Aston Villa Kits 23/24

ferguson1

12 minutes ago, limpid said:

claret.jpg

Interesting. Tried to convert that to rgb to test something in my phone and it looks nothing like that colour. Looks purple... 

R: 109

G: 19

B: 61

According to a converter?

Appreciate the lighting of the location, the quality of the camera, the quality of the picture upload is going to affect it, but it's not even close to claret

Edited by MrBlack

7 hours ago, FLVillan said:

I have some insight into this question (I did sports kit and two logo changes in a ten year span at a US college sports dept).  The new college logo was specific with the pantone matching system (PMS) for the ink colours.  All of the printed material and digital logos were perfect.  The issue is that the PMS system doesn't match up with fabric dyes.  So while you can create consistency with any logo or artwork in printed/digital form, getting a fabric manufacturer to come up with an exact match is extremely difficult.  Moreover, the type of fabric used (nylon, poly, cotton etc etc) and the density of the materials will absorb the dye at different levels, causing two pieces of fabric to look significantly different with the same dye.  Add in the fact that most of the production facilities are scattered around in southeast Asia, and it becomes extremely challenging, no matter how much money is being spent.

In one of our college changes the new logo was predominantly blue and the supplier for all of our teams at the time (adidas) had several shades of dark blue.  We got samples of them and in a room of people, half of them said the closest match was navy blue and half said it was "dark royal" (they offered two shades of royal blue). At one point, we had a baseball shirt alongside a basketball shirt in the exact-same colour on a table and they looked completely different shades.

Thankfully I had the final say and went for navy blue for all teams because there was no chance I was putting any of our kids into Small Heath colours.... 😄

This is giving me flashbacks of being on Arkansas message boards and hearing that only Nike could do Cardinal Red and that Adidas and Apex screwed it up and oh god the gin is calling 

I have less belief this is an issue currently as it’s clear Fanatics is doing all the design and printing and Castore just puts a name on for profit. Any errors in the color are on them. Considering they printed for Luke also who everyone loves, I don’t know the issue. 

2 hours ago, 479Villan said:

This is giving me flashbacks of being on Arkansas message boards and hearing that only Nike could do Cardinal Red and that Adidas and Apex screwed it up and oh god the gin is calling 

I have less belief this is an issue currently as it’s clear Fanatics is doing all the design and printing and Castore just puts a name on for profit. Any errors in the color are on them. Considering they printed for Luke also who everyone loves, I don’t know the issue. 

Tis true.  Only the very very top income-producing franchises can dictate a specific colour shade with kit manufacturers.  For example, when we were supplied by Reebok, and they were also the exclusive NFL supplier, they had colours such as "Dolphin Teal" and "Jaguar Gold".  When I was at Brown University, they signed a contract with Nike because they were the only supplier who produced in the colour brown (no coincidence that they had the NFL contract by that stage and the Cleveland Browns would have needed it). 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, FLVillan said:

Tis true.  Only the very very top income-producing franchises can dictate a specific colour shade with kit manufacturers.  For example, when we were supplied by Reebok, and they were also the exclusive NFL supplier, they had colours such as "Dolphin Teal" and "Jaguar Gold".  When I was at Brown University, they signed a contract with Nike because they were the only supplier who produced in the colour brown (no coincidence that they had the NFL contract by that stage and the Cleveland Browns would have needed it). 

In my experience of football that's not accurate.

Yes, shit teams like Small Heath would get whatever royal blue was in the catalogue, but any team in the top division of their national league (and national teams) would get their exact colour unless they didn't have a specific reference.

It wasn't always Pantone - for instance the Italy "sky blue" - was referenced from a swatch of an old shirt.  It would only be if a team said, say, "we play in bright red" that we'd be free to make proposals or put them in whatever our standard team equivalent was.

15 hours ago, 479Villan said:

My understanding is that this approach was true of the Luke deal but that Kappa and Castore are/were doing everything themselves.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MrBlack said:

Interesting. Tried to convert that to rgb to test something in my phone and it looks nothing like that colour. Looks purple... 

R: 109

G: 19

B: 61

According to a converter?

Appreciate the lighting of the location, the quality of the camera, the quality of the picture upload is going to affect it, but it's not even close to claret

CMYK into RGB isn't always a good match.

You'll always get a greater degree of accuracy in print, dye, paint etc from CMYK whereas on screen it has to be RGB.

Apologies if I'm stating the obvious here, but converters from one format to another are usually crap - especially on screen.

• Thanks 3

Just now, NurembergVillan said:

CMYK into RGB isn't always a good match.

You'll always get a greater degree of accuracy in print, dye, paint etc from CMYK whereas on screen it has to be RGB.

Apologies if I'm stating the obvious here, but converters from one format to another are usually crap - especially on screen.

I knew it wouldn't be exact, but was quite surprised how far off it was. I won't try using one again that's for sure.

There obviously is an rgb equivalent of what that colour appears like on my screen  but the converter doesn't get close to it.

I used the colour picker in pocket paint and it's 120:61:67 for reference. So quite different really.

I assume that we provide that holte claret cmyk reference to out kit designers anyway, but what we end up with is at their whim and then impacted by whatever material it gets printed on

Just now, GlobalVillan said:

That Navy away top is up there with our best ever. Yorke brace at Highbury in the 96 semi final.

It's forever the Tommy Johnson kit for me. Loved that kit.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

It's forever the Tommy Johnson kit for me. Loved that kit.

I'd say the home kit was more Tommy Johnson for me

The away shirt Alan Wright for some reason. Strange how we remember things.

7 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

I'd say the home kit was more Tommy Johnson for me

The away shirt Alan Wright for some reason. Strange how we remember things.

The goal away at Middlesbrough I’m guessing is why you remember him for that kit

If people are moaning about the home shirt just wait until they see the feeble effort for the away shirt! Being sold on DHGate it’s a throwback to the 90’s white  with a little blue and black on the shoulder. Awful 

Spoiler

• Confused 1

52 minutes ago, Galway Lion said:

If people are moaning about the home shirt just wait until they see the feeble effort for the away shirt! Being sold on DHGate it’s a throwback to the 90’s white  with a little blue and black on the shoulder. Awful 

Reveal hidden contents

I thought that looked fine.... but it's almost certainly not the genuine away kit anyway, pretty sure it had the old badge on it

Edited by MrBlack