Future Club Crest & Brand Identity

fightoffyour

18 minutes ago, est1874 said:

At this point, yeah, a standalone lion. Not the new one though, it looks drunk.

I like the previous one you've used there, though I do think it's a bit unnecessarily busy too. Slightly streamlined version of that, embossed or stitched, would be nice.

I think that’s where we’re headed and what is the current “trend”. Yeah, the previous lion looks so much better and classier.

We already use it in a lot of the signage. E.g. the glass doors around Bodymoor Heath have the standalone lion on them.

Sticking with that lion might save us a few quid 😆 and less hassle when it comes to a whole rebrand too.

21 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Out of all the badge designs we’ve had, which lion is the best lion? 

For me, it’s the previous one. But, as ever, many don’t and will not agree.

I think it’s iconic and classy, well designed and prominent.

As i mentioned, we already use it and I don’t see the need to change or remove it.

I didn’t even have a problem with the shield, the biggest issue was that a yellow lion on a blue background was too washed out. I posted an image of gold lion on claret background a few days ago, so much better. Most people want Aston Villa rather than AVFC… that could be done with the same lion…

spacer.png

When you see that lion, you automatically know - that’s Aston Villa.

I like it even more now, after the new poor effort.

The worst one is easily the declawed, first, Lerner one. Horrendous.

25 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Not totally related but friend going to UK and thinking of getting them to bring back last season Castore top. I think I prefer it to this season shirt look, sponsor and all. Would like new badge but overall prefer last seasons. Thoughts?

Last seasons shirt is probably the best since we returned to PL and will cost a lot less, might be some sales/discounts/vouchers around.

This seasons shirt is probably the worst, maybe not in “build quality” but design…

Thats just the way I see it though, best to get a good look at it up close or in real photos of people wearing and handling it. Vids online too.

The only thing that looks decent, so far, this season is the new training top with the white badge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, mikeyjavfc said:

Flipping the lion was change for the sake of change so the owners and / or CEO could feel like they had a proper distinguishing change from the previous badges, that defines their new era. I’m sure it was also pushed by the designer as they too will wanted to put their name to something with significant design changes and not just a rehash of the 1980s badge. I understand it, but the flip side is that it shat on 150 years of history and nostalgia for all villa fans. I hope Heck does a flip reverse!

Yeah, it was a terrible and completely unnecessary decision.

It’s such a bland and basic design… they could have done so much better. Bare minimum effort.

Clearly this badge was the inspiration so why make that change and make it inferior?

spacer.png

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

For me, it’s the previous one. But, as ever, many don’t and will not agree.

I think it’s iconic and classy, well designed and prominent.

As i mentioned, we already use it and I don’t see the need to change or remove it.

I didn’t even have a problem with the shield, the biggest issue was that a yellow lion on a blue background was too washed out. I posted an image of gold lion on claret background a few days ago, so much better. Most people want Aston Villa rather than AVFC… that could be done with the same lion…

spacer.png

When you see that lion, you automatically know - that’s Aston Villa.

I like it even more now, after the new poor effort.

The worst one is easily the declawed, first, Lerner one. Horrendous.

I have mixed minds about this lion.

when it’s got it’s full detail, it’s lovely and up there as one of the best.

aston_villa_2020_2021_home_kit_e.jpg

113d0857-a4c4-444c-9d83-266a4a9fb7f9.jpg

however the flat version, lacks enough detail and looks a bit blobby when scaled down.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

however the flat version, lacks enough detail and looks a bit blobby when scaled down.

Agreed.

The new lion is better in my view. Full detail version from the gaslight shield ideally.

It just needs rotating forwards so it doesn't look like it's being taken out by the star, and flipping of course. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Don’t think we have or have had a better version. What do you think?

As for the flat version, that’s the norm now and everything seems to be trending to more simplistic and streamlined. Due to the digital side of things, easily reproduced etc.

You could even call or look at it as the Villa logo… I think it’s instantly recognisable and completely associated with the club. Which is what you want really…

I have no problems with it. Too much tinkering can make things worse rather than improve them…

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

Don’t think we have or have had a better version. What do you think?

