Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

4 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

**** joke Brentford conceding two goals in 2 mins. We just needed a bit of luck tonight but not getting it. 

Not really luck, Spurs were always likely to win this game. clear favourites, just as we were against Newcastle, but we blew it because we didn't turn up for about the 6th game in a row. 

Spurs made two changes half time and they turn it round straight away. This was the main criticism of Emery yesterday, he had to make some kind of change at half time to what clearly wasn't working. There was no reason to go out with the same team and wait until it was 3 to change things.

If Bailey was only fit for 30 mins, then at least just Zaniolo would have shook it up a bit. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

**** joke Brentford conceding two goals in 2 mins. We just needed a bit of luck tonight but not getting it. 

It's nothing to do with luck, we aren't playing well and that's why we have two wins, two draws and two defeats in our last six games. It doesn't matter what spurs do, we need to improve otherwise we won't even get 5th.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

If we'd just done our job last night then tonight's game wouldn't matter. We have no one else to blame but ourselves. 

It still would. Need Spurs dropping as many points as possible but will probably have to wait until March/April for that to happen looking at their fixtures.

They still have to visit all of Liverpool/Newcastle/Chelsea and homes v Man. City and Arsenal so not like they're just going to breeze ahead.

Playing them three days after europa isn't ideal though. They could easily do to us what Newcastle did last night if we're fatigued. 

8 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Still not worried about spurs as I predicted and got shot down about?

Don’t slap yourself too hard on the back now 

Edited by The_Steve
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Don’t slap yourself too hard on the back now 

Facts are facts. The arrogance of people ignoring spurs as a threat to us is even worse than my statement mate.

We are in for a hell of a fight to keep 5th now never mind 4th.

32 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

It still would. Need Spurs dropping as many points as possible but will probably have to wait until March/April for that to happen looking at their fixtures.

They still have to visit all of Liverpool/Newcastle/Chelsea and homes v Man. City and Arsenal so not like they're just going to breeze ahead.

Playing them three days after europa isn't ideal though. They could easily do to us what Newcastle did last night if we're fatigued. 

Of course we want spurs to drop points but they were unlikely to do so tonight and it was already in our hands even if we’d just drawn yesterday in a game we were widely expected to win.

We can’t make out its ’bad luck’ when we’ve won one of the last five mostly playing crap teams as well.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Farlz said:

As long as West Ham don’t win tomorrow it’s all fine really. 

I’ll let you in on something: they will probably win. It’s Bournemouth at home after all.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

I’ll let you in on something: they will probably win. It’s Bournemouth at home after all.

Bournemouth are unpredictable - they could easily win that 

• Like 1

Tottenhams midfield all of a sudden like really strong, Kylususevski, Maddison and Werner, all with Son to come back. Their bench looks really strong too. I just hope we can click back into gear like how we did following the Newcastle away defeat but we've been so poor for so long

Just now, The_Steve said:

Bournemouth are unpredictable - they could easily win that 

They did beat Man Utd I suppose but I’d still back West Ham as clear favourites. If West Ham were away then I’d say it would be more difficult to predict. 

I may be wrong though.

10 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Of course we want spurs to drop points but they were unlikely to do so tonight and it was already in our hands even if we’d just drawn yesterday in a game we were widely expected to win.

We can’t make out its ’bad luck’ when we’ve won one of the last five mostly playing crap teams as well.

Really don't want Spurs shooting about 73-75 points as we won't reach that figure so the more points they drop the better.

If it's 65-70 points to make 4th we still have a decent chance but need to get back winning very soon.

• Like 1

Man City, Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs will be the top 4 this season. We made hay while the sun was shining and made the most of our home form but issues with injuries, squad depth and, frankly, quality have caught up with us. We were never really going to challenge those teams. We've had far more good results than we've had good performances.

The real challenge is to make the most of our great start, and Utd and Chelsea stumbling, to see if we can hold on to 5th or 6th. My gut says both West Ham and Newcastle will leapfrog us over the remainder of the season and Man Utd could too. It's disappointing, but the party line will be that we use it for experience and improve further next year...

It just goes to show how hard it is to break that ceiling. We'll likely lose some big names/wages due to FFP and no Champions League, but that's why teams like West Ham (Rice) and Brighton (loads!) have been knocking at that door for a few seasons but unable to break it down.

But, ultimately, this is why as a fan I am far more interested in a Cup win than scraping fifth and a potential CL place due to coefficients or whatever it is. I'll remember lifting the trophy far more than sporadic forays in to the CL before top players move on. I'd take an FA Cup win and ending 9th over CL qualification. Unfortunately, based on recent form, that dream will be over by this time next week too!

• Confused 1