Race for Champions League - 2023/2024

Don_Simon

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The fact you are even talking about missed opportunities in a champions league thread is a wonderful thing. 

Never forget how far we’ve come and nothing is painful.

Loser mentality.

While we're here we have to push the club like what Unai is trying to do.

Sorry but I will not subscribe to this mindset.

2 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Loser mentality.

While we're here we have to push the club like what Unai is trying to do.

Sorry but I will not subscribe to this mindset.

This mindset that you adopt is what makes the place toxic after a few defeats.  We’re here to support the club, not ‘push it’ by moaning all the time and becoming entitled.

Fair enough though. You do you. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

This mindset that you adopt is what makes the place toxic after a few defeats.  We’re here to support the club, not ‘push it’ by moaning all the time and becoming entitled.

Fair enough though. You do you. 

Pushing the club and not allowing expectations to drop doesn't have to be toxic.

You can't stay in the happy to be here mindset forever if you want to go to the next step.

Edited by Pinebro

2 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Pushing the club and not allowing expectations to drop doesn't have to be toxic.

You can't stay in the happy to be here mindset forever if you want to go to the next step.

You can after one defeat though against a team that is very hard to beat at home. 

Anyway we all want the same thing. I just think it’s good to keep some perspective at times.

26 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

You can after one defeat though against a team that is very hard to beat at home. 

Anyway we all want the same thing. I just think it’s good to keep some perspective at times.

Those home games consists of games against Sheffield United, Burnley, Brentford and Luton which  3 of those 4 games ended in draws.

We should have beaten them. There is no sugar coating it.

We move though. Just saying the defeat in Nottingham should not have happened, their a poor side.

Edited by Pinebro

My annoyance with Forest is that it was a good opportunity to improve on what we did last season (a draw under Gerrard). So we lost a point there.

We’re currently +2 on like for like results. We’d need to beat Fulham and Spurs just to maintain that. We then have an opportunity to improve the comparative points return when we play Bournemouth away. 

This comparison is not the be-all and end-all, if we were one -1 but somehow top of the league, I’d be fairly content. But it’s just a further little indication of improvements.

I’d be very happy in my lifetime to see is win just two trophies , one being the fa cup and either the premier league, champions league or europa league (not conference) … felt like we should have won the Fa Cup back in 2000 against Chelsea in when i was a bouncy little ten year old that would have meant the world to me back then i was so excited watching us like jumping around everywhere gasping at every chance we had , i was in tears at the end

Edited by RicRic

I think we are currently a 6-7th squad.

If we improve the away form and stop giving silly goals away that can be improved.

Unai Emery, will not be happy, with some of the things on show, in certain games.....so why should we be.

When he's satisfied, I will be.

Constructive criticism/observation, is not to be confused with Moaning.

41 minutes ago, TRO said:

If we improve the away form and stop giving silly goals away that can be improved.

Unai Emery, will not be happy, with some of the things on show, in certain games.....so why should we be.

I'd say City, Arsenal and Liverpool are the best 3 but after that it's fine margins for the next few positions.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, villan95 said:

I'd say City, Arsenal and Liverpool are the best 3 but after that it's fine margins for the next few positions.

Agreed. Spurs and Newcastle are now running into the injury problems that gave us issues to start (Mings, Buendia, JJ, Moreno)

It’s a long season and Unai has to plan for a lengthy campaign in the league and conference. If we can keep winning easy games early and conserve energy for the late run, that will save us come the new year. 

Under MON and Dean, we were shattered by January so hopefully our style of play can preserve us. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I agree, I feel confident in saying based off of what I have watched this season that Villa are a top 6/7 side. I think Man City, Arsenal and Liverpool are a level above but it is also very close between Villa/Spurs/Newcastle/Brighton. It is going to come down to which teams can avoid the most injuries to key players and who can get the unexpected win at some of these tough away grounds.

