Future Club Crest & Brand Identity

fightoffyour

If the FA says consultation - it should be a multi phase, open ended consultation process - not a closed question, already decided, questionnaire only sent to a tiny fraction of the fan base.  (I was included in Purslow's questionnaire, but excluded from the final vote - fair enough due to level of membership, but wasn't even included in Heck's "loaded"  questionnaire  - and when I emailed to ask why, was ignored.)

The 'new' results conflict with the much larger results and overwhelming consensus from last year - why not blend the results, do a next round of consultation - 256 pages on here suggests the fan base does not feel adequately 'consulted'.

Take this information to the design agencies and get them to pitch their range of ideas - (anyone know who the design agency is for this latest design?!)

Following a more transparent process and after also engaging the FCG, rather than just presenting to them, then perhaps put forward 3 or 4 options to the membership/season ticket holders/people with significant ticket history for final feedback - then the fans feel consulted, and it protects against rogue feedback. As a design agency might pitch 3 or 4 ideas to a company for a new logo.

Heck stated that the badge was 'with the fans...' I presume for feedback - can anyone on here tell me they were consulted after this?

Within this process the fanbase, feels consulted, and even if the club (and agency) have a preordained option, the club knows how popular it will be, and can gauge the overall feeling before spending significant amounts on rebranding across the entire operation - and maybe encountering (more) embarrassing feedback in the media.

I understand that design by committee is the failing of many badges/logos etc - but the current process and outcome is laughable - its unbalanced, weak, the wrong colours and scales very poorly, with a blobby lion that is being used by other companies and even clubs in their media - surely it should be copyrighted.

What price the negative reaction, feedback, media coverage, and lack of brand awareness, with potential for another redesign in the next few years?   

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Not only that but they did a whole process in 2022 which resulted in a total rebrand and then they just hoped we would forget about it by declaring it a 41st anniversary badge for 1982! Then they just walked us back to the previous Unpopular concept.

It's been sub par in this department, at best.

Edited by Captain_Townsend
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

They can't possibly satisfy people with any sort of consultation process at this point. We've had too much fan input, a lot of which was line ball in terms of vote and other stuff which contradicts previous fan consultation. Now the fans have too much expectation that they'll get input and also that previous fan consultation is sacrosanct. It's design by committee that has ruined our badges for 17 years. 

Next time we do this, if the fan consultation involves any sort of survey questions about badge elements, we'll end up with another below par badge. Fan consultation should be done at the very start of the process and should be about themes and feelings only. Not elements. 

This badge isn't bad because we failed to consult, this badge is bad because it got swept up in cost cutting. Which begs the question, why change the badge at all from the most recent iteration of the Lerner badge?

Well one way not to satisfy everyone, in fact to p*** them off, is to;

1. Tell them that their opinion is important. That they are stakeholders in the decision making process.

2. Then have them register their views.

3. Announce the result with a fanfare.

4. After a bit, tell them their views are now worthless and that the club is doing what they want. Period.

5. Implement a minor adjustment to a badge everyone hates.

6. Drop shadow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, thabucks said:

Only 16’000 fans responded out of the 85’ 000 eligible … just under 20% - which is pretty poor IMO. 

Why would they respond. They were previously asked their opinion, and then were roundly ignored. (See what I did there). 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Why would they respond. They were previously asked their opinion, and then were roundly ignored. (See what I did there). 

Only 21’500 out of again circa 85’000 eligible responded to the initial survey. Around a quarter. Maybe if more fans bothered to then we would’ve got a differing result. 

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Only 21’500 out of again circa 85’000 eligible responded to the initial survey. Around a quarter. Maybe if more fans bothered to then we would’ve got a differing result. 

Hmm. So over 25% of those who responded first time around simply didn't second time around.

That is statistically significant and I know you are a fan of hard data and we mustn't present opinion as fact.

Edited by Captain_Townsend

Posted (edited)

Well you can look at it many ways that 75% fans didn’t engage with the process for whatever reason I’m not going to speculate on.

This seasons successes for me have far outweighed what’s going on with the badge. I get that it means  more to some than others.

factually It says our name which fans wanted, the star remains which fans wanted, it has the year we were founded which fans wanted. The direction of the lion has reverted back to what the fans wanted. facts not opinions based on the data. 

No denying that @Teale's 'tache and other’s on here have designed some absolutely beautiful badges which are far better than what we’re getting. Maybe the club should’ve asked the fans to design the crest, they didn’t and I’m going to wait for the full reveal before passing judgement. 

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

What are people’s thoughts on PREPARED being reintroduced potentially either on the kit under the badge or somewhere else ? Seems fitting to me for our 150th year anniversary 

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, thabucks said:

What are people’s thoughts on PREPARED being reintroduced potentially either on the kit under the badge or somewhere else ? 

Feels a bit text heavy if we are going to have Aston Villa, 1874, Prepared & AV150 along with the sponsors.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, thabucks said:

What are people’s thoughts on PREPARED being reintroduced potentially either on the kit under the badge or somewhere else ? Seems fitting to me for our 150th year anniversary 

I don't think it will be on the kit (or at least not under the badge - it might be a feature somewhere else).

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Could we end up with something like this? Or is it going to be the flat & shadow crap?

spacer.png

Our new sponsors used the flat & shadow crap. Therefore, most indications are that this will be what we end up with. The detailed lion will be amazing in relation. Also a claret or gold colored lion will be better than the yellow one.

21 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Don’t think we should worry too much based on the location of the murals. From the proposed designs I think it’s gunna be a pretty spectacular space. I do think the pitched roofs are perfect for the adidas logo which they’ve not done - yet. 

IMG_9993.jpeg

IMG_9992.png

IMG_9991.webp

I hope they paint the all the exposed brickwork, as it looks a bit like some random person has graffitied the side of the building atm.

The detailed lion will be on the badges on the kit I reckon. The shit clip art one will be on everything  else. 

thats how it was with the most recent Lerner badge

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HKP90 said:

Well one way not to satisfy everyone, in fact to p*** them off, is to;

1. Tell them that their opinion is important. That they are stakeholders in the decision making process.

2. Then have them register their views.

3. Announce the result with a fanfare.

4. After a bit, tell them their views are now worthless and that the club is doing what they want. Period.

5. Implement a minor adjustment to a badge everyone hates.

6. Drop shadow.

Oh don't get me wrong, we've handled this very poorly.

But clearly the club have made a financial decision here, and then tried to shoehorn in the fan consultation to appease fans who will get angry if they aren't consulted (because we'd consulted to the n'th degree on the previous two badges and set a standard that is hard to walk back).

So they've given us this half measure fix where they've fixed the name on the badge and added a drop shadow in the worst way imaginable to fix the contrast issue and are going to try to sell it as best they can as giving us what the fans asked for (and they're partially right).

What they should have done is just reverted to the Lerner badge until they were ready to do this properly. 

Â