Ratings & Reactions: Legia Warszawa v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

171 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 23/09/23 at 22:59

We are not playing well at the minute, and the season so far has been pretty questionable in terms of performances against anything other than  utter crap. Early days yet, but we look very mid table and need to improve against good sides if we are to win anything. 

• Like 2

Horror show all around. Credit to Legia - they were up for it. 

But we played like we didn't need to try to win and they played like they were determined to do anything to stop us.

And it will be like this for almost every game in the conference league. The rotation XI need do a LOT better in the future if we want to go deep in this tournament.

• Like 1

I thought there was a lack of pace throughout our team and we generally could impose ourselves on the game. The defence weren't quick enough to deal with their pace in behind, which wasn't helped by having two slow players as the pivot. Mings is a big loss as he is the only defender we have who has good recovery pace to get back. 

Upfront Bailey, Zaniolo and Duran aren't considered slow, but rarely got an opportunity to run at the opposition defence. Even when they did, they seemed a bit sluggish. 

Edited by Made In Aston

52 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’m backing Emery on the rotation. We have 5 more games with 3 at home to get it right. 

I really want us to beat Chelsea more then I wanted us to win this and half the team playing less minutes gives us a much better chance of doing this. 

I personally would have preferred them* playing 60 minutes and (possibly) winning the game.

Not sure an extra 30 minutes is going to make a massive difference. It's as much the travelling midweek as anything else.

Plus winning breeds confidence.

*them - being the 'better' players.

40 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

A thought ( Yes we were shite )

But i wonder if these teams will monumentally raise their game against us as " underdogs ".

Guaranteed all these teams see a PL scalp as the ultimate" F*ck you "  to the " system ".

On the flip side, some PL teams think they can just turn up and get results as they are " Premier League " etc.

Bring the two together and you're in for a long evening.

Effort needs to be put in.

Honest... I don't think so, mostar might but legia and AZ are experienced European teams, 2 years ago legia were in a EL group with Leicester and Napoli (they beat Leicester at home too) last year AZ played lazio anderlecht and West ham, they're more experienced than we are for sure, it's not raising their game it's more knowing what its all about and we don't

I'd also say that atmosphere isn't "special" for tonight, that's what European football is, it's better than the PL

All of that paired with us being **** garbage

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, JoshVilla said:

Well, that was a bit shit.

We were absolutely shocking, almost to a man. It's a tough one really. In hindsight, maybe it would've been best to go with a full strength starting XI that have had chance to settle already this season, and then make the changes if we have the game in the bag. In fairness though, most of us thought that our starting XI was good enough to win this, on paper. It does show that you simply can't underestimate anyone in this competition, especially away from home. 

There's plenty more games to play, and I'm sure we'll be okay in terms of getting out of the group, but it was slightly concerning how a number of players just looked like they couldn't be arsed tonight. Hopefully it'll give us a much needed kick up the arse.

Quite a few of the players who started tonight haven't had much game time to practice emery's style. I think in hindsight emery should have given some of the fringe players a run out in the league as well. We want a situation where there is little drop off in performance if we rotate and are nowhere near that at the moment. 

10 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

I thought there was a lack of pace throughout our team and we generally could impose ourselves on the game. The defence weren't quick enough to deal with their pace in behind, which wasn't helped by having two slow players as the pivot. Mings is a big loss as he is the only defender we have who has good recovery pace to get back. 

Upfront Bailey, Zaniolo and Duran aren't considered slow, but rarely got an opportunity to run at the opposition defence. Even when they did, they seemed a bit sluggish. 

Clear lack of pace at our 3-2 block when we have the ball. Of Chambers, Konsa, Lenglet, Kamara, and TIelemans - only Konsa would win a foot race against that Legia attack. I think Unai is vastly overestimating that particular group's ability to defend in space.

• Like 3

Be interesting to see what sort of team he puts out against Zrinjski now (sandwiched between Brighton and wolves)! 

They've won today, so if (god forbid) we lost, we could be out after game 3 (arguably our toughest game on paper).

Who will want Chambers starting in that? And full use of the squad? 

