Future Club Crest & Brand Identity

fightoffyour

I do wonder how far they'll nod toward the gas lamp badge from the last consultation - that would leave them with the change Mr Heck wants but with a connection to the fan based stuff that went before. Does anyone have a picture of it?

I've said before that I actually think we can have both a round badge and a crest and use them at the same time in different places, in the same way as we can use the lion on its own in places. As long as all of the elements share a design root (the same lion, the same colours, the same typefaces) then there's scope for different things in different places. a family of "Villa" things.

The 76'ers actually have a number of different things themed around the same design styles.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, allani said:

I don't think that you need every component of the brand to appear on the badge in order for it to be part of the brand. 

Yeah, this. The Lion on its own or the appearance of "Prepared" or "1874" in some places, different types of badge based around the themes we use - a language of images that can be combined in different ways.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Question 7 is a doozy.

Choose between a badge that:

"Builds a picture of Aston Villa's heritage as a traditional football club"

or

"Represents Aston Villa as a progressive modern football club"

I reckon we could have a 200 page thread on that question on it's own!

I was annoyed there wasn't an answer for "both"

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

Happy the club have decided to go back to the shield crest. It's time to get our identity back and look onto the future. 

What makes you say that? Is it mentioned in the questions (I haven’t don’t it yet)?

10 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

It's the direction they'd taken - the round badge in use currently is the one that Nassef and Wes commissioned, their choice, their choice to involve fans, their choice to engage one of the worlds foremost brand design companies - all of that was undertaken for them by a CEO with a reputation for undue influence on this type of thing, but the decision was theirs, signed off by them, with a launch signed off by them, coordinated by them and the design company and due to take place in the time after Purslow left - Heck has changed their minds and not only changed their minds, but persuaded a couple of very successful billionaires that he knows better than they do, better than the design team and better than the supporter base - it says really good things about him that they were prepared to accept that and then bumble through this season's brand disaster in order to support him on it. 

Our owners have placed an enormous amount of trust in Mr Heck.

I think you can approve the process but have doubts on the result.  Anyway, whether the chicken or the egg came first (in terms of the appointment of Heck) I do see it as a positive sign that Heck and the owners (or the owners and Heck) pulled the plug on something that they were not entirely confident in.  Hopefully, they get it right this time and in 2 - 3 years time we're all talking about how brilliant the new kits look, how great the stadium is looking and how we look as good off the pitch as we do (most of the time!) on it.

2 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

What makes you say that? Is it mentioned in the questions (I haven’t don’t it yet)?

They have stated it’s what the club want and are asking how we feel about that. Pretty sure it will be a shield though. 

Survey feels a bit ‘here we go again’.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

And we ended up with a far better badge than the Lerner monstrosity

It probably says a lot about the Lerner badge that your statement above and the opinion that our current badge is **** - can both be 100% true at the same time.  I personally think we deserve better than it wasn't as **** as the last one. 😉

For those asking

I've had the e-mail. It includes your Fan ID so I assume anyone who has ever had a ticket has a Fan ID so will get the questionnaire shortly.

FYI - I couldn't be arsed opening the survey because what I think doesn't really matter - or at least it didn't last time!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, allani said:

It probably says a lot about the Lerner badge that your statement above and the opinion that our current badge is **** - can both be 100% true at the same time.  I personally think we deserve better than it wasn't as **** as the last one. 😉

I do agree. The current one isn't perfect. But it's a vast improvement.

It's good enough that I'm worried our new NEW one will be a step backwards.

You can improve on the current one but I think it would be far easier to make it worse

• Like 3

Fans are Nostalgic, it was always going to end up the circle badge. I voted for the 'Gas lamp' design but was happy with either, main point for me was that 'Aston Villa' needed to be back rather than just 'AVFC' The only feeling on being 'disjointed' as they said was the fact that they had different iterations of the old (last season) and this singular lion on all the commercial and social side and the new badge (which went to a fan vote) only on playing side of things. If it had all converted to new, I don't think there'd be a problem.

IMO of course 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Yeah, this. The Lion on its own or the appearance of "Prepared" or "1874" in some places, different types of badge based around the themes we use - a language of images that can be combined in different ways.

I just finished filling out the form and suggested they look at a 'modular' system, which would allow elements to be bolted onto a Crest for some applications, but stripped away from it for the the main uses (Playing Kit and Digital Logos). 

The European Champions Star could be placed above the Crest only when we compete in Europe, and 'Prepared' and/or '1874' can be attached in certain circumstances. 

But the main element should be simple, bold and unique enough to stand alone. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I also think this gives maximum flexibility and avoids your valid concerns about doing the whole thing again in 5 or 10 years.  This way I feel you can "experiment" with individual components in order to be more "of the moment" without having to rebrand everything.  It needs careful guardianship for sure - otherwise you just end up with a mish-mash of unconnected images that bear no relation to each other.  But I think it allows the marketing / brand team to continue having fun and bringing out new ideas that still respect the core language.  Tradition and progression.  Perfect.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I do agree. The current one isn't perfect. But it's a vast improvement.

It's good enough that I'm worried our new NEW one will be a step backwards.

You can improve on the current one but I think it would be far easier to make it worse

I am 85% confident that the new badge / brand will be a big improvement on both the current badge and the Lerner badge.  That doesn't mean that I am 85% confident that I will love it.  But I do think that I'll see it, understand it and appreciate how it will be used and how it will stand out in different situations.  I don't get that with the current badge.  The Lerner badge had elements of it but was really badly executed.  I think we'll get pretty close this time but that it might take a couple of tweaks / minor iterations to perfect it.

2 minutes ago, allani said:

I am 85% confident that the new badge / brand will be a big improvement on both the current badge and the Lerner badge.

As long as we end up with this then I'm more than happy

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

The first thing I like about the survey is this:

"The Club is actively considering a return to the shield crest shape"

Not necessarily out of any preference for crests (although I like a crest) but because it's actually honest - it says "we have a preference, we want to do something and we're checking with you" - it's not a long lie - it doesn't say that my voice counts as much as theirs or that they'll make the badge fans want; it says that they as a senior team have an aim and a plan they want to carry out and that they'll listen but if they believe in their way, they'll do it anyway.

I actually much prefer that. 

Well ok but that shows there already have a fixed opinion before the consultation. This suggests that this is a pointless tick box requirement to get to the design they actually wanted in the first place, and not the 70/80s nostalgia of the soon-to-be-dead badge. Probably because the average age of response was 40 years plus.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Does this cover both the progressive club (when we take the lion out and use it on its own) and the heritage angles? I feel like anything that doesn't look like this is going to be a disappointment. 

I really like the font too.

Shield/gaslamp hybrid,  just enough of a nod that those that know, know and those that don't, don't wonder what the f it is. 

Proper gold lion (not yellow).

It's just beautiful. 

I don't recall Villa using that type of gold color anywhere. Yellow works better IMO. I don't like the font either. Look dated. The shape is decent though. I'm ambivalent about using 1884. But I'd love Aston Villa spelled out.

36 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I do wonder how far they'll nod toward the gas lamp badge from the last consultation - that would leave them with the change Mr Heck wants but with a connection to the fan based stuff that went before. Does anyone have a picture of it?

I've said before that I actually think we can have both a round badge and a crest and use them at the same time in different places, in the same way as we can use the lion on its own in places. As long as all of the elements share a design root (the same lion, the same colours, the same typefaces) then there's scope for different things in different places. a family of "Villa" things.

The 76'ers actually have a number of different things themed around the same design styles.

This one?

Aston Villa fans vote in new club crest for 23/24 football season | ITV  News Central

• Thanks 1

Â