Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

6 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

You would have thought at least 8 wins would be needed.

100% record at home to end the season? I would be very happy with that. ;) Yes, 70 points would probably do it, particularly if we can get wins against our two closest challengers in reaching that target. As has been said a draw on Sunday would not be the worst result, but we owe them one (well far more than one!), so let's win on Sunday and extend the gap between us. 🤞

Potential to be a good weekend for us in terms of top 5. Can’t see past Spurs beating Brighton, Arsenal need to beat West Ham tomorrow especially after Man City’s result earlier and I think Villa beat Man Utd. 

Could have a comfortable gap over 6th after this weekend. 

Edited by RichW

17 minutes ago, RichW said:

Potential to be a good weekend for us in terms of top 5. Can’t see past Spurs beating Brighton, Arsenal need to beat West Ham tomorrow especially after Man City’s result earlier and I think Villa beat Man Utd. 

Brighton can beat anyone on their day. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Brighton can beat anyone on their day. 

Guess Brighton are capable of beating Spurs but also losing 4-0 to Luton. Hard to predict them but I wouldn’t be surprised if Spurs do what they did against Brentford and score 3 in 10 minutes. 

46 minutes ago, RichW said:

It is much better for us if Spurs don't beat Brighton surely? Why are you more worried about a team still 11 points off us?

Good half from Brighton but Spurs were 1-0 down v Brentford in their last home match and quickly turned that around so with Son and Bissouma on the bench they have a lot of options to bring on.

12 minutes ago, RichW said:

Guess Brighton are capable of beating Spurs but also losing 4-0 to Luton. Hard to predict them but I wouldn’t be surprised if Spurs do what they did against Brentford and score 3 in 10 minutes. 

Just noticed if they win today they sneak up to 6th!

Brighton started the season really well with 4 wins out their first 6. However since we smashed them at the end of September they've only won 4 more games.

They also have a really bad record away at Spurs

• Like 1

FFS.

People saying we have a stronger squad than Spurs...they just put on all of Son, Bissouma and Johnson on the hour mark today.

Not looking forward to playing them three days after a european match really in a few weeks.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

It is much better for us if Spurs don't beat Brighton surely? Why are you more worried about a team still 11 points off us?

Good half from Brighton but Spurs were 1-0 down v Brentford in their last home match and quickly turned that around so with Son and Bissouma on the bench they have a lot of options to bring on.

Where did I say I was worried about a team 11 points behind us? I’m thinking more because it’s likely top 5 is going to be enough for Champions League. So I’m focusing on there being a big gap between us and 6th. 

I could just worry about Spurs but then I’d be getting really frustrated at them nicking a last minute winner. 

Just now, RichW said:

Where did I say I was worried about a team 11 points behind us? I’m thinking more because it’s likely top 5 is going to be enough for Champions League. So I’m focusing on there being a big gap between us and 6th. 

I could just worry about Spurs but then I’d be getting really frustrated at them nicking a last minute winner. 

Would rather just finish 4th so that was a bad goal for them to score in the context of our season.

Spurs still got plenty of tricky away matches to negotiate in the run in so we could do with them dropping points at home soon like we've started to do.