Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

We still won’t lose 2 in a row although Brentford did feel like a defeat. 

We’ll probably lose against Arsenal but hopefully beat Bournemouth.

Oh yeah 😂😂

I’VE BECOME EXACTLY WHAT I HATE!

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

the question there should be ready for what?

yes we aren't going to win it, we might not even get out of the league but this idea that we're going to get battered every game and not be competitive is utter bollocks, we will have 2 games vs teams in pot 4 which as it stands will be the likes of brest, union SG, bologna, maybe we then end up playing someone like celtic or feyenoord or salzburg - fans thinking we cant beat these teams are either mad or miserable bastards

also you cant build a "CL ready" squad while sat 10th to 6th, that's gone

Our manager got Villareal to the CL semi finals too.  No reason why we couldn't go on a run as well.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Oh yeah 😂😂

I’VE BECOME EXACTLY WHAT I HATE!

The stat is that we’ve not gone 3 games without winning a game. That is likely to end this weekend. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, ben1505 said:

Where did you have them gaining points from any of Newcastle, Chelsea, Arsenal, Man City or Liverpool?

They took 8 points from that lot in the first half of the season so I think people on here are going to be very disappointed if they think all those five are going to beat Spurs comfortably (although it would be great for us as means they'd only finish on 66 points most likely.

I think they'll go and beat Newcastle on Saturday (probably put a fiver on as imagine they'll still be 2-1) so if that happens that starts to put us under a bit of pressure as we need to be ahead of them going into the last 2-3 matches not behind them and hoping they slip up v Burnley.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

They took 8 points from that lot in the first half of the season so I think people on here are going to be very disappointed if they think all those five are going to beat Spurs comfortably (although it would be great for us as means they'd only finish on 66 points most likely.

I think they'll go and beat Newcastle on Saturday (probably put a fiver on as imagine they'll still be 2-1) so if that happens that starts to put us under a bit of pressure as we need to be ahead of them going into the last 2-3 matches not behind them and hoping they slip up v Burnley.

We beat Man City, Spurs, Arsenal in the first half of the season so it doesn’t matter much at this stage. They look open at the back so with them it can be any result. Very hard to call. They could win most of their games or lost most of them. 

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

And?

People are acting like we're going to lose our last 6 games

We haven't lost more than 2 in a row all season. That might end this week given we've got Arsenal and they're flying, but we're not just going to lose all of our games.

As soon as we have a bad result or two people act like we're collapsing into nothingness.

We're not. 

We've dropped in form, which is understandable, and we're probably going to somewhat limp over the line. But the dramatic bed wetting from certain posters as soon as we drop points acting like we're suddenly going to lose every game 5-0 is embarrassing.

There's clearly posters in here relishing the prospect of getting 6th so they can say they told us so. it's pathetic

People genuinely need to have a look at Newcastle's results all last season from August-May. We've actually pretty much replicated what they've done for most of the season. This time last year they came to VP and we could've beaten them 10-0, they were that bad on the day (and we were that good) but they got together, beat Spurs 6-1 in their next one and got over the line with a 0-0 at home to relegated Leicester.

Think they finished on 71 points so I don't see us being far away from that at all and would then put it back to Spurs to win two of their tougher games which we really need to challenge them to do.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Different circumstances.  Start of the season Spurs with new manager flying high with Angeball, fast forward to now, three of those teams in a title race and one a derby.  

After the same amount of games last season we were closer to fourth, than the likes to Manchester United, Chelsea, and Newcastle, are to fifth now, we were also in much better form than those teams are now

We’ve been a lot more open since losing Kamara right ?  We have no other player that can do what he does to the level he does it.  Probably would be close to finishing 4th already by now had he not got injured.

I guess it is what it is.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, omariqy said:

We beat Man City, Spurs, Arsenal in the first half of the season so it doesn’t matter much at this stage. They look open at the back so with them it can be any result. Very hard to call. They could win most of their games or lost most of them. 

