Weird and Possibly Dangerous Childhood Toys

Marka Ragnos

13 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

But there was one bit that they still haven't touched to this day.  Apparently when the infectious disease hospital closed the NHS decided to bury medical waste there. This included radioactive waste from an xray machine destroyed by fire. Over time they lost the records showing exactly what was buried where. 

Despite all of this, I don't have a single superpower

You may be immortal. 

• Haha 3

On 28/06/2023 at 22:58, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I grew up in Wolverhampton in the 70s and 80s.  The area lost a lot of heavy industry. There was an area near us that was wasteland with a large number of derelict factories and buildings.  It was like a deadly adventure playground.  We'd always be there riding bikes down asbestos hills or fighting the Germans around the factories. 

In the 00s the area was redeveloped.  It was quite costly to do because of the large amount of asbestos and other toxic materials in the area.   

But there was one bit that they still haven't touched to this day.  Apparently when the infectious disease hospital closed the NHS decided to bury medical waste there. This included radioactive waste from an xray machine destroyed by fire. Over time they lost the records showing exactly what was buried where. 

Despite all of this, I don't have a single superpower. 

There’s nothing radioactive about x-ray machines.   They produce radiation when desired by using extremely high voltage differences to induce electrons flowing through a heated filament to smash against a target at high velocity and convert their energy into x-rays.

/pedant

• Like 1

On 28/06/2023 at 23:54, Marka Ragnos said:

Around the same time as Klackers, every boy on earth that I knew used to make these. We'd make the rods in wood shop class. We all did. I think the UK was probably wise enough to prevent this fad?

spacer.png

Clackers? They are bloody 'Chuks

• Like 1

On 28/06/2023 at 23:54, Marka Ragnos said:

Around the same time as Klackers, every boy on earth that I knew used to make these. We'd make the rods in wood shop class. We all did. I think the UK was probably wise enough to prevent this fad?

spacer.png

Bloody hell, you had better skills than us. Anything we made in woodwork always seemed to be basically two wonky lumps of wood, randomly glued or nailed together. And, being a grammar school, we didn't do any metalwork, that was for the secondary mod oiks who were destined for factories. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Bloody hell, you had better skills than us. Anything we made in woodwork always seemed to be basically two wonky lumps of wood, randomly glued or nailed together. And, being a grammar school, we didn't do any metalwork, that was for the secondary mod oiks who were destined for factories. 

I doubt it! Half the kids in my shop class were stoned. They were very popular classes where I grew up in the 1970s, esp. with the heads. I remember kids making all manner of marijuana-smoking devices in off-hours. Things were just more permissive in those days, I guess. We had metal work, but only in sheet metal, of course, and plastics, too. All that stuff seemed to be pretty crude but indestructible, too -- ash trays, metal boxes, etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I doubt it! Half the kids in my shop class were stoned. They were very popular classes where I grew up in the 1970s, esp. with the heads. I remember kids making all manner of marijuana-smoking devices in off-hours. Things were just more permissive in those days, I guess. We had metal work, but only in sheet metal, of course, and plastics, too. All that stuff seemed to be pretty crude but indestructible, too -- ash trays, metal boxes, etc.

The thing with our woodwork classes was that we were supposed to make useful things for the home. The only ones I can remember taking home were (1) a 'towel rail' (two sticks hinged on a flat bit of wood, and (2) a stand for an iron - two bits of wood crossed over in a sort of lap joint (wobbly, wouldn't stand level), with a flat piece of asbestos on top (yes, cut it out with a saw). This was all under instruction, we weren't allowed to use our own ideas. We were only 11 or 12 years old at the time - I dropped the subject after that - and knew nothing about marijuana smoking. 

tbf, those few kids who were actually good at it, and went on to do the  O-Level exam, did make some pretty good stuff, including a rather impressive electric guitar. But it was something of a niche subject, only for those kids who were, let's say, 'not academically inclined'. 

Edited by mjmooney

On 29/06/2023 at 06:58, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I grew up in Wolverhampton in the 70s and 80s.  The area lost a lot of heavy industry. There was an area near us that was wasteland with a large number of derelict factories and buildings.  It was like a deadly adventure playground.  We'd always be there riding bikes down asbestos hills or fighting the Germans around the factories. 

In the 00s the area was redeveloped.  It was quite costly to do because of the large amount of asbestos and other toxic materials in the area.   

Despite all of this, I don't have a single superpower. 

You got out of Wolverhampton 

• Haha 2

Â