Mid-Bedfordshire and Tamworth by-elections

Genie

There's been plenty of canvassing by labour in Tamworth for the last few days, they've really ramped up the amount of literature coming through the mailbox. Even had them knock my door twice today asking for my voting intention. My wife went nuts at the second one, she felt they were being rude asking.

I can't see them losing given the very recent news about the Tory candidate.

I don't know if the Tories will lose both, one or neither but given they are defending majorities of 25k and 20k even if they do defend both it will be the reduced majorities that will be interesting. 

FWIW I think given that Labour and Lib Dems have for some reason both decided to contest Mid Beds and thrown everything at it then it will likely mean neither will get enough votes to out do the Tory, who is the current crime commissioner.

Tamworth will be very close. 

1 minute ago, markavfc40 said:

Tamworth will be very close. 

I think Labour will be close but no cigar, 20,000 majority in a by-election is a big old ask especially with the type of voters here.

The facebook post from the Tory candidate has cut deep though, everything on social media mentions it so it will cost him a lot of votes sure.

Losing Tamworth, the home of modern Conservatism will be hugely symbolic and will hurt more than the stats. The seat of Robert Peel and the place he wrote the Tamworth Manifesto, which is widely regarded as the basis of modern conservatism to this day

Losing Mid-Beds will genuinely send shockwaves through the party, the sort that will send an awful lot of MPs over the edge and announce they are standing down.

It will be down to the LibDems if Labour lose Mid-Beds. Labour will win Tamworth with a degree of comfort(a few thousand)

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

It will be down to the LibDems if Labour lose Mid-Beds. Labour will win Tamworth with a degree of comfort(a few thousand)

Maybe tactically speaking, but there’s another angle. As much as I’d personally like the various oppo parties to act smart and do whatever, collaboratively, to hoy out the baby eaters, it’s also the case that each party has an absolute right to stand in a seat. The LDs have always been good at by elections and it’s not like they are, or were at the start of the campaign for this one, much differently positioned to Labour.

so for this one, it’s kind of more interesting to me how the anti Tory vote does, than whether Labour or LD or Tory wins. And if the Tory squeaks in because of a split oppo vote, it might actually help in the GE - because it might get them to be smarter.

• Like 1

Some chatter in the local fb group how sick to death they are of Labour reps knocking their door.

I had one visitor today but others say they’ve had 3 or 4 knocks at the door today alone, even in the last half an hour.

As I said the other day, I’ve never known campaigning like i’ve seen this last 2 weeks.

Edited by Genie

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

Some chatter in the local fb group how sick to death they are of Labour reps knocking their door.

I had one visitor today but others say they’ve had 3 or 4 knocks at the door today alone, even in the last half an hour.

As I said the other day, I’ve never known campaigning like i’ve seen this last 2 weeks.

Someone just said that Jess Philips (Labour MP for Yardley) just knocked her door.

24 minutes ago, blandy said:

Maybe tactically speaking, but there’s another angle. As much as I’d personally like the various oppo parties to act smart and do whatever, collaboratively, to hoy out the baby eaters, it’s also the case that each party has an absolute right to stand in a seat. The LDs have always been good at by elections and it’s not like they are, or were at the start of the campaign for this one, much differently positioned to Labour.

Absolutely.  I'd also add that while General Elections are resource management operations, to encourage your voters and activists that they want to turn up and knock on doors at that time, you need to at least demonstrate that you're interested at the other times.

Eddie Hughes has been saying today that if Andrew Cooper wins the Tamworth seat for the Tories he’ll look for a different seat at the GE.

That’s interesting from the party who’s main attack on Sarah Edwards is that she doesn’t (until recently) live in Tamworth and is therefore not fit for the job.

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

Eddie Hughes has been saying today that if Andrew Cooper wins the Tamworth seat for the Tories he’ll look for a different seat at the GE.

He said that a while ago. Think I posted it in the main Tory thread quite a way back.

Edited by ml1dch

1 minute ago, ml1dch said:

He said that a while ago. Think I posted it in the main Tory thread quite a way back.

Oh ok, I only spotted it recently. 

I don’t believe him though. I reckon Cooper will be paid off and push out of the way ahead of the GE even if he’s the MP.

9 minutes ago, Genie said:

From what I can gather it’s because Conservatives, Labour and Lib Dem’s are all the same. 

That's fair enough. I was just wondering why it made them throbbers for not voting for the 'main three'.

But yeah, I guess the same could equally be said about the throbbers that continue to vote for the 'main two' who themselves have succeeded in putting the UK down the toilet.