Baldur's gate 3

Straggler

On 14/08/2023 at 12:58, Straggler said:

It is undeniably a bit of a horney game

It's one of the few things that lets it down for me. The romance and gratuitous sex and nudity makes it look like a 13 year old got their hands on the development process, it's a bit cringeworthy. And everything beyond Act 1 is absolutely riddled with bugs.

Bloody brilliant fun,, but Larian really needs to do better than putting Act 1 in EA for years, polishing the shit out of that, then letting everything after be much thinner on content, and riddled with several quest breaking (and some game breaking) bugs, it's the same shit they've pulled 3 releases in a row.

I'm still having a good time with it, but it's not the 10/10 masterpiece it's being painted as - maybe if the rest of the game held up to Act 1.

• Like 2

On 16/08/2023 at 11:00, Davkaus said:

It's one of the few things that lets it down for me. The romance and gratuitous sex and nudity makes it look like a 13 year old got their hands on the development process, it's a bit cringeworthy. And everything beyond Act 1 is absolutely riddled with bugs.

Bloody brilliant fun,, but Larian really needs to do better than putting Act 1 in EA for years, polishing the shit out of that, then letting everything after be much thinner on content, and riddled with several quest breaking (and some game breaking) bugs, it's the same shit they've pulled 3 releases in a row.

I'm still having a good time with it, but it's not the 10/10 masterpiece it's being painted as - maybe if the rest of the game held up to Act 1.

Agreed, it's the weakest part I think. The romance system isn't very well designed. I didn't actively go that way and haven't done the deed with anyone, but all four make conpanions I have want to bone me (a male lead) like there's no tomorrow so apparently something I did made me gau as ****. I don't really care either way, but dialike how it sort was hidden from me and not really explained. 

• 3 weeks later...

Absolutely cracking game. Currently playing split screen with the wife and whilst it is clearly more buggy than the PC version (already had 1 patch in the last week); its clear why it is getting the praise that it is. 

Resource management though... want to cast all the f***ing spells... 

31 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

Absolutely cracking game. Currently playing split screen with the wife and whilst it is clearly more buggy than the PC version (already had 1 patch in the last week); its clear why it is getting the praise that it is. 

Resource management though... want to cast all the f***ing spells... 

Yeah, I have two thoughts on it personally. The world, the characters, the writing (other than the hamfisted romance mentioned above), I love it.

5th Edition DnD rules are a bit of a drawback though, for me. Divinity: Original Sin was just more fun because they've been able to build a combat system from the ground up to be fun in games, rather than being faithful to DnD. In Original Sin by characters feel more powerful, more customisable, there's more emphasis on equipment, and I had way more options in terms of how I can build my party - don't want companions? Go for the Lone Wolf and have fewer chars that get a massive power boost. Plus much more powerful surface and other environmental effects that are present in BG3 but toned down

It's still fun, I'm loving this game, but combat is the worst part of it (just like actual DnD, tbh).

I just started Act 3 last night, and I can't wait to have another go tonight, but I'm also really looking forward to finishing and having another blast through Original Sin. Might not hold up as well as it does in my memory.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Yeah, I have two thoughts on it personally. The world, the characters, the writing (other than the hamfisted romance mentioned above), I love it.

5th Edition DnD rules are a bit of a drawback though, for me. Divinity: Original Sin was just more fun because they've been able to build a combat system from the ground up to be fun in games, rather than being faithful to DnD. In Original Sin by characters feel more powerful, more customisable, there's more emphasis on equipment, and I had way more options in terms of how I can build my party - don't want companions? Go for the Lone Wolf and have fewer chars that get a massive power boost. Plus much more powerful surface and other environmental effects that are present in BG3 but toned down

It's still fun, I'm loving this game, but combat is the worst part of it (just like actual DnD, tbh).

I just started Act 3 last night, and I can't wait to have another go tonight, but I'm also really looking forward to finishing and having another blast through Original Sin. Might not hold up as well as it does in my memory.

Yeah playing actual DnD though has helped on the mechanics side though with combat. I've found the ability to push/pull has helped massively with the environment. Wyll having Repellent Blast (pushes enemy 10ft with Eldritch Blast) and spell sniper made short work of 1 fight in particular...

Just wrapping up the ancillary stuff around Act 1 and then heading through to Act 2; deliberating which path to go. 

I think only played Divinity: Original Sins 2 and definitely enjoyed it, but I can't really recall the mechanics etc. with it!

On 12/09/2023 at 18:22, cyrusr said:

Yeah playing actual DnD though has helped on the mechanics side though with combat. I've found the ability to push/pull has helped massively with the environment. Wyll having Repellent Blast (pushes enemy 10ft with Eldritch Blast) and spell sniper made short work of 1 fight in particular...

Just wrapping up the ancillary stuff around Act 1 and then heading through to Act 2; deliberating which path to go. 

I think only played Divinity: Original Sins 2 and definitely enjoyed it, but I can't really recall the mechanics etc. with it!

How do you know when you're heading to act 2?

Is that when you...

Reach Moonrise Towers (I currently have the choice of two routes

27 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Is that when you...

Hide contents

Err not got there yet but I think so!

Spoiler

Currently done most of the underdark bit but now going to have a look through the mountain path now. 

To be honest, now hit level 5, it is has improved combat wise (like D&D). Only thrown 1 fireball so far though. I am disappointed in myself.... 

• Like 1

I think combat in D&D is a bit shit, and it shows in the game. The game has the advantage of being much more visually appealing, giving it much more dynamism. I am not very fond of D&D as a system in general, but BG3 really makes the most out of it, and Larian really excelled at capturing that, “Ok, this might sound insane, but this is what my character will do” feeling where you really can handle situations and solve problems in so many different ways. It’s nuts really. Bloody awesome game, even 100 hours in. 

• Like 1

On 15/09/2023 at 10:25, Wainy316 said:

Is that when you...

Hide contents

When you go to the curse shadow lands.

Wilderness and underdark are act 1.

The mountain passage is kind of act 1.5.

Shadow cursed lands are act 2.

Personally I do wilderness and underdark complete, then move on to the mountain passage, then on to act 2.

Edited by MaVilla

• 1 month later...
Â