January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

Anderson looked like a world beater in his first season at West Ham and then faded. 

I can't speak to his Lazio career but if we're using frees to help improve the squad so we have the muscle to go for key first XI targets elsewhere then that sounds sensible enough to me. 

• Like 2

Really not keen on the idea of 30/31 year old players of dubious quality being signed. Makes me wonder if we’ve either lost our ambition or have FFP issues, but I’d rather we do nothing than litter the squad with aging players who don’t offer any improvements on the team. Free transfers are a good strategy when you’re bringing in players like Kamara and Tielemans who are quality (even if Tielemans had lost his way a bit at Leicester), not players like Anderson who’s already been poor in the league and going to be receiving his pension soon. Some of the other names mentioned as suggestions for a team in 2nd with a world class manager like Dele Alli, I mean WTF?

Hopefully people will regain their sanity soon and start talking about quality players who will actually improve us.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Two seasons at West Ham but strangely I can barely remember him there!

I remember him. Was going pretty well in FPL back then and remember him being extremely frustrating. Own blanks for ages sell, scores well, get back in then blanks for ages again

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Really not keen on the idea of 30/31 year old players of dubious quality being signed. Makes me wonder if we’ve either lost our ambition or have FFP issues, but I’d rather we do nothing than litter the squad with aging players who don’t offer any improvements on the team. Free transfers are a good strategy when you’re bringing in players like Kamara and Tielemans who are quality (even if Tielemans had lost his way a bit at Leicester), not players like Anderson who’s already been poor in the league and going to be receiving his pension soon. Some of the other names mentioned as suggestions for a team in 2nd with a world class manager like Dele Alli, I mean WTF?

Hopefully people will regain their sanity soon and start talking about quality players who will actually improve us.

🤨

• Like 4

Look for every example of one thing there's an example of the opposite, but people talking about Anderson at West Ham as if that's his entire career and therefore he's not that good, sound like people who still can't help themselves with mentioning Emery's time at Arsenal as if he'd never held another role before or since. 

The guy has played most minutes of every season since 14/15 and is consistently getting great numbers in the league. We are going to have to box clever to continue rising and this guy on a free looks good business. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

I remember him. Was going pretty well in FPL back then and remember him being extremely frustrating. Own blanks for ages sell, scores well, get back in then blanks for ages again

You know what, that rings a bell now, I'm sure I had him at some point as well.

29 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Day 5 of the window, that must be a record! 🏆

• Like 2

Lot of stuff still swirling that Djed Spence was recalled as he's being sold. We need a right back in the club, if we'd got him at the time he went to Spurs I'd have been absolutely buzzing. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, skarroki said:

Look for every example of one thing there's an example of the opposite, but people talking about Anderson at West Ham as if that's his entire career and therefore he's not that good, sound like people who still can't help themselves with mentioning Emery's time at Arsenal as if he'd never held another role before or since. 

The guy has played most minutes of every season since 14/15 and is consistently getting great numbers in the league. We are going to have to box clever to continue rising and this guy on a free looks good business. 

Great post.

Im neither for nor against Anderson (nor do I actually think we’ll sign him), but I respect the fact that FFP is a thing and not every player is going to be a £40m signing.

We have other areas to improve in the side. I’m pretty sure we’ll have two, new starting full backs in the side next season which are likely to be expensive so picking up a player on a free to cover, or start if he plays well, in any of the 55 matches we’ll play next season is good business.

Box clever indeed.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Makes me wonder if we’ve either lost our ambition

Brilliant! This on the 5th Jan, when we're second in the league.

Is it just because someone posted a bizarre list of knackered oldtimers in response to a question about players with 6 months left on their contracts? Because I'm pretty sure that's not the list Monchi and Unai are using.  

• Like 2

Just now, skarroki said:

Lot of stuff still swirling that Djed Spence was recalled as he's being sold. We need a right back in the club, if we'd got him at the time he went to Spurs I'd have been absolutely buzzing. 

And then you go and ruin it with this nonsense. Spence is a wasteman.

• Haha 1

Just now, rubberman said:

Is it just because someone posted a bizarre list of knackered oldtimers in response to a question about players with 6 months left on their contracts? Because I'm pretty sure that's not the list Monchi and Unai are using.  

So you’re telling me we won’t see Dele playing just off Antonio at B6 next season.. 🤔

14 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Great post.

Im neither for nor against Anderson (nor do I actually think we’ll sign him), but I respect the fact that FFP is a thing and not every player is going to be a £40m signing.

We have other areas to improve in the side. I’m pretty sure we’ll have two, new starting full backs in the side next season which are likely to be expensive so picking up a player on a free to cover, or start if he plays well, in any of the 55 matches we’ll play next season is good business.

Box clever indeed.

....and also this would be a typical Unai signing. He has always liked an experienced head in midflield (e.g Parejo at Villareal). Some also questioned Moreno initially.....

Edited by eholm

32 minutes ago, rubberman said:

Let’s get back to the topic at hand which is Anderson, would any of the following clubs go for him:

Spurs? No

Newcastle? No

Man Utd? Maybe, but they’re insane

Liverpool? No

Arsenal? No

Man City? NO!

I don’t care what players Unai has signed at other clubs like Villarreal, we’re Aston Villa, we’re competing against the best teams in the world. We have to avoid what we’ve done before so many times in the past in our long history, having 1-2 seasons of competing against the top teams then falling back into mediocrity. He might be free but it isn’t an encouraging link.

When we signed Coutinho, Digne, Carlos etc that wasn’t a good strategy because of their age. Anderson may not be demanding a transfer fee but it’s a player that will be stuck on our books well into his 30s. It’s why I wasn’t so keen on the Dybala link, although at least he is a top, top player.

I suppose I’m just a little bit more ambitious than the majority of our fan base, shoot me.

Edited by Leeroy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Leeroy said:

Makes me wonder if we’ve either lost our ambition We're 2nd in the league and the window is less than 100 hours old. 

not players like Anderson who’s already been poor in the league and going to be receiving his pension soon He's 30, not 60. Still has 3 to 4 years left at the very top. 

Hopefully people will regain their sanity soon I'm sat here hoping that you'll regain your sanity soon as well. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Why is Dele Ali being mentioned in this thread.  Something I would expect if Gerrard was still manager 🤣

I've given up responding to player mentions like this for fear of being accused of being negative

2 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Let’s get back to the topic at hand which is Anderson, would any of the following clubs go for him:

Spurs? No

Newcastle? No

Man Utd? Maybe, but they’re insane

Liverpool? No

Arsenal? No

Man City? NO!

I don’t care what players Unai has signed at other clubs like Villarreal, we’re Aston Villa, we’re competing against the best teams in the world. We have to avoid what we’ve done before so many times in the past in our long history, having 1-2 seasons of competing against the top teams then falling back into mediocrity. He might be free but it isn’t an encouraging link.

When we signed Coutinho, Digne, Carlos etc that wasn’t a good strategy because of their age. Anderson may not be demanding a transfer fee but it’s a player that will be stuck on our books well into his 30s. It’s why I wasn’t so keen on the Dybala link, although at least he is a top, top player.

I suppose I’m just a little bit more ambitious than the majority of our fan base, shoot me.

Absolutely correct on all points but the link seems like complete bullshit

• Like 1