Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Chelsea have nothing to do with us until we play them in early April. We'll be 19 points clear of them if we win today.

Their sole focus will be on the FA cup now as that would get them Europa qualification (even if they lose the final I think).

The top 3 will win the majority of games they have left so I just think it's near impossible to keep up with that.

Spurs and to a lesser degree Man. United are the only results we need to be concerned about in the run in.

2 of my step sons support Chelsea, so for me seeing them lose gives me a warm feeling inside as I've had years of piss taking from them.

Liverpool play city and also have spurs man u villa Brighton and West ham who are all in top half.

Spurs have villa Liverpool man city arsenal Newcastle West ham 

Man ure have Brighton arsenal Newcastle man city Liverpool Chelsea 

Man city have man poo Liverpool Newcastle arsenal Brighton spurs West ham.

Arsenal have man city Brighton villa spurs man utd 

They are going to be taking points off each other or sharing a point.

If we can just keep winning we should get top 4 or better.

You cannot describe in words how huge the Spurs game will be.

Not gonna say it's must win but it absolutely a must not lose game.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

image.png.5bc2b74bd0304d69f839d616dd3722a9.png

I'm still thinking 75 points is the target.   Six wins and two draws from our remaining fixtures.  

image.png.706b04449fc1b88f8bf101b832f1b611.png

Spurs next weekend is huge.  I think we can afford a draw, they absolutely need to win. 

I think 70+ will be enough for top 5.

If top 5 is CL i don't care if we finish there instead of 4th.

But of course i'd like us to get top 4 instead.

2 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

You cannot describe in words how huge the Spurs game will be.

Not gonna say it's must win but it absolutely a must not lose game.

It's nowhere near a must win - a draw would be absolutely fine. It's almost as clear a case as you will see of "must not lose".

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

2 of my step sons support Chelsea, so for me seeing them lose gives me a warm feeling inside as I've had years of piss taking from them.

Liverpool play city and also have spurs man u villa Brighton and West ham who are all in top half.

Spurs have villa Liverpool man city arsenal Newcastle West ham 

Man ure have Brighton arsenal Newcastle man city Liverpool Chelsea 

Man city have man poo Liverpool Newcastle arsenal Brighton spurs West ham.

Arsenal have man city Brighton villa spurs man utd 

They are going to be taking points off each other or sharing a point.

If we can just keep winning we should get top 4 or better.

Ah right, didn't know there was a Chelsea connection in the family as seemed an odd team to reference. Last season we finished about 15 points clear of them and this season it could well be 20 + so this is the biggest dominance we've had over them in the league since the mid 90s.

Just now, Mantis said:

It's nowhere near a must win - a draw would be absolutely fine. It's almost as clear a case as you will see of "must not lose".

It has a similar edge to the Man. United game.

I know we're well clear of them again but there was no given we'd quickly shake off that defeat and get back on track at Fulham.

We found a way to lose that Man. United game despite dominating the majority of it so that is our warning. Good news is we've won our last three v Spurs and we should get a decent amount of chances with how they play.

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Just out of interest, which would people prefer.

a) win Conference League, finish 6th

b) lose to Ajax but finish in CL spot. 

Tough one. 

I'll take top 4 because conference is such a minor trophy.

I'd take an FA cup over top 4 though

• Like 3

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

It has a similar edge to the Man. United game.

I know we're well clear of them again but there was no given we'd quickly shake off that defeat and get back on track at Fulham.

We found a way to lose that Man. United game despite dominating the majority of it so that is our warning. Good news is we've won our last three v Spurs and we should get a decent amount of chances with how they play.

We've shown we can bounce back so even if we lose to Spurs we can still push on.

6 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Tough one. 

It’s really not that tough at all. Emery has said a number of times his priority is champs league football

10 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Tough one. 

Champions League helps to fill whatever FFP hole we're facing and make our current success more sustainable.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Ah right, didn't know there was a Chelsea connection in the family as seemed an odd team to reference. Last season we finished about 15 points clear of them and this season it could well be 20 + so this is the biggest dominance we've had over them in the league since the mid 90s.

Yes. It's delightful 😄😄

Oldest went to the cup final last week, I was preying they would get hammered but just losing still made my day.

I try and stay humble as with my father-in-law whose spurs and 2 of my best mates man ure fans,  as we all know that being a villa fan comes with no guarantees.

If we managed to get in the top 4, then I will big it up large, until then I'm just celebrating our wins and their losses internally.

8 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

100% B.

Winning the ECL and finishing 6th will mean nothing when we need to sell our best players in the summer due to the lack of CL revenue.

Bang on. 

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

A

Football is about winning things. 

The memory of winning the ECL will live longer than qualifying for the CL and getting knocked out in the group stage like Newcastle did.

Obviously I think we can finish 4th and win the ECL! 

Obviously I see your point but we have never been in the champions league and that is the elite European competition. The conference league doesn't hold the esteem but wouid be a hold starting point 

2 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Obviously I see your point but we have never been in the champions league and that is the elite European competition. The conference league doesn't hold the esteem but wouid be a hold starting point 

We have won the European  cup so Conference wouldn't mean as much  to us as it would to West Ham.

It's a trophy which is 2 tiers below what we have already won

• Like 2