fully fit instead of Dendonker.

Onwards and upwards, enjoy every game guys because this could be a season to remember.

We spent a lot of years going to games when it felt inevitable thst we’d loose, now people are finding it difficult to get up for games when it feels inevitable thst we’ll win easily! Funny world you all seem to live in. Perhaps Unai should be forced to appoint a really crap assistant to add balance to his obvious genius. Then don’t announce who has prepared the team match by match. Reading the match thread posters always seam to find things to moan about regardless of how we’re playing. I’m not sure if football is really the game for some of you. Sad situation if we are finally a club to envy from top to bottom and still people can’t be happy. Perhaps VT needs to invest in a sports psychologist? How to cope with the misery of certain victory? I’m sure we’ll find plenty of sympathy across the city. We can’t win with some people. Freud would have a field day. I survived the misery of the early 80s, this is just the late 70s so if you can’t cope now, I’ve got bad news for the near future support your team and enjoy the ride, if you can manage to?

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Caddy said:

As much as I love Deano, even he was consistently exposed vs. top level cerebral managers.

Even though there were a lot of great memories under Deano, one consistent flaw with him was an inability to break down teams that sat deep against us. The game we lost 1-0 against 10 man Sheff Utd is burned into my brain especially. Right now it feels like an opponent could have 15 men sat in their own half and we'd still pick them apart and slot one home.

• Like 1

I watched a Luton Fan's vlog to see their perspective and they said that this is the first time they've been completely outclassed, which is a fair compliment when you consider they've played Brighton, Spurs, Chelsea, West Ham etc. already.
Our home form is only getting better (5 out of 5 wins with an aggregate score of 20-4)! Only slight annoyance is that we should have more clean sheets when we're completely dominating in every game. I think Emery will be warning strongly about complacency as it's crept in a bit in the last two home games. Still, what a time to be a Villa fan! Slightly annoying that we're still 5th (in most seasons we'd be 3rd or 4th with 22 points after 10 games) but also great to continue to be a bit under the radar because of the form of others above us.

More general stats:
We've scored 3 goals or more in 6 out of 10 games this season, which is more than any other team.
20 wins in 2023 (second behind Man City)
65 pts in 2023 (joint 2nd with Arsenal)
4 players with 3+ goals (no other team has this spread)

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

I watched a Luton Fan's vlog to see their perspective and they said that this is the first time they've been completely outclassed, which is a fair compliment when you consider they've played Brighton, Spurs, Chelsea, West Ham etc. already.
Our home form is only getting better (5 out of 5 wins with an aggregate score of 20-4)! Only slight annoyance is that we should have more clean sheets when we're completely dominating in every game. I think Emery will be warning strongly about complacency as it's crept in a bit in the last two home games. Still, what a time to be a Villa fan! Slightly annoying that we're still 5th (in most seasons we'd be 3rd or 4th with 22 points after 10 games) but also great to continue to be a bit under the radar because of the form of others above us.

More general stats:
We've scored 3 goals or more in 6 out of 10 games this season, which is more than any other team.

This is all true and a very positive post, I hope other posters can enjoy what’s happening currently at our club and get behind it without finding reasons to not enjoy it or fully get behind the team and help create a winning atmosphere, which  Unai is trying to foster. UTV, even the boring, hammer everyone version!🙂

Just a few years ago, especially under Bruce, people would talk about the likes of City and Liverpool playing an altogether different sport or being on another planet.  We're now on that planet and playing the same sport. 

The players did what they had to do then basically rested a bit, which can be frustrating, and maybe missed an opportunity to improve goal difference, but made sense given our fixtures and injury list. 

The front three of Bailey Diaby and Watkins in the second half looked a bit tasty, especially now that Bailey seems to have found some confidence and been encouraged to use his trickery a bit more. 

Atmosphere seemed fine to me, but as OutByEaster said, the football is now more cerebral and less up and at 'em - City have played like that for years, and it can be a bit boring for some.  May explain why people say the Etihad atmosphere is poor.     

• Like 2

9 hours ago, 6065_Villa said:

Routine win played in mainly second gear. Unai will be pissed off with the O.G but otherwise as straight forward as they come.

Need to aim for maximum points to build a nice gap ready for the harder games to come. 

Would rather put Tim on when he's fully fit instead of Dendonker.

Onwards and upwards, enjoy every game guys because this could be a season to remember.

I am.....Thats the level this team has taken me to.

Clean sheets are a barometer, to Elite status.

Edited by TRO

3 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

We spent a lot of years going to games when it felt inevitable thst we’d loose, now people are finding it difficult to get up for games when it feels inevitable thst we’ll win easily! Funny world you all seem to live in. Perhaps Unai should be forced to appoint a really crap assistant to add balance to his obvious genius. Then don’t announce who has prepared the team match by match. Reading the match thread posters always seam to find things to moan about regardless of how we’re playing. I’m not sure if football is really the game for some of you. Sad situation if we are finally a club to envy from top to bottom and still people can’t be happy. Perhaps VT needs to invest in a sports psychologist? How to cope with the misery of certain victory? I’m sure we’ll find plenty of sympathy across the city. We can’t win with some people. Freud would have a field day. I survived the misery of the early 80s, this is just the late 70s so if you can’t cope now, I’ve got bad news for the near future support your team and enjoy the ride, if you can manage to?

I don't go in to games thinking we will win, I hope we do. I know we have the talent, but the hard work still has to be applied.

Some of the cup games, keeps me grounded.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

More general stats:

We were also the first time that Brighton, West Ham, Chelsea etc have been completely outclassed.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

Yeah, they wouldn't admit it though! They'd all find excuses about how they had an off day, we got the rub of the green etc. etc.

Thats the mitigation, all our opposing teams cling to....it was the same in 1980/81

nothing changes in that respect.

4 hours ago, El Segundo said:

Just a few years ago, especially under Bruce, people would talk about the likes of City and Liverpool playing an altogether different sport or being on another planet.  We're now on that planet and playing the same sport. 

The players did what they had to do then basically rested a bit, which can be frustrating, and maybe missed an opportunity to improve goal difference, but made sense given our fixtures and injury list. 

The front three of Bailey Diaby and Watkins in the second half looked a bit tasty, especially now that Bailey seems to have found some confidence and been encouraged to use his trickery a bit more. 

Atmosphere seemed fine to me, but as OutByEaster said, the football is now more cerebral and less up and at 'em - City have played like that for years, and it can be a bit boring for some.  May explain why people say the Etihad atmosphere is poor.     

I personally absolutely our love play style I find the build up and patterns fascinating it quality football give me that any day for hoof it to row z.

Edited by gwi1890
  • Like 1