Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

2 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I probably won't in truth, I will be too busy reflecting and enjoying our magnificent season of football...

and I'll be relieved and will have to find something else to be the focal point of my stress and worry... maybe England to win the Euros....

Just now, ben1505 said:

and I'll be relieved and will have to find something else to be the focal point of my stress and worry... maybe England to win the Euros....

No need to stress or worry about that, England won't win anything with that amateur manager.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stephen_Evans said:

All of that is true.  But we can’t progress as a club WITHOUT qualifying for the Champions League, even if doing so guarantees nothing.

I disagree, I don't think one season of CL does anything for us, but I respect your view.

• Like 1

Pretty much all of the media outlets have dismissed Spurs as a possibility for top 4... They've got two of the easiest teams on paper to play so there's effectively only 1 point in it... I'm amazed that they've discounted Spurs.

5 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I’d say it’s done West Ham plenty of good.  Their fans will have absolutely loved the ECL win.

I suppose the question is; what is the aim of football?

If it’s to be successful (to win things) then a trophy would be the indicative factor.

If it’s to be financially comfortable, then qualifying for the CL would be better.

You have to treat both events as a one-off.  You can’t assume year on year success - in either measure - in this league.

It's not just finances it's keeping your better players. We have been a selling club for too long. Being in the champions league is the only way to do thst 

1 minute ago, ben1505 said:

Pretty much all of the media outlets have dismissed Spurs as a possibility for top 4... They've got two of the easiest teams on paper to play so there's effectively only 1 point in it... I'm amazed that they've discounted Spurs.

"Spursy" didn't invent itself 😉

46 minutes ago, bose said:

Burnley are very capable of getting 3 points against spurs in their current form.

That's the hope!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

It's not just finances it's keeping your better players. We have been a selling club for too long. Being in the champions league is the only way to do thst 

You still have to assume it’s a one off qualification. Our players would still move (IMO) to “bigger” clubs - one season of CL football doesn’t change that.

But why do you need to keep your better players in any case? Surely to try and win things, right?

We haven't lost more than 2 games in a row all season. 

I'm fairly sure we haven't gone 3 games without a win as well.

So if we manage to do either of those now then it would be a pretty big diversion from our 36 game norm.

Spurs, on the other hand, are on a 4 game losing streak and rarely win 3 in a row.

Let's see how the next round goes before we start the panic. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MrBlack said:

We haven't lost more than 2 games in a row all season. 

I'm fairly sure we haven't gone 3 games without a win as well.

So if we manage to do either of those now then it would be a pretty big diversion from our 36 game norm.

Spurs, on the other hand, are on a 4 game losing streak and rarely win 3 in a row.

Let's see how the next round goes before we start the panic. 

Far too sensible, stop it!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I don't need luck, I've read such comments in the last 24 hrs...

show me one. just one comment in the last 24 hours where, taking everything into account, someone doesn't think we'll get top 4

i've seen things like "if we need to win on the last day" etc etc but that's just discussing permutations. no one is saying as of today they don't think we'll do it.

1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

show me one. just one comment in the last 24 hours where, taking everything into account, someone doesn't think we'll get top 4

i've seen things like "if we need to win on the last day" etc etc but that's just discussing permutations. no one is saying as of today they don't think we'll do it.

No mate you go and read the last 24hrs and you'll find at least one, no burden of proof on me ..

1 minute ago, Villan_of_oz said:

No mate you go and read the last 24hrs and you'll find at least one, no burden of proof on me ..

just done it. couldn't find any.

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

just done it. couldn't find any.

Then you can't read very well, I quoted their comment.

Just "did it" by the way.... You seem very distressed, relax it's an internet forum.

Edited by Villan_of_oz

3 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Then you can't read very well, I quoted their comment.

Just "did it" by the way.... You seem very distressed, relax it's an internet forum.

yeah the holier than thou comment wound me up about how you're going to troll the forum when we get 4th because a few people dared to discuss permutations around the (slim) possibility that we don't get over the line, what can i say

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

yeah the holier than thou comment wound me up about how you're going to troll the forum when we get 4th because a few people dared to discuss permutations around the (slim) possibility that we don't get over the line, what can i say

Well maybe you should turn off your computer if you are that easily wound up, the person who should have taken offence if anyone was, even had a joke with me in the last hour.

It's only your interpretation that my comment was holier than thou...

Maybe have a cup of tea or something 😂

Edited by Villan_of_oz

12 minutes ago, ben1505 said:

Agree with this.  Spurs have been very poor recently but are odds on to beat Burnley and will be for Sheffield Untied too. 

We look worn out, Liverpool are odds on to beat us, and we have a poor record against them at VP.  Palace are 4th in the current form table with all their best players fit again.  It's quite possible we struggle to get another point. 

So if it goes to form it comes down to the Spurs v City game and Spurs have a good record against them at home.  

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, GlobalVillan said:

It does though. It will have a direct impact on oir transfer window. Both incoming and outgoing. 

It will also hugely raise our profile and improve our FFP position.

Quite significant developments really.

(Also from purely a fans perspective  it means no more Sunday/Thursday games.)

Being in the CL is vital for us to close the finaincial gulf between us and the big 6. And you can't qualify for it multiple times until you have qualified for it once.

In your opinion.... Actually you make a couple of valid points.... I'll be ecstatic if we finish 4th, but I would love to win a trophy...

Hopefully we do both.

Edited by Villan_of_oz

What makes fans nervous is the prospect of it going to the final day.  It would mean Spurs got a result against Man City and will be motivated to destroy Sheffield United. It will also mean we lost to Liverpool and would be on our worst run this season.  

Let’s hope this is done and dusted by next Tuesday.