Mid-Bedfordshire and Tamworth by-elections

Genie

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

If I was a tory MP right now I’d start casting around for a new leader and gossiping to the press.

The thing is I'm not sure Sunak is the problem as much as Braverman, Patel, Truss etc.  They seem to be the ones that are completely clueless as to why so many people hate the Tories right now, if they didn't already before.  It's not really based on much but I get the feeling Sunak has had to bow to the right of the party to keep them onside.  As @Genie said I think he'd be better off getting it over and done with now.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

The thing is I'm not sure Sunak is the problem as much as Braverman, Patel, Truss etc.  They seem to be the ones that are completely clueless as to why so many people hate the Tories right now, if they didn't already before.  It's not really based on much but I get the feeling Sunak has had to bow to the right of the party to keep them onside.  As @Genie said I think he'd be better off getting it over and done with now.

Oh, I wasn’t offering them any constructive advice. I hope the shits self destruct.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, villan95 said:

This one's even better

Guess it depends on your priorities. Reckon I'd choose a 80/20 Labour / Lib Dem split over a 90/10 one. 

But yes, even fewer Tories is also good. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

The real hardcore throbbers were never going to vote for a bloke called Festus Akinbusoye, even if he was a Tory. 

Suella Braverman, Priti Patel, Rishi Sunak, Ben Afolami,  Kemi Badonoch, Saqip Batti (plus loads more).

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Genie said:

Suella Braverman, Priti Patel, Rishi Sunak, Ben Afolami,  Kemi Badonoch, Saqip Batti (plus loads more).

My point exactly. They aren't getting votes from sensible people because they're borderline fascists. But they aren't getting enough votes from the fascist punters, because they aren't white (therefore 'not really British'). I'll bet a lot of those stay-away Bedfordshire Tories would have turned out for a Boris or JRM type candidate. 

29 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

My point exactly. They aren't getting votes from sensible people because they're borderline fascists. But they aren't getting enough votes from the fascist punters, because they aren't white (therefore 'not really British'). I'll bet a lot of those stay-away Bedfordshire Tories would have turned out for a Boris or JRM type candidate. 

I think the racist types will vote for a non-white candidate if that candidate shows racist / right wing / anti-immigration tendencies. 

It would’ve been interesting to see if the Tories had put a more right leaning candidate into Tamworth in particular, they might have scooped some of those BF/UKIP/Reform votes to get over the line.

38 minutes ago, Genie said:

I think the racist types will vote for a non-white candidate if that candidate shows racist / right wing / anti-immigration tendencies. 

It would’ve been interesting to see if the Tories had put a more right leaning candidate into Tamworth in particular, they might have scooped some of those BF/UKIP/Reform votes to get over the line.

Doesn’t say much for Tamworth does it.

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Not convinced there is an abnormal stay at home Tory vote in Mid Beds. The turnout was relatively high for a similar late term by-election. Only the Carswell / Reckless elections have higher turnouts in recent times for by-elections in the last year or so of a parliament. And they were exceptional in a number of ways

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ml1dch said:

Guess it depends on your priorities. Reckon I'd choose a 80/20 Labour / Lib Dem split over a 90/10 one. 

But yes, even fewer Tories is also good. 

Apologies I read the Lib Dem MP number as Tories. So yep on balance I'd prefer less Tories too 👍