Future Club Crest & Brand Identity

fightoffyour

The inclusion of white is bizarre but… one thing that is nagging at me… when watching Heck’s video for the 76ers rebrand… he talked a lot about history/heritage but one of his key points was “OWNING A COLOUR”…

Our main colour is claret… where TF is the claret on this badge? Pale blue and yellow have never been our main colours and never what we wanted to OWN…

Again, IF this is what they have chosen, it’s so lazy and uninspired but also foolish and pathetic - pointless is the word that keeps coming to me. Why even bother at all, this barely represents a “rebrand” at all…

Surely, there must be an alternative design… I just can’t believe that this is what will be chosen. The blue and yellow is so overpowering… those are not our colours… it’s actually an inferior version of our AVFC badge which at least had claret lettering… rather than this dark border with a WHITE??? line through it. There is no need for white whatsoever…

The old badge was a simple fix (if that’s all that was desired, a quick and lazy job) - either replace the blue background with claret and a gold lion to have some contrast and allow it to stand out. Or… a claret lion on a blue background. It was as simple as that and makes this design even more shocking and disappointing - it’s so stupid.

The club name at the bottom seems like an afterthought and a bit of an insult… ASTON VILLA, if it’s on the badge, should be prominent and distinct… at the top if anywhere.

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Galway Lion said:

Have the FAB representatives confirmed that this is the badge they were shown at the last meeting? If so did none of them actually ask what the f…. were the club thinking and how much money was wasted on that abomination?

From what I have read from the FAB, they feel stitched up by the (non) consultation process to the extent that some of them have complained to the FA

9 minutes ago, Chindie said:

There's going to be something 'new' about the shirt design. Either something we've done very occasionally historically or something wholesale new. So I'm expecting stripes, checkerboard, half and half split, changed colour balance (Luke style minimised blue for example, or much more yellow)... It's going to be something 'different' that they'll want to make part of our image going forwards. Just pray it's not horrendous like everything else the fool in charge has touched.

This based on intel?

Our claret and blue combination is a non negotiable surely?

Edited by Captain_Townsend

2 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

This based on intel?

It is negotiable, and it should be changed in my opinion. I would go mainly claret with blue accents, similar to what Luke did. 

• Like 1

Just now, david-avfc said:

From what I have read from the FAB, they feel stitched up by the (non) consultation process to the extent that some of them have complained to the FA

Good.

After all the time, hassle and fuss… (so embarrassing and such a waste) the last thing fans should accept is a design or crest being forced upon them without any or much input at all… that is barely any sort of change either. 

I can’t imagine anyone being onboard with this… which defeats the whole objective and the rules that were put into place…

This crest will represent our identity for the future, it will always be visible, it will be shown everywhere (and on every piece of club merchandise including kits, shirts, tops, mugs, key rings, posters etc etc.that is purchased by supporters)  - I can’t understand why any fan would not be bothered about it, even on the smallest scale, especially when we have had better badges in our past and could just resort to going back to one of those if we just want quick fixes and lazy approaches… it does matter…

It does feel like the fans are constantly being ignored and dismissed in all/most aspect and that’s really disappointing and unacceptable..

4 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

This based on intel?

In his video announcing how wonderful things are while shooting dead everything exciting about the club off the pitch, Heck mentioned there would be some new things about our kit he was looking forward to revealing iirc. That, imo, means they're changing something about the identity/image of the kit. I imagine it'll be something like when Lerner tried to make checkerboard designs a thing.

I'm sure the club/Heck gave an agency a strict list of things that needed to the included based on fan consultations, but when did we insist that we retain a blue background and gold lion? I thought we were pretty unanimously in favour of claret on blue.

And who insisted it needed to be an evolution of the Lerner badge? Again, I thought fans were mostly in favour of a round badge or at least not basing it on the Lerner badge.

Edited by His Name Is Death

1 minute ago, His Name Is Death said:

I'm sure the club/Heck gave an agency a strict list of things that needed to the included based on fan consultations, when did we insist that we retain a blue background and gold lion? I thought we were pretty unanimously in favour of a claret on blue.

And who insisted it needed to be an evolution of the Lerner badge? Again, I thought fans were mostly in favour of a round badge or at least not basing it on the Lerner badge.

