Mid-Bedfordshire and Tamworth by-elections

Genie

1 minute ago, bickster said:

50.1% Throbbers by my definition in Tamworth. (Tory+ Reform + UKIP + Britain First)

Labour won because the minor throbby parties split the vote, the other three got 9.4% between them

Labour need to be pretty successful between now and the GE to keep hold of the seat. 

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

Labour need to be pretty successful between now and the GE to keep hold of the seat. 

One of those that doesn't matter all that much.

Tamworth should be so safely Tory that if Labour held it they'd be on 400+ seats. Reckon Labour HQ will be fine with seats in just the high 300s.

9 minutes ago, bickster said:

50.1% Throbbers by my definition in Tamworth. (Tory+ Reform + UKIP + Britain First)

Labour won because the minor throbby parties split the vote, the other three got 9.4% between them

when it comes to a GE they'll come to an agreement not to run against each other (think farage did that for the last GE). i'm not sure lib dem and labour would ever come to such an agreement

1 minute ago, ml1dch said:

One of those that doesn't matter all that much.

Tamworth should be so safely Tory that if Labour held it they'd be on 400+ seats. Reckon Labour HQ will be fine with seats in just the high 300s.

Her big ticket policy seems to be reinstating a police station front desk which was scrapped a while ago (People have to go to Burton now to report a crime face to face). Seems doable. If she can get that in place, and get some roads resurfaced I think she’ll be in a good position to brag about reversing the Tory cuts.

Beyond that people want a proper hospital which is more of a challenge. 

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

Define success for a party not in power?

In reality, it’s the stay at home Tory vote that will decide who wins the seat at the next GE.

If this was a GE Labour wouldn’t even have targeted Tamworth, it’s that far down the list of targets. There is an argument that in losing this, the Tories have hurt Labour in a minor way as they will now have to pour resources in to defend the seat at the GE (Unite will insist as the MP is one of theirs)

If the Tories don’t regain Tamworth in the GE my prediction of them being a spent force in politics becomes more likely.

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

Her big ticket policy seems to be reinstating a police station front desk which was scrapped a while ago (People have to go to Burton now to report a crime face to face). Seems doable. If she can get that in place, and get some roads resurfaced I think she’ll be in a good position to brag about reversing the Tory cuts.

Beyond that people want a proper hospital which is more of a challenge. 

Bit of a daft election pledge for someone representing an opposition party, she has no mechanism to effect those changes.

If she can manage to sort the police station and the roads off she’s a miracle worker given the Labour Party has little to no influence in the authorities that control that decision making and those budgets

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Not officially. It’s against the Labour Party constitution to do so, despite them begging the LibDems to stop campaigning in MidBeds

Have the lib dem’s stepped aside for Labour though? They were suggesting it was fairly common on the news last night but I don’t have my own recollection to call upon.

1 minute ago, Genie said:

Have the lib dem’s stepped aside for Labour though? They were suggesting it was fairly common on the news last night but I don’t have my own recollection to call upon.

It depends what you mean, have they campaigned with one Orange cotton wool bud as their only presence? Yes. Labour have done the same for them too (and got huge internal pelters for it) in the likes of North Shropshire where they were the second placed party but stood no chance of winning.

They might as well just announce the GE then they’ll at least be a year closer to having a shot at getting back in. Suffering embarrassment after embarrassment in each by-election because of another sexual predator getting caught.

They’re just delaying the inevitable as it stands.

10 minutes ago, Genie said:

They might as well just announce the GE then they’ll at least be a year closer to having a shot at getting back in. Suffering embarrassment after embarrassment in each by-election because of another sexual predator getting caught.

Blackpool South and Wellingborough next. Blackpool will be the mother of all thrashings, Wellingborough has a smaller majority than last night.

Fun times. 

• Like 1

Another big night for Labour.  Not to get complacent but I firmly believe Labour will form.a majority government after the GE. Its not about Labour, people are less bothered about Brexit and more concerned about higher mortgages. Higher rent. Cost of living and sick to death of conservatives. There will be a much higher turnout at the GE for these seats but that should benefit Labour