Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

10 minutes ago, Galway Lion said:

Sky spend all of one minute talking about Villa after rattling on for ages about Utd.

Refs and VAR are working overtime to find ways to get Utd into the CL places but I just don’t think they’re good enough.

Everything indicates that they're a mid-table team who have had some jammy results go their way despite consistently vile performances. Even with the referees helping them (Maguire should have been sent off today for starters), they're conceding 20 shots a game. Ten Hag is losing one of his assistants to the MLS, too. Not very rosy for them.

Edited by wishywashy
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, allani said:

Emery's quote (on the Pau thread) seems pretty positive - definitely sounds like it was more precautionary rather than a definite injury.  Fingers, toes and nuts crossed.

sounds painful....... what you are crossing that is

• Haha 1

Just like I said.

Villa are playing bang in form! The bad patch ended when we beat Sheffield United, I expect a smooth sailing now to the end of the season.
Man United luckiness was bound to end. Just not sustainable. I trusted the underlaying stats  They have no chance of finishing above Spurs and Villa. No need to worry about them now.
The Media/Sky must be hating us right now that we've upset the apple cart of the big 6.

Its a shootout between Spurs and Villa for 4th. I think beat Luton and Spurs and its Villa's.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, paul514 said:

sounds painful....... what you are crossing that is

It's a small price to pay if it means Pau is fit for next weekend!!!!

4 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

Just like I said.

Villa are playing bang in form! The bad patch ended when we beat Sheffield United, I expect a smooth sailing now to the end of the season.
Man United luckiness was bound to end. Just not sustainable. I trusted the underlaying stats  They have no chance of finishing above Spurs and Villa. No need to worry about them now.
The Media/Sky must be hating us right now that we've upset the apple cart of the big 6.

Its a shootout between Spurs and Villa for 4th. I think beat Luton and Spurs and its Villa's.

Even a draw against spurs wouldn't be the worst result 

3 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

In reality Man Utd are 9 points behind us because of goal difference

I've gotta say mate, its lovely to see you being more positive!

Gives me hope that we are close to the finish line now 🤣

1 minute ago, jimmygreaves said:

I think there's every chance arsenal will fall away. They ain't winning the league now. The motivation could be lacking. 3rd might be for the taking

No hints to that.

They look rock solid.

It's us or Spurs for 4th

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

In reality Man Utd are 9 points behind us because of goal difference

Their goal difference alone suggests they should be nowhere near the top 6, it annoys me they are within 8 points off us, I’ve seen a lot of their games and they have been lucky in the 95% of them. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, paul514 said:

That is minimum 6th sown up for me now. Got to push on in the next two games to hopefully sow up 5th and then take it game by game.

Yeah to finish below 6th from here would take an absolutely catastrophic collapse. 

• Like 1

Just now, WHY said:

Their goal difference alone suggests they should be nowhere near the top 6, it annoys me they are within 8 points off us, I’ve seen a lot of their games and they have been lucky in the 95% of them. 

It's insane.

As much as it pains me to say they still have some quality individuals which is why they are where they are.

16 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Even so, if we draw with spurs, I can't see them getting 70 points? They play Newcastle away, City and Arsenal in their last 3 games. They might only get 12 points from the rest, plus one for a draw with us would leave them on 63 points I think...

No they don’t. They have 6 guaranteed points v  burnley and Sheffield utd in their last two games. I have spurs ending on 70 points. 

1 minute ago, Pinebro said:

No hints to that.

They look rock solid.

It's us or Spurs for 4th

They've looked uncatchable and in terrific form before and then managed to string some bad results together.  They are in such good form and winning games so easily -  and yet if they lose to Newcastle they'll be closer to the battle for 4th than the title fight.  I suspect that they won't lose to Newcastle tonight though.  

23 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Even so, if we draw with spurs, I can't see them getting 70 points? They play Newcastle away, City and Arsenal in their last 3 games. They might only get 12 points from the rest, plus one for a draw with us would leave them on 63 points I think...

I think the BBC web-site only shows the fixtures for the next two calendar months (if you click the forward button) - I've fallen foul of that design fault before.

6 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

No they don’t. They have 6 guaranteed points v  burnley and Sheffield utd in their last two games. I have spurs ending on 70 points. 

If the Forest and Everton FFP breach penalties have been finalised by that point - it is possible that Burnley and Sheffield Utd might still have something to play for.  Assuming both teams get the same punishment as Everton (and it doesn't get overturned on appeal) the bottom of the league would currently be: Everton 11 (-20 points), Sheff Utd 13, Burnley (13), Forest (14), Luton (20) - with Luton and Sheff Utd both having a game in hand.  If it was as close as that going into the last couple of matches of the season then those two matches become a lot less "bankers" than they might if the two teams had already been relegated.

The PL really need to get the appeal heard, (hopefully) dismissed and then announce the punishments against Everton and Forest so that the relegation battle is decided on the pitch rather than after the end of the season.

• Like 3

On 23/02/2024 at 13:16, VillaJ100 said:

Let's hope for flipping once in his life he tears the LB a new one and for God's sake just puts in a handful of decent crosses. I mean even if it's just through a statistical fluke like if you attempt 10000 crosses at least a few should be okay even if you don't mean them to be

Got the assist for the winner!

• Like 1

Man U are shit. Makes me sick they did the double over us when we are such a better team and threw bought games away. 

My concern is just more injuries. If Torres is injured again we may be able to cope against Luton but I can’t see us beating Spurs. 

• Like 2