Weird and Possibly Dangerous Childhood Toys

Marka Ragnos

Did you play with any strange and possibly hazardous toys? Perhaps you re-purposed something in a way it wasn't meant, and made it dangerous. Maybe you're a parent and you've stepped on a Lego piece and nearly killed yourself. My sisters had the infamous Easy Bake Oven. I do seem to remember some howls from minor burns. I owned Clackers/Klackers around 1977 or so. Excellent things. I don't remember anyone every hurt by them. Well, it's coming back to me. Kids would hit each other with them , but that was considered a no-turning-back aggressive move that would lead to fights.  I feel like I saw those things in change jars and utility drawers for decades later. Don't know what I ever did to lose them. They seemed indestructible.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

31 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Did you play with any strange and possibly hazardous toys? Perhaps you re-purposed something in a way it wasn't meant, and made it dangerous. Maybe you're a parent and you've stepped on a Lego piece and nearly killed yourself. My sisters had the infamous Easy Bake Oven. I do seem to remember some howls from minor burns. I owned Clackers/Klackers around 1977 or so. Excellent things. I don't remember anyone every hurt by them. Well, it's coming back to me. Kids would hit each other with them , but that was considered a no-turning-back aggressive move that would lead to fights.  I feel like I saw those things in change jars and utility drawers for decades later. Don't know what I ever did to lose them. They seemed indestructible.

I had a set of those.   Nice opening image for the video, by the way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Not inherently dangerous in and of themselves, but I have very vivid memories of getting these for a birthday in the late 80's, my one-month-older cousin came round to play and he managed to fashion some form of sturdy plastic whip he then used to thrash me with.  Halcyon days.

Picture 1 of 10

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, GarethRDR said:

Not inherently dangerous in and of themselves, but I have very vivid memories of getting these for a birthday in the late 80's, my one-month-older cousin came round to play and he managed to fashion some form of sturdy plastic whip he then used to thrash me with.  Halcyon days.

Picture 1 of 10

Looks like a multi-coloured pile of trips to A&E. 

2 hours ago, GarethRDR said:

That cannot be real, right? That beggars belief.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, il_serpente said:

I had a set of those.   Nice opening image for the video, by the way.

Why did she play with her clackers wearing her knickers????

The 1970's, I remember it well......😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Why the **** is there a grown women stood in her underwear on Blue Peter? 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, tinker said:

Swing ball, lull them in with some gentle swings then bang, Full power.

Was much better before they added the plastic sleeve to stop the rope from wrapping round your neck.  Health and safety gone mad.

• Haha 1

Not a toy but candy cigarettes are an insane thing to the modern mind.  Making sweets to actively encourage children to pretend they're smoking.

I mean, they used to give children soldiers made out of lead to play with.  An actual highly poisonous metal.  Good job children are not known for putting things in their mouths.  it's a miracle any boys made it to manhood in those days!

• Like 1

Â