Future Club Crest & Brand Identity

fightoffyour

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Agreed.

We’ve had loads of badges, too many… most have gotten on with it and accepted them. Different times too…

But can we please get something good and relevant this time? Especially after being asked and “consulted” (yeah right!) about it ✅ for once.

And can we stick with it? It’s all we really ask…

Lerner just unnecessarily turned it on its head with your favourite blue and yellow colour scheme and now we are stuck with that shit… 

19 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Well it makes a big difference; the new badge looks shit for a multitude of reasons, but the big problem compared to the Lerner crest that the former is evolved from is putting the lion at the top and creating in balance. This new mock up has removed that issue, but we have no evidence the actual new badge will look like that.

Sure mate, I’m just clueless is all 😂

11 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

There’s a way to “modernise” without completely foregoing and ignoring elements of the past and the history of the club…

wanting to hold on to to part of that or retain some of that… doesn’t make someone stubborn or a “relic”… most people are open to some change, as long as it’s not too radical and sacrificing too much… don’t see what’s wrong with that at all…

There is more than one way of looking at and approaching this kind of thing mate…

Most of the old villa badges are poor, so moving away from the past might not be a bad thing. I mean what is the whole lion sticking is tongue out thing all about FFS?!  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Made In Aston said:

I mean what is the whole lion sticking is tongue out thing all about FFS?!  

It's the Scottish heraldic lion - taken on by the club to recognise our Scottish founders and the role that the Scots played in our development. 

We didn't pick the lion because we wanted a fierce animal to represent us, we didn't then design different lions in an effort to find a lion we liked - we wanted to reflect the Scottish basis in how we started out, so we took the Scottish heraldic lion and made it a centrepiece of who we are.

You can make a case for suggesting it makes more sense to replace it with a thistle than it does to design a new lion that doesn't represent that Scottish heraldry.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

It’s just a J…

the old badge has so much class and appeal to it… history…

and it still works..

spacer.png

Oh well, different opinions…

It's not just a J though. From a marketing perspective, it is distinctive, unique design, instantly recognisable (like the Nike swoosh) , modern and works in pretty much every context/application. Whether you like it or not is another question, but design wise it is spot on. 

Football has changed a lot since it's inception. Attracting a global fan base is the priority for most clubs and the badge is a big part of that. The badge is no longer just an identifier, it is primarily part of the marketing, so needs to convey a certain image and identity which people are drawn to. 

Edited by Made In Aston
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Most of the old villa badges are poor, so moving away from the past might not be a bad thing. I mean what is the whole lion sticking is tongue out thing all about FFS?!  

Everything from the last 30 years has been awful, agreed.  It's why there was so much support for the round badge - that one was the nicest one we've had in most fans' living memory.  In the early 70's we had a stand-alone Lion on some of the kits.  

The striped badges from the 90's were terrible, and then were compounded by the Lerner monstrosity.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

It's the Scottish heraldic lion - taken on by the club to recognise our Scottish founders and the role that the Scots played in our development. 

We didn't pick the lion because we wanted a fierce animal to represent us, we didn't then design different lions in an effort to find a lion we liked - we wanted to reflect the Scottish basis in how we started out, so we took the Scottish heraldic lion and made it a centrepiece of who we are.

You can make a case for suggesting it makes more sense to replace it with a thistle than it does to design a new lion that doesn't represent that Scottish heraldry.

It's doesn't make a lion with a massive tongue sticking out any less bizarre though, Scottish or not. 

1 minute ago, Made In Aston said:

It's not just a J though. From a marketing perspective, it is distinctive, unique design, instantly recognisable (like the Nike swoosh) , modern and works in pretty much every context/application. Whether you like it or not is another question, but design wise it is spot on. 

I think the original crest was distinctive, fairly unique or close to it, recognisable… and beautiful… couldn’t be mistaken for anything else.

Rather than this modern age, popularism, social/digital media appeal bs

imo anyway 

anyway, it’s not really that relevant here 😂

2 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

It's doesn't make a lion with a massive tongue sticking out any less bizarre though, Scottish or not. 

Coventry have got an elephant with a castle on it's back and a bird that's on fire. Consider us lucky!

• Haha 4

16 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

It’s just a J…

the old badge has so much class and appeal to it… history…

and it still works..

spacer.png

Oh well, different opinions…

Thing is, that is not the "old" badge. It's a 2017 badge. That's recent. 

I think the "J" really works. It simplifies everything that the Juventus badge is about. 

I would like for Villa to do something similar. But we haven't got stripes. 

Some sort of design genius could make "AV" in a similar style. I'd like to see it. We could leave the lion just like Juve left the stallion. To me, not a single element (other than colours) is a necessary element of the club badge. 

But I appreciate English football fans aren't very open to change. 

Juventus-Logo-history.jpg

4 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

I think the original crest was distinctive, fairly unique or close to it, recognisable… and beautiful… couldn’t be mistaken for anything else.

Rather than this modern age, popularism, social/digital media appeal bs

imo anyway 

anyway, it’s not really that relevant here 😂

It's relevant in that we are looking at what other clubs have done successfully with their logos and considering if we could incorporate some of that into ours. 😂

🤮 

prefer all previous to the J, the previous version and actual badge was a proper upgrade or modernisation that looked beautiful 

not on board with that thinking at all

-

it would be horrible for us to make such a severe departure too.

anyway, enough about Juventus 

when do we actually get to see the new, proposed badge?

and what’s the difference between crest and badge btw? 🤷‍♂️

4 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Thing is, that is not the "old" badge. It's a 2017 badge. That's recent. 

I think the "J" really works. It simplifies everything that the Juventus badge is about. 

I would like for Villa to do something similar. But we haven't got stripes. 

Some sort of design genius could make "AV" in a similar style. I'd like to see it. We could leave the lion just like Juve left the stallion. To me, not a single element (other than colours) is a necessary element of the club badge. 

But I appreciate English football fans aren't very open to change. 

Juventus-Logo-history.jpg

Their horse appears to have been both a zebra and a bull in its past. No wonder they binned the animal off. 

Just now, Made In Aston said:

It's relevant in that we are looking at what other clubs have done successfully with their logos and considering if we could incorporate some of that into ours. 😂

spacer.png

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, FLVillan said:

Everything from the last 30 years has been awful, agreed.  It's why there was so much support for the round badge - that one was the nicest one we've had in most fans' living memory.  In the early 70's we had a stand-alone Lion on some of the kits.  

The striped badges from the 90's were terrible, and then were compounded by the Lerner monstrosity.

I quite like the 90s one, probably because I associated with me being young and villa actually winning trophies.

Edited by The Fun Factory

3 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I quite like the 90s one, probably it is associated with me being young and villa actually winning trophies.

No, no, god no. Etc 

7 hours ago, Jas10 said:

I know we needed to change badges to signify a new era, but I'll say it again, the badge in the screenshot above is really clean. It really shines against the claret of our shirts.

Â