IIRC the results of the survey included an overwhelming desire to move away from the Lerner shield shape, and for the main colours to be claret and blue

So obviously they decided to more or less keep the shield shape and keep the main colours as blue and yellow

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, HKP90 said:

I've been thinking about this since it dropped, and I think Heck has been working on the basis of a flawed initial scope. 

If you look at what he did with the 76ers logo, he took the previous one, in place before his arrival:

image.png.cb848911a13b09a8b7d10500f9cba8ff.png

Whacked it in a roundel to create: 

image.png.aad114e5f922d3087bb6b161c7e3db93.png

No question it looks better, but the core design inside the roundel is almost identical. It's also similar to the one they used between 1977 and 1997, so there is a lot of history with this. 

The problem at Villa is that he inherited a badge that most disliked, and almost no-one loved. During the consultation in 2022, out of 21,500 voters, 8% (eight!) opted to keep the crest. 

He appears to have applied a similar formula to his redesign of the Villa crest, redesign, tidying, and modernising of the previous design. But to do this he's put on hold the rebrand that 77% of 21,500 people voted for, and applied his formula to the wrong badge. The one that 92% of people wanted to ditch.    

If he'd done this with the most recent one, he'd have had much, much more support, and I bet it would have been a hundred times better. 

Agreed. 

As an outsider who doesn't get our history or heritage much, perhaps he assumes the post 2007 bad is the heritage. But light yellow on a light blue backgroud looked cack in 2007 and it still looks bad now. The 2016 modifications made it look less bad, but this seems like a weird tribute to Lerner's original vision.  

5 minutes ago, Chindie said:

In his video announcing how wonderful things are while shooting dead everything exciting about the club off the pitch, Heck mentioned there would be some new things about our kit he was looking forward to revealing iirc. That, imo, means they're changing something about the identity/image of the kit. I imagine it'll be something like when Lerner tried to make checkerboard designs a thing.

Oh no.... I just suddenly had a horrible image of a claret strip with a blue sash.

1 minute ago, Captain_Townsend said:

I suppose history and heritage just means nothing to some people.

Well… it’s mostly what he banged on about in his previous job… is he a liar? Well have to see…

I’m trying to reserve judgement on Heck as it is still early days (I was excited when his s appointment was announced and after watching his presentation for the 76ers rebrand) and this design hasn’t been confirmed or announced officially… even if it has been found in our list of trademarks…

Atm, I’m purely judging this on/from a design perspective and in terms of its visual appeal and creativity - it has none. Lazy is what it is.

If this really is what will be chosen… it’s only going to make me and others more annoyed and negative… if it’s Heck’s choice then I will certainly have a more negative opinion of him…

I will find it incredibly disappointing and more than underwhelming…

And also be concerned about NSWE actually choosing and employing this guy if these are the sorts of decisions he is going to make…

But I’m trying to hold fire for now…

Let’s see how things turn out.

But the design is completely amateurish and embarrassing… I would be embarrassed by myself if I came up with and proposed that…

I haven’t seen an expert or actual graphic designer comment positively on it (or anyone for that matter) either - it doesn’t have any attributes and is inferior to the older version. I think a lot of people are tired of this “saga” too and just can’t be bothered anymore… almost like anything will do at this point as long as it’s over and done with…

So many people could and have produced so much better than this.

Wow 🤦‍♂️

25 minutes ago, Chindie said:

There's going to be something 'new' about the shirt design. Either something we've done very occasionally historically or something wholesale new. So I'm expecting stripes, checkerboard, half and half split, changed colour balance (Luke style minimised blue for example, or much more yellow)... It's going to be something 'different' that they'll want to make part of our image going forwards. Just pray it's not horrendous like everything else the fool in charge has touched.

How about a blue and yellow strip 🙄

4 minutes ago, HolteExile said:

Agreed. 

As an outsider who doesn't get our history or heritage much, perhaps he assumes the post 2007 bad is the heritage. But light yellow on a light blue backgroud looked cack in 2007 and it still looks bad now. The 2016 modifications made it look less bad, but this seems like a weird tribute to Lerner's original vision.  

Lerner and Heck

spacer.png

5 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Oh no.... I just suddenly had a horrible image of a claret strip with a blue sash.

I also thought of that.

Â