January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

1 hour ago, VillanousOne said:

I'm hoping that some of the deals we tried to get over the line in the last few transfer windows come back around as clubs realise they will lose money as contracts run down

As well as us being in such a promising position that players want to join more 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Take this at face value or put it in the keeping things close to his chest file ? 

I think this is what will happen unless we lose a player to injury or something amazing comes up. I think we probably will add a younger player lile Duran last January

2 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Have to agree… it’s a wonderful opportunity to make ourselves stronger from such a promising and attractive position and even “status”… we should have a lot more appeal now and it’s easy to see how good our manager is and what incredible work he has already done… 

I wonder if we’ll go back to players who were undecided or even rejected us previously…

But… we shouldn’t be too disappointed if we don’t manage to bring many/in as higher level players are harder to attract and persuade… I do hope we at least try though…

We have an excellent base to build on and have managed to clear most of the undesirable or substandard players out (for now, need to shift permanent, and there are a couple more to go)…

What we need is that “next level” or comparable profile to Pau and an in-form Diaby…

Or… you get (younger?) players with potential to be just as good if not better in the very near future… like on of the Spanish RBs that keep being mentioned…

Not much point looking for anything less really…

Yes exactly getting in two players of their quality makes us more ‘sticky’ in the higher positions in the league now and in the future.

honestly I’d go balls to the wall now knowing we would have to sacrifice one of our high value players for FFP if it doesn’t work out 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, paul514 said:

Yes exactly getting in two players of their quality makes us more ‘sticky’ in the higher positions in the league now and in the future.

honestly I’d go balls to the wall now knowing we would have to sacrifice one of our high value players for FFP if it doesn’t work out 

It’s debatable/arguable whether we will be in this sort of position again UNLESS we take advantage of this time and opportunity too… 

I’m kind of with you… this is the time to act (if we can) rather than rest on our laurels and risk having regrets… that extra bit of insurance or protection could make all the difference…

Regardless, I’m sure Unai, Monchi and NSWE are well aware of all these factors and our abilities & limitations… 

I trust them to make the right decisions… can’t imagine any of them are complacent…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

It’s debatable/arguable whether we will be in this sort of position again UNLESS we take advantage of this time and opportunity too… 

I’m kind of with you… this is the time to act (if we can) rather than rest on our laurels and risk having regrets… that extra bit of insurance or protection could make all the difference…

Regardless, I’m sure Unai, Monchi and NSWE are well aware of all these factors and our abilities & limitations… 

I trust them to make the right decisions… can’t imagine any of them are complacent…

Not only that, if we aren't in the champions league we are likely to lose one of our high value players anyway because someone is willing to pay a stupid price at a team which is a step up.

3 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Yup and we've sort of been here before haven't we?

Heskey/Falcao and we went for Heskey I think it was?

Then Arsenal signed someone and proceeded to leapfrog us etc.

The key part, as you say though is " If we can "

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Arshavin

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Yes we have but… I think it’s very different now and the sport (as well as everything involved around/within it) has changed so much…

But what I want to emphasise is that I have NEVER seen us play the kind of football we have been under Unai… I’ve never seen such potential and such a defined and attractive aswell as entertaining style in any Aston Villa side before… and I have been watching/following us since the mid 90s…

Unai is the best manager we have ever had but we also have some really good players, a few who are genuinely top class, so… we are in the best position we have been in… in decades… we really need to grasp and exploit this opportunity to keep the momentum and progress going for which Unai is mostly responsible for…

However… I feel that we also have the best owners we’ve had too who are a lot wiser and more capable than previous ones… I can’t see them intentionally holding us back or limiting the manager as we have seen in the past… I’m delighted by the way we have fully embraced and supported Unai and basically given him free reign and full control - it was the most intelligent approach for what is… a truly elite manager and coach - we have really struck gold in that sense and need to give him whatever he needs and wants that is possible within our capabilities and (external 😡) limitations…

We’ve suffered badly for being complacent in the past… but this is a complete different era… and the one I have the most faith and belief in…

Let’s keep going and pushing and upsetting the long established applecart… it’s about bloody time.

THIS IS ASTON VILLA!

