January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

If we sign Hermoso then IMO it’s the end for mings or Carlos.

the lad will come in with big wages and we can’t support/keep happy 5 centre backs

• Like 2

1 minute ago, rubberman said:

Yes - I guess that is kind of the point I was trying to make. We have to continue to shop smart and I'm sure we will, but even if we wanted to splash out on a player, or a couple of Diaby price players we aren't going to be able to with our revenue so far behind our competitors. I wouldn't expect us to go on a chelsea spending spree but I if we can only spend say half of what those around us can it really is going to be hard to compete over the next few years as we have to be better in every other department. Hopefully we have the team in place to do that. 

If I'm honest, the idea of spending regularly what we spent on Diaby would concern me. If we did I'd think we'd have lost our way like so many other clubs do, gambling away hoping to strike gold. I'd much rather as a club we continue to breed stars rather than buy them, and with the right manager and staff you can. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

If I'm honest, the idea of spending regularly what we spent on Diaby would concern me. If we did I'd think we'd have lost our way like so many other clubs do, gambling away hoping to strike gold. I'd much rather as a club we continue to breed stars rather than buy them, and with the right manager and staff you can. 

I'm all for a few more McGinns, at a higher level!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Enda said:

Cheeky bid for Fernandinho, anyone? Last I read he’s still at City.

and still one of the best defensive midfielders in the world 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, paul514 said:

the lad will come in with big wages and we can’t support/keep happy 5 centre backs

Emery plays natural footed CBs at LCB and RCB. Lenglet was brought in after Mings injury as Torres cover. Carlos played LCB at Sevilla but Emery hasn't used him there

1 hour ago, paul514 said:

maybe Emery is intending to have the RB as the "attacking fullback" next season (aka Frimpong or someone similar), with the other 3 more defensive and the LB tucking in to a left of the central 3 when we go forward.

ie:

Hermoso - Pau - Konsa - Frimpong (or similar).

or

Mings - Pau - Konsa - Frimpong (or similar).

If Mings didnt lose anything from his injury (agility/pace etc), i think he would be great in the defensive left back role.

maybe Moreno will be the attacking LB option if needed, and we will offload Digne.

All complete guesswork ofc.

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I actually feel like as oppose to one " intention"... It's actually to be able to switch it up as we please, depending on opposition and gameflow.

We may need two attacking full backs here..

We may need two defensive fullbacks here 

We may need a defensive full back on the right here ( Or left )

Etc etc

ye, quite possibly.

27 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Emery plays natural footed CBs at LCB and RCB. Lenglet was brought in after Mings injury as Torres cover. Carlos played LCB at Sevilla but Emery hasn't used him there

so you think it is Mings for the chop then?

Edited by paul514

10 minutes ago, paul514 said:

so you think it is Mings for the chop then?

Nobody knows when Mings will be back. Hermoso Could also be replacing Digne 

• Like 1

Yeah Hermoso plays a lot at LB for Atletico so I wouldn’t automatically assume he’s taking over a main CB spot. Most likely he would be rotated between CB and LB depending on fitness/injury. 

11 hours ago, Zatman said:

Smith Rowe be a poor signing and type we ahould be going away from. Signing the dregs of the sky 6 is how they stay in power as clubs like Everton stupidly overpay

I think 'dregs' is harsh - but I would be wary of such a signing due to (a) cost, value for money - Arsenal will want big money for him, especially from us and (b) his injury record.
He was on the verge of the England squad, but could easily become someone who is suddenly 27, out of contract and has played 20 games in 5 years.

3 hours ago, duke313 said:

Options at the back next season:

Moreno Pau Carlos Konsa

Hermoso Pau Konsa Kosta

Moreno Hermoso Pau Konsa Kosta

I think he wants a mixture of CBs, and CBs who can play FB - giving us numbers and flexibility in how we play, plus an ability to rotate

So CBs - Pau, Mings, Carlos, Konsa, maybe Hermoso
LB - assume Moreno, Hermoso, maybe Pau or Mings - if we move on Digne
RB - I think we'll get a new first team starter, with Konsa covering - Cash could be moved on, given he is now probably at his highest value.

This would mean we could have 7 players for the back 4/5 positions. 
Probably add a youngster at each FB (the RB being the Croatian lad), plus CB - giving us some depth.

It feels thin on the ground, but suggests decent squad management - and allows us to shift 2 players for whom we could command a decent fee

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

No opinion just saying Emery plays natural footed CBs based on evidence so far 

I think it is a fair opinion, it would be odd to have 3 left footed centre backs out of 4.

I also think it would be an odd signing anyway, I read earlier he is on 8 million euros  per year, it wouldn't do our squad cost any good getting him on a free and it wouldn't be easy selling a 31 year old centre back for a decent price who has been out for a season next summer either.

I don't see it at all

Edited by paul514

I would love our very own Kulusevski to play off Watkins, someone who can both beat players and create, and have the physicality to hold their own.

Hopefully Diaby can get back to form ASAP, but I've not really seen much dribbling in him so far.

7 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

I would love our very own Kulusevski to play off Watkins, someone who can both beat players and create, and have the physicality to hold their own.

Hopefully Diaby can get back to form ASAP, but I've not really seen much dribbling in him so far.

I feel like Zaniolo could be exactly this player

• Like 3