Future Club Crest & Brand Identity

fightoffyour

6 hours ago, R.Bear said:

Well all of those teams brand their club better than we do so maybe you should care.

Personally, I'm grateful for the return of your infallible opinions. 

I don't agree, but I appreciate your benevolence in making yourself available to tell me that's just because I'm stupid, ignorant or just flat out wrong. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, R.Bear said:

Well all of those teams brand their club better than we do so maybe you should care.

This is the thing.

The recent approach of surveys and shoehorning in bits of our history has meant we haven't had a genuinely good badge (for it's time) since the 80s. That round badge is clearly very dated now, but I think we can all see that it was a pretty good badge for the 70s when it was first used.

I can't speak to what the idea was with the 90s/2000s Ellis era striped badges or the process that was used to design them. But the modern badges since Lerner have had what I think is a clearly flawed process where we've ended up with effective designs by committee, having to try to please too many people and ultimately genuinely pleasing very few of them, and that goes for the round badge on this year's kits as well.

Heck came in and talked about "leaving it to the experts" and I thought finally, we'll get a badge that isn't bogged down by this stuff, but of course it's turned out that his badge change was just a cost cutting exercise because it was going to be too expensive to do a proper rebrand.

Our approach hasn't got us a good result for 30+ years and we need to change it.

It's bad enough when sky pretend football was invented in 1992!

Our name is carved into that Champions League trophy,  let us not, ourselves, play up the plucky old Aston Villa in their 'first ever CL campaign' !

Edited by Captain_Townsend
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Captain_Townsend said:

It's bad enough when sky pretend football was invented in 1992!

Our name is carved into that Champions League trophy,  let us not, ourselves, play up the plucky old Aston Villa in their 'first ever CL campaign' !

But it would be our first CL campaign. Yes it's the same competition, but the CL era, like the Premier League era, was a new chapter in football and whether we like it or not the exposure that came with it was a huge change.

But either way, phrase it as "our first european cup campaign for 42 years" if you like. The sentiment in my post is the same

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

If anything, villa winning makes me care more.

We might be on the verge of Villa having a huge surge in exposure. Our first ever Champions League campaign. Suddenly we'll be getting a lot more attention.

I really hope that new exposure doesn't result in this monstrosity being beamed into people's homes

6QNNTUDJIVFN3DL5HT5Y6PBK3A.jpg

It won't be. They have trademarked the one with the detailed lion now. It's still shit, albeit a more palatable version.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

It won't be. They have trademarked the one with the detailed lion now. It's still shit, albeit a more palatable version.

Oh I know it won't be that one. I was just using it as an example of how crap it would be to have a shit badge accompanying our sudden increase in exposure

• Like 1

22 hours ago, gwi1890 said:

I think eventually the crest will be lion only hence the move towards a more detailed lion. 

It's why keeping the star makes some sense. There are a few clubs with lion emblems, so having the lion and star makes it more recognisable.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Maybe, for all our sakes, they have decided its best to keep it until summer.

Still nothing from the club, no news or information of any kind on this… crazy…

Where is the communication?

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Still nothing from the club, no news or information of any kind on this… crazy…

Where is the communication?

I asked Heck as I walked past him last night during the game and also said he might want to rethink his stand plans as champions league mag not happen.

He didn't reply.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

6 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I asked Heck as I walked past him last night during the game and also said he might want to rethink his stand plans as champions league mag not happen.

He didn't reply.

He's a miserable bastard. At the Newcastle home game, their CEO Amanda Staveley was walking round chatting to fans and was genuinely lovely. A couple of people tried to engage Heck and he was having none of it. Short arse syndrome.

1 hour ago, Risso said:

He's a miserable bastard. At the Newcastle home game, their CEO Amanda Staveley was walking round chatting to fans and was genuinely lovely. A couple of people tried to engage Heck and he was having none of it. Short arse syndrome.

He's been employed by the owners but so far I really struggle to see anything positive he's done. Maybe our revenue is better I guess. Who knows.

• Like 1

On 05/02/2024 at 12:34, Stevo985 said:

But it would be our first CL campaign. Yes it's the same competition, but the CL era, like the Premier League era, was a new chapter in football and whether we like it or not the exposure that came with it was a huge change.

But either way, phrase it as "our first european cup campaign for 42 years" if you like. The sentiment in my post is the same

The simple non arguable fact is that we were once the champions of Europe, they have changed the competition’s name and format but thevaim is still the same, which is to be crowned the champions of Europe, just as winning the PL still makes you the champions of England the same as it did in 1981. UTV!!!!!

• Thanks 1

Just now, DaveAV1 said:

The simple non arguable fact is that we were once the champions of Europe, they have changed the competition’s name and format but thevaim is still the same, which is to be crowned the champions of Europe, just as winning the PL still makes you the champions of England the same as it did in 1981. UTV!!!!!

Great. I don't disagree with any of that.

But you would say Villa have never won the premier league in the same way you'd say villa have never won the champions league.

That doesn't mean we've not won top flight league titles or european titles.

The fact is the European competition exploded in popularity when it became the Champions League. And there are millions and millions of fans around the world who don't currently recognise Villa as a Champions League team. They don't care if we won the equivalent competition 40 years ago. In the same way most people wouldn't recognise Red Star Belgrade as being a big name in European football.

Getting into the Champions League for the first time would bring huge amounts of exposure that we haven't had before, so to do that with an embarrassingly bad crest would be a shame

• Like 2

Just now, DaveAV1 said:

If there’s anything that stands out that’s different, it’s thst in 1982 to qualify for the premier competition in Europe you had to be the champions of your own country, whereas now to qualify for wheat is ironically called the Champions League you just have to have done quite well either in the league or won a lesser European competition but not actually be Champions of your own country. I’m not particularly critical of how the qualification is done, as I’ve always thought that it was harder to win the UEFA cup against a range of quality teams throughout Europe rather than just the best team in a wide range of teams from countries who play in leagues of varying quality. It’s all about the dosh of course! Cynical me??

54 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

In the same way most people wouldn't recognise Red Star Belgrade as being a big name in European football.

I think that’s more to do with being consistently successful in Europe because you wouldn’t either say Marseille or Porto are big names in European football and they’ve won the cup since it’s been renamed.

Without doubt CL will give us more exposure along with combining with the massive exposure of fighting at the top of the Premier League and yes a poor crest would be a massive shame.

Â