January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

We’re either going to a back three, or he’s playing the LB version of Konsa with an attacking RB.

I think a natural Lenglet replacement in the summer. Can play as the 3rd/4th CB but sometimes a defensive LB if we get, say, Frimpong!

25 minutes ago, duke313 said:

We’re either going to a back three, or he’s playing the LB version of Konsa with an attacking RB.

We need a very progressive passer / carrier in LCB and that is Pau and another player.

Mings is our No1 for the central of the back 3 and Carlos the back up. Konsa in no1 RCB 

It seems the way Emery wants to go. Especially if we qualify for CL we'll need a deep squad ala the top sides. 

We're in a fascinating and difficult position. Squad- and performance-wise we are top 10ish in the world, but 21st for revenue. In the PL, 3rd but 11th for revenue. In the main, established players that can push us on are just not going to be affordable - we just can't shop where we want with financial restrictions and it's going to need at least 5 years of CL qualification to shift that. 

So Monchi has one hell of a job on his hands to either find the equivalents of Emi, Salah, KDB who have been mismanaged or a few McGinn gems or some Luiz types we can give a bit of time to develop (which looks like Jan's direction). And then Unai has to work his magic. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tayls said:

Sooooooo

What do we think? 

I think its a tactical change to the squad. We are interested in a left back/  left centreback ( Hermoso ) that doesnt bomb forward and a 18 year old rightback ( Kosta ) that does. 

So that would change our options at left back as both of them currently bomb forward. 

And then at right back you would have the option of safety in Konsa and attacking in Kosta. And a mix of both in Cash. 

Would bring the average age of the defence down a  little as well. Which is important as we have 5 very similarly aged players at the back currently. Carlos Mings Moreno Digne Chambers and Emi all 30-31. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

I think its a tactical change to the squad. We are interested in a left back/  left centreback ( Hermoso ) that doesnt bomb forward and a 18 year old rightback ( Kosta ) that does. 

So that would change our options at left back as both of them currently bomb forward. 

And then at right back you would have the option of safety in Konsa and attacking in Kosta. And a mix of both in Cash. 

Would bring the average age of the defence down a  little as well. Which is important as we have 5 very similarly aged players at the back currently. Carlos Mings Moreno Digne Chambers and Emi all 30-31. 

Options at the back next season:

Moreno Pau Carlos Konsa

Hermoso Pau Konsa Kosta

Moreno Hermoso Pau Konsa Kosta

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

Options at the back next season:

Moreno Pau Carlos Konsa

Hermoso Pau Konsa Kosta

Moreno Hermoso Pau Konsa Kosta

1 minute ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Mings? 

I also don't think Kosta is going to be starting over even Cash.

If Hermoso is on a free, then I'd be all on board with Frimpong. Would create a lot of dynamism for us and have lots of different options at fullback and 3 at the back formations.

5 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

I also don't think Kosta is going to be starting over even Cash.

If Hermoso is on a free, then I'd be all on board with Frimpong. Would create a lot of dynamism for us and have lots of different options at fullback and 3 at the back formations.

Players can be swapped, it was more to show we’d have options of 3 CBS and Attacking RB, 3 CBS and attacking LB, or 3 CBS and attacking RB and LB. The players don’t matter, whoever is fit and on form.

5 minutes ago, allani said:

Pau Konsa-Kosta sounds better.

Haha,i agree,and thought of it after i posted. They all do. 

Moreno Hermoso could have been a quite good greek midfielder playing in front of Pau Konsa Kosta.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, fleksnes said:

Haha,i agree,and thought of it after i posted. They all do. 

Moreno Hermoso could have been a quite good greek midfielder playing in front of Pau Konsa Kosta.

Love it!  That sounds like someone who would skin his opponent with a Cryuff turn and then 30 seconds later wipe them out in the mode of Chopper Harris!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, rubberman said:

In the main, established players that can push us on are just not going to be affordable - we just can't shop where we want with financial restrictions and it's going to need at least 5 years of CL qualification to shift that. 

I think your post is good but I just cannot agree with this statement. 

Dougie 15m, Konsa 11, McGinn 2, Youri 0, Kamara 0, Ramsey 0, Emi 20, Moreno 13, Cash 15, Torres, 30, Watkins 30, Bailey 30..... The players are about to compete and affordable, we just need to find more of what we have. We've spent very little to get where we are in the grand scheme of things. I don't think major work is needed. And yes, we can say they all needed development, but if it's not development it's time to settle, and sometimes those less established without the pressure can become the perfect buy. 

You don't need just established players, you need a mix. A bit of everything. A star or two next to a water carrier, next to a bundle of energy, next to a power house, next to a speedster. There are loads of ways to build a squad good enough to compete without thinking the only way to improve is buy increasing our individual spend all the time. The trick is having the right individuals to spot a) what we need to improve b) where to get them at the right price. They don't have to be superstars or expensive buys, they just need to be what we need not necessarily what everyone else wants. 

We are literally 3-4 players away from being a solid top squad that will compete with anyone on our day and in the PL for the next 5 years, that's the best you can ask for because nothing is guaranteed. The idea we cannot compete because we don't spend as much as the Chelsea's or Utd's is for those that want excuses. Look where spending has gotten them recently. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

I think your post is good but I just cannot agree with this statement. 

Dougie 15m, Konsa 11, McGinn 2, Youri 0, Kamara 0, Ramsey 0, Emi 20, Moreno 13, Cash 15, Torres, 30, Watkins 30, Bailey 30..... The players are about to compete and affordable, we just need to find more of what we have. We've spent very little to get where we are in the grand scheme of things. I don't think major work is needed. And yes, we can say they all needed development, but if it's not development it's time to settle, and sometimes those less established without the pressure can become the perfect buy. 

You don't need just established players, you need a mix. A bit of everything. A star or two next to a water carrier, next to a bundle of energy, next to a power house, next to a speedster. There are loads of ways to build a squad good enough to compete without thinking the only way to improve is buy increasing our individual spend all the time. The trick is having the right individuals to spot a) what we need to improve b) where to get them at the right price. They don't have to be superstars or expensive buys, they just need to be what we need not necessarily what everyone else wants. 

We are literally 3-4 players away from being a solid top squad that will compete with anyone on our day and in the PL for the next 5 years, that's the best you can ask for because nothing is guaranteed. The idea we cannot compete because we don't spend as much as the Chelsea's or Utd's is for those that want excuses. Look where spending has gotten them recently. 

Yes - I guess that is kind of the point I was trying to make. We have to continue to shop smart and I'm sure we will, but even if we wanted to splash out on a player, or a couple of Diaby price players we aren't going to be able to with our revenue so far behind our competitors. I wouldn't expect us to go on a chelsea spending spree but I if we can only spend say half of what those around us can it really is going to be hard to compete over the next few years as we have to be better in every other department. Hopefully we have the team in place to do that.