Spurs will beat Burnley and Sheffield United for sure though. O.k it's Spurs blah blah but both those two will be long relegated by the time they play them so it's a brilliant end of season for them, couldn't have handpicked two better games.

So at worst they get 66 points and will likely beat both by a 2-3 goals at least so will be very hard now for us to overtake them on GD which is where the 4-0 v them really really hurts (thanks McGinn).

So as a very best case we need a minimum of 67 points.

They key is the back to back homes v Bournemouth and Chelsea. 6 points and we're still in a very strong position as Spurs won't be playing much in the league in that period, 4 points and possible not probable, 1 point and errr What are Man. United doing again....

There's six days between Bournemouth and Chelsea so we have a free week to prepare for it so no excuses at all to play like we did v them in the FA cup where we thought the kick off time was 9pm seemingly.

3 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Different circumstances.  Start of the season Spurs with new manager flying high with Angeball, fast forward to now, three of those teams in a title race and one a derby.  

They got the draw at Man. City without all of Maddison, the CBs and a few others. That was in December and a week after we'd gone down there and won and in Spurs poorest part of the season as they lost four other games they played around that time.

Their style unsettles Man. City most times they play them home or away so while you'd expect Man. City to win to keep up the title challenge I don't think it's a guarantee at all.

Edited by VillaChris

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

A logic people should apply to Aston Villa as well

Agree, with the caveat that I do think we'll lose the two to Arsenal and Liverpool. We can certainly get points from all the others though. 

13 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Spurs will beat Burnley and Sheffield United for sure though. O.k it's Spurs blah blah but both those two will be long relegated by the time they play them so it's a brilliant end of season for them, couldn't have handpicked two better games.

So at worst they get 66 points and will likely beat both by a 2-3 goals at least so will be very hard now for us to overtake them on GD which is where the 4-0 v them really really hurts (thanks McGinn).

So as a very best case we need a minimum of 67 points.

They key is the back to back homes v Bournemouth and Chelsea. 6 points and we're still in a very strong position as Spurs won't be playing much in the league in that period, 4 points and possible not probable, 1 point and errr What are Man. United doing again....

There's six days between Bournemouth and Chelsea so we have a free week to prepare for it so no excuses at all to play like we did v them in the FA cup where we thought the kick off time was 9pm seemingly.

You would have said the same for us at the time. Sheffield United ended our home winning streak, and we were moments away from not beating Burnley too. 

Anyways I’ve learnt quite quickly that it is pointless trying to guess what happens that far ahead. My spreadsheet is all over the shop at the moment. 

I feel like Brentford at home is a game we just had to win to get 4th

But 5th would still be an amazing achievement

Just now, Pinebro said:

I feel like Brentford at home is a game we just had to win to get 4th

But 5th would still be an amazing achievement

4th or 5th is totally irrelevant if the coefficient points work out, couldn't care less either way.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

You would have said the same for us at the time. Sheffield United ended our home winning streak, and we were moments away from not beating Burnley too. 

People will be incredibly disappointed if they're relying on us getting 4th by Spurs not winning either games so don't do it to yourselves. 

Based on the weekend we're far more likely to drop points at home to Bournemouth than Spurs are of messing up those two.

The key is Newcastle away. Spurs lose that and suddenly things don't look too bad for us again.

1 minute ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

4th or 5th is totally irrelevant if the coefficient points work out, couldn't care less either way.

It's a couple of million more the higher you finish in the prem isn't it?

Actually interested where we budgeted to finish this season, 6th or 7th I'd guess.

Apparently Everton keep on budgeting to finish 10th which isn't great for their FFP returns.😂

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

It's a couple of million more the higher you finish in the prem isn't it?

Actually interested where we budgeted to finish this season, 6th or 7th I'd guess.

Apparently Everton keep on budgeting to finish 10th which isn't great for their FFP returns.😂

That's true, but ultimately not significant either way.