I'm sure it won't come to that, but we've put extra pressure on ourselves now (& more reason to go stronger!) 

3 minutes ago, WakefieldVillan said:

Be interesting to see what sort of team he puts out against Zrinjski now (sandwiched between Brighton and wolves)! 

They've won today, so if (god forbid) we lost, we could be out after game 3 (arguably our toughest game on paper).

Who will want Chambers starting in that? And full use of the squad? 

I'm sure it won't come to that, but we've put extra pressure on ourselves now (& more reason to go stronger!) 

it would be easier if we had AZ next game. at least then we know we need to go full strength. the zrinjski game is now a head scratcher...was it a lucky win tonight? or are they actually decent?

3 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Quite a few of the players who started tonight haven't had much game time to practice emery's style. I think in hindsight emery should have given some of the fringe players a run out in the league as well. We want a situation where there is little drop off in performance if we rotate and are nowhere near that at the moment. 

Yeah they need the minutes for that to happen though, possibly too many changes at the back cost us, as that's a major part of the Emery ball.  In the grand scheme of things we need to be able to rotate or we'll **** our chances in the Premier League anyway, so if our squad lacks the depth to compete in Europe and in the league then we're better off not compromising the league for the conference if there's a realistic chance we can get top 6. That said we need to get the fringe players up to speed or we won't ever be able to rotate, plus if we win our home games in the group and pick up a point or two on the road we should be ok.

Hibs was no preparation for tonight. Defence is a worry away from home no matter who is playing.  Perhaps a bit of hubris for all those who think we should be the favorites for a competition when we haven't played in Europe for a generation. 

If you want to be positive it could be a well-deserved kick up the arse for the remaining five games. Or this is going to be a lot tougher than some people had thought unless we are all in every game with our first XI.

Edited by The Fun Factory

4 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Yeah they need the minutes for that to happen though, possibly too many changes at the back cost us, as that's a major part of the Emery ball.  In the grand scheme of things we need to be able to rotate or we'll **** our chances in the Premier League anyway, so if our squad lacks the depth to compete in Europe and in the league then we're better off not compromising the league for the conference if there's a realistic chance we can get top 6. That said we need to get the fringe players up to speed or we won't ever be able to rotate, plus if we win our home games in the group and pick up a point or two on the road we should be ok.

I think the problem is that the fringe players have a very real lack of pace. No matter what tactically - if the opponent can just run around you - we will continue in this vein.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

I think the problem is that the fringe players have a very real lack of pace. No matter what tactically - if the opponent can just run around you - we will continue in this vein.

Maybe, maybe not, that combination at the back has never played together, ever. By extension that back 4 and midfield have never played together and it's important that they work together well against any opposition. Learning curve, they deserve more than one chance.

Really underwhelming and disappointing start to our ECL adventure/campaign “proper”… especially after so many years without Europe and the anticipation and excitement… expected more from the players who were so far off it…

Lost and spineless defence, non existent midfield (McGinn and Kamara haven’t really started the season and Youri is largely underwhelming… can’t just rely on Dougie all the time and when John isn’t on form and aggressive in midfield… we usually suffer)…

Hopefully just another learning experience (and humbling), we can only get better… but… we can’t keep saying that either. A few need to buck up their ideas and sharpen up…

On the positive side… Duran is looking really good and JJ is back… but the negatives far outweigh them and we have to react properly and be consistent…

Concerning how many players are out of form atm…

AND FFS DO SOMETHING ABOUT THOSE SWEATRAG SHIRTS!!! Replace with the training gear if we have to! Utterly appalling!

10 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

For me - Unai needs to ask himself a very difficult question on how he wants to play when it's not his starting XI.

The very basics is that the 3-2 block of Chambers, Konsa, Lenglet, Tielemans, and Kamara are glacially slow except for Konsa. All managers are stubborn but expecting to roll out that back 5 rest defense and then being upset that they're overran is not smart.

I feel it was just two many wrong decisions combined with players playing poorly

Swap Lenget for Pau and Kamara for Dendoncker and maybe we'd have had a better balance. Chambers rarely ever does well at right back, in midfield he is passable.