As for the flat version, that’s the norm now and everything seems to be trending to more simplistic and streamlined. Due to the digital side of things, easily reproduced etc.

You could even call or look at it as the Villa logo… I think it’s instantly recognisable and completely associated with the club. Which is what you want really…

I have no problems with it. Too much tinkering can make things worse rather than improve them…

It’s not just a trend, in most cases it’s a necessity to have a scalable logo. Particularly to be viewed on small spaces like phone screens or viewed at distance. More detailed a logo is, more messy it looks small, but the common solution is to have a flat silhouette version, but that has issues too, the smaller it gets, the more basic of shape it becomes. So, this lion is far too simple in silhouette… and becomes a rampant blob, when scaled down. could be a lion, could be a bear, or griffin. A blob in the way of the 80s badge lion looks, where it’s hard to tell it’s a lion 😂

the new one has a scalable silhouette, because it retains enough detail to say lion at every size. It’s a well thought out lion, in the sense of practicality.

FotoJet__41_.jpg

However it’s just using cut outs to creat the detail, and the current/old badge could have that tweak. 

As my favourite lion, the current/old one probably is my favourite, but there’s a lot of familiarity in that decision.

but as a advertiser/graphic designer by trade, I’d love to play with some of the old lions and see what could look good with contemporary design ethos attached. In particular, this one.

Aston-Villa-Logo-1880.png
used real early in the clubs history and the flipped (correct) version used in the 60s/70s

26 minutes ago, Si. said:

Have I missed something? Is our new badge going to change again? 

Simple answer is 'maybe'. The club are very unclear about what's going on. 

The more i see the new badge the more i think that the change of direction for the Lion is the wrong choice.

At first i thought that i didn't care....

But i do, its just not us.

That badge is our identity, i hope they change it back once they get their act together.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, MarkLillis said:

The more i see the new badge the more i think that the change of direction for the Lion is the wrong choice.

At first i thought that i didn't care....

But i do, its just not us.

That badge is our identity, i hope they change it back once they get their act together.

Same here.  I actually think I preferred it to start with, but definitely not now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

If the club is to really change the identity, I would go with more claret and less blue. 

The Luke shirt was a good example of how blue colour was just an addition and make us stand out from west ham Burnley etc. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I like the new badge.  I just think it needs more refinement.  Its currently a bit too simplistic if that makes sense.  I don't have the answer for improvement...  new star location, white star, gold lion, new 1874 location, etc, etc. 

If I had a guess- I'd like to see a badge example with 18 and 74 split at either side of the circle (9pm and 3pm).  That would open up the bottom of the badge for something else.  Maybe move the star to the bottom (where 1874 was)- make it white.  See how that looked.  Try the lion gold again, see how it looked, etc. 

I'd be happy with the new badge being 'updated' in a future season- then using that template to break down like Heck did with the 76er logo.  Agree with many posters about a stand alone Lion as another logo.  Definitely think this is the direction we are ultimately going.  AVFC will have multiple symbols and logos.  I'm hopeful an updated round badge will be our primary- the current round badge just needs a little work imo.

UTV

Edited by ejs1111

1 hour ago, Mic09 said:

If the club is to really change the identity, I would go with more claret and less blue. 

The Luke shirt was a good example of how blue colour was just an addition and make us stand out from west ham Burnley etc. 

The Luke shirt was as close to perfection as we’ve seen, perfect shades of claret. Lovely, crisp, smart design. No unnecessary faff and stupid patterns.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mic09 said:

Agreed!

• Like 1

I‘m another that prefers less blue in our kits/branding. if we went mostly claret with blue trims and details I wouldn’t mind.. 

And the Luke kit had a few things going for it, that made it the best for me. It being an “outsider” kit manufacturer, the right colour mix, traditional patterns with just a hint of contemporary design. It just felt like the most Aston Villa kit we had in a long time. It was distinctly us. It was like someone described Villa Park to a kit designer and they replied, “say no more”. 

• Like 2

Â