Future Club Crest & Brand Identity

fightoffyour

4 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

One last time before this sorry saga is over (for now...)

Done a little more work on the gaslamp version and how it would work in a brand.

spacer.png

Works on any background...

spacer.png

Works in monochrome...

spacer.png

Has different components that can be used individually across a brand...

spacer.png

Looks good on a kit...

spacer.png

And as someone previously mentioned, the unique gaslamp shape can be used in the brand as well...

spacer.png

(forgive the Watkins image being old, knocked this up in a rush)

This is the kind of thing I was hoping for, by the looks I'm going to be very disappointed 😔

The problem I have with the shape is you only know it’s a gas lamp shape if you know. Is there anyway the design could look more like or have more features of a gas lamp so non villa fans could get it otherwise it just looks like a weird shield imo.

8 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

Here's the thing, you don't have to get it. It doesn't have to be recognisable as a gaslamp shape. It would be a shape that is unique to us, that nobody else will use. It makes us instantly recognisable and has a meaning for those who want it to have meaning.

It works for those who love all the heritage stuff and for those who know nothing about us, having a unique shape will help us to stand out from the crowd.

Fair enough!

25 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

Done a little more work on the gaslamp version and how it would work in a brand.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Works in monochrome...

spacer.png

spacer.png

Looks good on a kit...

spacer.png

And as someone previously mentioned, the unique gaslamp shape can be used in the brand as well...

spacer.png

This is the kind of thing I was hoping for, by the looks I'm going to be very disappointed 😔

That's so much better than the official offering. Is this a way this can be shown to the Club?

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Works in monochrome...

spacer.png

spacer.png

Looks good on a kit...

spacer.png

spacer.png

It's crazy how easily these put all the recent versions of the club's badge to shame. It's sooo good.

It's these sort of fan badges which use actual design elements the club has come up with (with this using the badge shape, the new lion, etc.) that are both so good and that hurt the most. Shows how impressively, in a depressing way, they've botched the final thing so disastrously twice now: despite having come up with a bunch of ideas which put together properly could look insanely good.

Edited by wishywashy
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

Here's the thing, you don't have to get it. It doesn't have to be recognisable as a gaslamp shape. It would be a shape that is unique to us, that nobody else will use. It makes us instantly recognisable and has a meaning for those who want it to have meaning.

It works for those who love all the heritage stuff and for those who know nothing about us, having a unique shape will help us to stand out from the crowd.

I get that and I wasn’t meant to insult your work if you took it that way, I apologise if it came across like that.  What I meant if we want, why don’t we embrace the gas lamp more fully as part of our design so non-villa fans do see it.  It has a great story to it.

3 minutes ago, mrchnry said:

If the FAB saw it at a meeting, has anyone from that meeting come out and said "yeah that's what we were shown"?

Don’t know! our OBE unfortunately couldn’t make it but said it was shown at that meeting.  I don’t know the other attendees personally.  They might have to sign NDA’s for all I know.

Edited by nick76
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

I get that and I wasn’t meant to insult your work if you took it that way, I apologise if it came across like that.  What I meant if we want, why don’t we embrace the gas lamp more fully as part of our design so non-villa fans do see it.  It has a great story to it.

Oh no offense taken at all, and yeah if this was the crest you could absolutely expand on the gaslamp shape, I can imagine numerous ways it could be incorporated into a brand

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mrchnry said:

If the FAB saw it at a meeting, has anyone from that meeting come out and said "yeah that's what we were shown"?

Matt Maher has confirmed that it was (Presumably told by someone from the FAB who wouldn't directly want to say it)

Edited by wishywashy
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

55 minutes ago, nick76 said:

The problem I have with the shape is you only know it’s a gas lamp shape if you know. Is there anyway the design could look more like or have more features of a gas lamp so non villa fans could get it otherwise it just looks like a weird shield imo.

I don’t think that matters. In fact I think it’s better that it’s not obvious what it is. It’s just a shape inspired by something. It doesn’t have to be spoonfed

I know the gas lamp thing is being shoehorned in a bit, but I at least like that there’s some meaning behind it

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Perfection. But we don’t deserve nice things apparently.

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

As I said yesterday, these new marketing items get copyrighted before anybody outside the project and executives/owners see them.  The fact that the FAB ie Villa fans = public, were being presented them at the FAB meeting on the evening of the 20th December and it got copyrighted on the 20th December leads me to believe they have followed practice that I am used to.

They do this so if somebody did leak it from FAB then somebody in Joe Public could’ve copyrighted it and then all Villa effort/cost has gone to waste. It’s legal protection.

The fact that Villa fans are obsessed with news even to the extent of looking for new copyrights from the club shouldn’t come as a surprise to the club but it looks like it did.  So the launch, if this is the badge, maybe after the horse has bolted to quote an old phrase.

I get why they'd want to get their protections in early but really you've just got to admit the club has made a bit of a howler by inadvertently leaking the new design. They probably didn't expect fans to go hunting for this stuff, but for whatever reason someone looked it up and found it, I guess that's not the club's fault but that's what happened so it's turned out to be a misjudgement on their side. Not that seeing the badge early is the end of the world. But realistically the chances of a member of the FAB stealing the design and trademarking it in advance for their own gain seems pretty slim to non-existent, I think there are rules on bad faith TM applications, and besides you'd never be able to register the badge without infringing on all the existing trademarks the club already owns in the first place.

Edited by david-avfc
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, mrchnry said:

I asked the same earlier and would like to know this too.

It's made it into The Mirror and probably other newspapers too. Not a great PR situation for the club really (if they care).

Aston Villa fans left appalled by new 'Microsoft Paint' badge after online leak

Aston Villa are set to change their club badge for the second time in just 18 months but a revised logo is already courting controversy amid supporters with some not happy at the change

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/aston-villa-badge-fans-emery-31803056

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Teale's 'tache said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Works in monochrome...

spacer.png

spacer.png

Looks good on a kit...

spacer.png

spacer.png

Lovely work, shame it seems we didn't have someone as competent responsible for the real one.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Teale's 'tache said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Works in monochrome...

spacer.png

spacer.png

Looks good on a kit...

spacer.png

spacer.png

Love these designs.  If I ever have some spare billions and manage to buy the club, I will hire you to design the new badge. 

Edited by ender4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lichfield Dean said:

It's made it into The Mirror and probably other newspapers too. Not a great PR situation for the club really (if they care).

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/aston-villa-badge-fans-emery-31803056

Oh dear.... Is bad press good press. I think not in this instance. 

It does appear the club misunderstood the fanaticism of our fanbase to seek and reveal whatever they try to do. 

Â