Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

So beat Brentford, Bournemouth, Brighton and Palace and we're on 71 points. Should be enough.

Also fancy us at home against Chelsea

Just now, avfc1982am said:

Don't get carried away yet munchkins.....

image.thumb.jpeg.d1fb1ee4237751bd620777028862af7a.jpeg

This is heavily skewed by the addition of United.

They will be nowhere near the top 5 come the end of the season and pretty much only serve to drag Villa down in this "top 6 mini-league". If you were to only look at the top 5 teams competing for Champions League football this season, we're joint top, I believe.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JPAngel said:

They will be nowhere near the top 5 come the end of the season and pretty much only serve to drag Villa down in this "top 6 mini-league". If you were to only look at the top 5 teams competing for Champions League football this season, we're joint top, I believe.

It is skewed because of Utd, however, Spurs have still got City and Arsenal at home though which imo they are more than capable of turning over or picking up points. 

I've already said I think 12 points will be enough to see us over the line and I think 5th place will be enough too. England are also top of the coefficient league 

image.png.15225dec73efc234b9a44c79d77193f5.png

11 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

It is skewed because of Utd, however, Spurs have still got City and Arsenal at home though which imo they are more than capable of turning over or picking up points. 

I've already said I think 12 points will be enough to see us over the line and I think 5th place will be enough too. England are also top of the coefficient league 

That’s the wrong co-efficient league

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

Our threads are full of mention of Spurs.  I read four pages of that thread and we weren’t mentioned once.  Small sample I know but the narcissist in me wanted them to not care because they felt we would get it 😂

Doesn’t matter too much what their fans want, it’s the players and manager that decide their motivations. Much as it would be great to think the team have given up on 4th, that won’t be the case at all. Spurs looked dejected coming off the pitch at West Ham not because they weren’t bothered. Anyway I still think we will make 4th, but it will be close and we have to expect that we’ll spend some time in 5th along the way and not wet ourselves with worry. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Our threads are full of mention of Spurs.  I read four pages of that thread and we weren’t mentioned once.  Small sample I know but the narcissist in me wanted them to not care because they felt we would get it 😂

We're mentioned on the first page. I hope that helps 😂

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, JPAngel said:

One quick update on me on the ol' PPG tracker:

image.thumb.png.0d896aa4ea47609420ba045a5ba2b2c9.png

First things first, Man Utd are going to be absolutely nowhere near Spurs or Villa. No metric on earth says they're going to go on some unbelievable run so this is the last time they'll be included on this chart.

It truly feels like a coin toss between us and Spurs for 4th, however. Our Avg PPG is 1.97, Spurs' is 1.90. This would indicate that we're most likely to finish above them, roughly two points clear but, if football was that easy to predict, it wouldn't be all that fun, would it?

One interesting data point is that, if last season's corresponding fixtures were to bear out again, we'd each be level on 67 points after game week 37 going into a final day shootout for 4th place. Yikes.

EDIT: I should also point out that three of the fixtures in our "corresponding fixtures" from last season were managed by Gerrard - all of which were defeats against Arsenal, Chelsea and Palace.

I have a full on boner

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, JPAngel said:

One quick update on me on the ol' PPG tracker:

image.thumb.png.0d896aa4ea47609420ba045a5ba2b2c9.png

First things first, Man Utd are going to be absolutely nowhere near Spurs or Villa. No metric on earth says they're going to go on some unbelievable run so this is the last time they'll be included on this chart.

THANK YOU!

It's driving me crazy that people are still mentioning them. They're irrelevant

• Like 1

Spurs fans have given up! Full on Spursy. They have admitted defeat in their heads, they have no passion and have surrendered to being in the Europa League because "Its easier, we have more chance of winning it"
Big club my ass. 

36 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Stupid question but I'll ask it: How will we know if the Premier League haas bee given that additional CL place? I don't understand the coefficient system, I just want to know if 5th will get a CL place!

48 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

They thought we would just hand it over to them.

To be fair to the person that started that thread, I think they make some good points about the Europa League being a more winnable competition. I want CL because of what it would mean for the club, for financial and status reasons, what it would mean to the players and coaches. However, there is a part of me that thinks Europa League might be a more enjoyable experience, and a more natural step up.

However, I also agree with Emi’s comments about achieving CL qualification would be like a title for us in that nobody expects us to get it so of course I want that. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

Stupid question but I'll ask it: How will we know if the Premier League haas bee given that additional CL place? I don't understand the coefficient system, I just want to know if 5th will get a CL place!

Nobody knows yet. Apparently there is a good chance but the next round of European fixtures should give a better idea. Basically you need to root for all the English teams in the next few weeks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

THANK YOU!

It's driving me crazy that people are still mentioning them. They're irrelevant

Disagree, if they win their game in hand, they'll be "only" 8 points behind us with 8 games to go. With us being in questionable form and having a brutal fixture list and United historically having the ability to go on runs, even when they are at their worst, I think we'd be naive to call them irrelevant just yet - Although it should be unlikely that they catch us and this season would be a complete bottlejob if they do.  2-3 more wins this season and then I'll start calling Utd irrelevant

Edited by Chicken Field
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

51 minutes ago, JPAngel said:

Agreed but the main point is Spurs have actually done well against most teams.