Christmas 2023

sidcow

10 hours ago, Xela said:

I'm not sure we'll have a Christmas do this year, as in a proper meal. Left it too late to organise. We all get £30 'grant' off the company, and i'm more than happy to have 10 pints of Ruddles in 'Spoons with a chosen few workmates.  

I've been able to take my £30 in Amazon vouchers in the past. Hope that continues going forwards. I'd end up spending 3 or 4 times that getting a train and hotel if my team did do a night out.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

I've been able to take my £30 in Amazon vouchers in the past. Hope that continues going forwards. I'd end up spending 3 or 4 times that getting a train and hotel if my team did do a night out.

Bizarre timing but just had the email come through confirming vouchers are available again. 

They've also upped it to £50 which is a very pleasant surprise. 

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

@Xela posting in the day, in the week? He must be off till February now surely.

You would never believe it but I have worked for the last fifteen Christmas periods at least! I don't mind as work is quiet. 

I am off today though ;)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sidcow said:

This seems to be the way we're going each year. 

"Oops, seem to have left it too late to book anywhere" 

Here's £30 a person, go do something as a team. 

How much would an actual proper Christmas Party cost per head? Easily £100 plus I would say. 

We're making shit loads of money, why can't we at least have a proper big party? 

And also, who IS still having these big expensive Christmas parties?  If we're not paying out those sort of sums I'd love to know who is.  Every hotel in town and at The NEC will likely be choca full of companies hosting stupidly expensive tables of staff. 

Best Christmas Party we ever had was a 70's and 80's fancy dress at The Burlington. Everyone made an effort and 2 of our guys in top 70s fancy dress (think Carwash meets Saturday Night Fever) had a dance off with the whole room making space for them clapping and cheering. Was immense. 

We used to have quite extravagant parties pre 2008 global recession. Rented out hotels, halls at the ICC, had semi famous (local radio) DJs play etc. They've been a lot more low key in recent years. All about the 'optics' nowadays. 

I used to work for EDS and subsequently Cap Gemini and the Christmas parties were excellent for both of them, held in the icc in Telford and always a free bar, entertainment, great food. Loved them, but always ended up being that guy. Once had a company wide email sent out where I was the unnamed subject following one party. 

I have been fairly lucky with parties and the firm shelling out for them, this years should be good as it will give me the chance to talk to people face to face for the first time, as opposed to over teams.

My grandson is writing his letter to Father Christmas tonight, probably the point where we start thinking properly about Christmas. He will be wanting a telescope and a lankybox gift pack, as that is what Father Christmas has already got him.

• Like 1