If I had to pick which team out of the other three who I think has the best chance of finishing above Villa it would be Newcastle. I'm just basing that on the fact they seem able to keep clean sheets but that injury list they've got might put a stop to that. There's a long way to go yet. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, RichW said:

I agree, I feel confident in saying based off of what I have watched this season that Villa are a top 6/7 side. I think Man City, Arsenal and Liverpool are a level above but it is also very close between Villa/Spurs/Newcastle/Brighton. It is going to come down to which teams can avoid the most injuries to key players and who can get the unexpected win at some of these tough away grounds.

If I had to pick which team out of the other three who I think has the best chance of finishing above Villa it would be Newcastle. I'm just basing that on the fact they seem able to keep clean sheets but that injury list they've got might put a stop to that. There's a long way to go yet. 

Agree with this.  Especially if Newcastle fully crash out of Europe by coming 4th in the CL.

Their injuries will hurt them, and their quality in depth is even worse than ours (except at striker)  but that first choice 11 clicks so well that they'll be a challenge all season. 

Spurs look to have started their capitulation, but without Europe they should continue to be a threat too. Maybe less so than a fully fit Newcastle. 

Brighton seem to be off the boil a bit and I think are a ring below us 3.

Newcastle and Tottenham have had more luck than us so far in terms of decisions and injuries which is annoying but that might have started to turn a little now, at least for Tottenham.

You can't rule out Man Utd of course if they find some kind of cohesion. They have been very poor but have somehow still put 18 points on the board.

Hopefully Chelsea have too many issues and don't click, but we already have a nice cushion on them at least. Brighton seem to have gone off the boil a little, possibly concentrating on the Europa League but still in 7th so not a bad start by any means.

Overall though I think it will be between ourselves, Newcastle and Tottenham for 4th, 5th and 6th. Hopefully we can pip at least 1 of them for CL football.

Edited by villan95

2 hours ago, TRO said:

Even though technically speaking that may be the case we still need to push for and demand more.

That's how we will improve.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, villan95 said:

Newcastle and Tottenham have had more luck than us so far in terms of decisions and injuries which is annoying but that might have started to turn a little now, at least for Tottenham.

You can't rule out Man Utd of course if they find some kind of cohesion. They have been very poor but have somehow still put 18 points on the board.

Hopefully Chelsea have too many issues and don't click, but we already have a nice cushion on them at least. Brighton seem to have gone off the boil a little, possibly concentrating on the Europa League but still in 7th so not a bad start by any means.

Overall though I think it will be between ourselves, Newcastle and Tottenham for 4th, 5th and 6th. Hopefully we can pip at least 1 of them for CL football.

The only concern I have got with Man Utd this if they sack ETH and manage to get somebody (no idea who that would be anyway) who can get a tune out of them. 

As much as I'd like ETH to stay in a job to the boxing day game, looking at their fixtures over the next month or so it's hard to make a case for them to get much points on the board. You'd like to think Luton this weekend will be a home banker for them but then they have got; Everton(A), Galatasaray (A), Newcastle (A), Chelsea (H), Bournemouth (H), Liverpool (A) and West Ham (A).

Their record away to anybody half decent is well known, I'd be surprised if his not on the brink of being sacked after probably another heavy defeat at Anfield. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RichW said:

The only concern I have got with Man Utd this if they sack ETH and manage to get somebody (no idea who that would be anyway) who can get a tune out of them. 

As much as I'd like ETH to stay in a job to the boxing day game, looking at their fixtures over the next month or so it's hard to make a case for them to get much points on the board. You'd like to think Luton this weekend will be a home banker for them but then they have got; Everton(A), Galatasaray (A), Newcastle (A), Chelsea (H), Bournemouth (H), Liverpool (A) and West Ham (A).

Their record away to anybody half decent is well known, I'd be surprised if his not on the brink of being sacked after probably another heavy defeat at Anfield. 

Would love if we put ETH to the sword on boxing day at OT. Would be great to watch after our troubles over the years there.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, ender4 said:

England are up to sixth in the coefficient race to get that extra CL spot.  Germany are storming ahead so we’ll need a couple of English teams to progress far into the competitions.

Newcastle and United will probably both be knocked out of Europe before Christmas

Liverpool dont seem to be playing a full strength team either