So sign some good players please 😂

One we can put to rest I think… 

I’m most hopeful for a DM and RB personally… most important imo. We need less reliance on players such as Kamara.

Only so much we can do in Jan… Summer windows will be “bigger”…

5 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Yeah but O’Neil wasted a hell of a lot of money (fees and stupid wages) on crap basically too… so… I could see Lerner’s point of view a bit as well. He was well backed then threw his toys out of the pram n walked out on us when the taps were turned off…says he regrets it all now… too late mate…

Plus, he mostly favoured British or “known” (those he’d previously worked with) players to foreign players really… 

But Falcao would have been amazing, for sure… although, we didn’t exactly play attractive/stylish football under MON…

John Gregory wanted to do “a lot” in terms of strengthening but was constantly hamstrung by Ellis (however, he deserves some credit for keeping us financially stable and not taking huge risks but… I think he could have helped more too)…

JG scouted River Plate players such as Aimar and Saviola… another player or two alongside Angel may have helped him out too… because the club royally effed up in terms of helping him to settle and overcome personal/family issues (did F all basically…)

One signing he really wanted was Izzet (not such a fan of that one 😆) but Ellis refused and gave JG a line about not needing any more players when we were top of the league 🙄… we fell away to 6th…

Oh and let’s not forget Juninho…

There were many instances and examples..

But, as I’ve said, these are completely different times and we have employed completely different people…

We actually have football people making important decisions, for example…

I’m confident that Unai will only go for players that he wants and rates… if we can’t get them, we won’t sign anyone… and that’s fine by me… but… so long as we’ve tried…

I don’t believe Monchi will “override” him in any transfer decisions either… rather, working as a team and in harmony…

Just imagine what we could do if FFP wasn’t a factor and it was a “level playing field”…

Oh well…

We’ll do it our n the right way…

UTV

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Yeah but O’Neil wasted a hell of a lot of money (fees and stupid wages) on crap basically too… so… I could see Lerner’s point of view a bit as well. He was well backed then threw his toys out of the pram n walked out on us when the taps were turned off…says he regrets it all now… too late mate…

100% loser manager that lived off of Robertson first team coach until he retired then flopped everywhere he went afterwards

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

100% loser manager that lived off of Robertson first team coach until he retired then flopped everywhere he went afterwards

Agreed, the wrong guy to have been given so much freedom and control (a big mistake by Lerner who maybe should have employed more intelligent and capable people around him) and he wasted our resources in the main. It was a generally enjoyable time while it lasted with players such as Laursen, Barry, Milner, Petrov, Young, Carew and even Gabby(!) playing so well for us but… he wasted a lot of dosh on a lot of crap and did not know how to manage a squad and how to manage different personalities… we’ve been suffering ever since really until Deano arrived…

We have the right man (he is leagues beyond/above him) now to trust and allow to work freely and build, mould and elevate a squad to greater heights… Unai is the one.

If we can continue to evolve the team/squad by offloading players not up to the required level and bring in replacements that are actual upgrades… the future will be very rosy. 

He knows what he is doing, and is doing it with style, and won’t jeopardise our status and future - we will thrive with Unai and co.

• Like 1

Anyway… how soon/late do we think we’ll bring anyone in and… who is most likely to leave?

Don’t get much of a feeling that there will be any takers for Chambers… there was a link to Everton for Dendoncker last time around, maybe that can be revived…

A few incoming funds would be welcome but we’re limited by what we can generate and who we can shift…

However, the sales of youngsters like Aaron Ramsey (how’s he getting on?), JPB and Archer should have helped us…

Also… is it possible to spend big now and try and make up the deficit/funds by selling players (including those out on loan) in the summer? If we really are so constricted by FFP? Is it that big a factor for us? Don’t really know where we stand with it but I just feel we have the capability and capacity to strengthen…

Doesn’t sound like any sort of CF will be brought in, faith shown in Duran with players like Zaniolo and Diaby able to cover Ollie too who has been really robust for us ever since he arrived… my admiration for him has grown since he signed that new contract too… he deserves the support and warmth from us fans… has done well…

Again… I hope RB and DM are the priority positions…

A forward would be welcome but it would have to be better than anyone we have, there’s no point otherwise, and it would be costly…