Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

Hopefully we can sell Hause this window or Davis to help us bring in more names. My worry is we will be stuck with this deadwood for another year. 

Feels like we are struggling to move them on… but maybe deals are “in the pipeline”…

Hause still injured?

Thought there would have been a bit of demand for Davis, in the Championship, but maybe our demands are a little too high?

4 minutes ago, villan95 said:

Foyth? He has a €54M release clause. Not sure if we could get him cheaper though

From the quote I read about his clause it implied that if Barca wanted him they would have to pay the full release clause. It may be that we could get him cheaper, as it sounds like Villarreal just don't want to deal with Barca.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

26 games less at RB than Chambers 

Foyth is 3 years younger tbf and just a much better player.

We don't even have 2 players per position in defence anymore so someone definitely has to come in.

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

The problem with chambers playing more is, chambers playing more. We can’t improve like that. 

Yep, he'll be fine for maybe 10 appearances v weaker opposition but anymore than that and it's pushing it if we want to do something this season.

55 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Neymar going to Saudi

You go to Saudi when you're not worth your current salary to anyone else who is able to pay. Or you're not wanted because you might disrupt a dressing room or be high maintenance. Place for has-beens in one form or another.

I've got a gut feeling we'll make a move for Maguire. Not thrilled but we need a vocal defender and organiser, and he'd give that. Has a point to prove. Mind he'll lose his England spot if he joined us as conkface sees our club as kryptonite.

19 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Don’t think we need or should spend on another CB… I’d like to see us put faith in the Pau and Carlos partnership - 2 elite CBs on their day, both Europa League winners and have played in the Champions League.

At their very best… they are or have been better players than Mings and Konsa… that may seem controversial, but in terms of ability and “peak form” they have been and have competed at the highest levels unlike those two (who have still been excellent, in no way a criticism)…

Allow Pau to play in his favoured and strongest position too, I think he’s being highly underestimated and underrated, just focus on that. Diego should bring us the physicality, presence and leadership we miss with Ty out… 😭

Having invested significant finances in them, we need to give them the chance to show their worth and demonstrate their abilities… rather than place too many doubts, there may have to be an adjustment period but I think we have to stick with it… we’re almost forced to now…

Aided by Konsa (competition) and Chambers who are versatile. Maybe even Dendoncker would be better suited adapting to a CB, due to his specific limitations and attributes, to help out… that’s if he sticks around… strength and ability in the air…

We could really do with genuine RB competition for Cash, or an upgrade. He is far too comfortable and assured of his place in the side…

Midfield…. Could we do with a major physical presence and leader? Someone to push Kamara and not guarantee him regular starts? Not sure… we do lack physicality (even moreso now 😭) in this side… it’s been a consistent theme/problem for us ( @TRO and me have been banging this drum for a long while)…

It’s our attack and build up that needs help and work… especially with the players missing…

Not shitting on Digne but he is definitely a downgrade on Moreno and holds us back significantly…

We need creators and killer finishers…

Fullbacks and attackers methinks…

I think you are right....on paper, Carlos and Torres are top draw.....but as you say Physicality/ Atleticism plays a big role in this league......highlighted on Saturday at St James's

They are Champions league standard.....but there is a difference between a cup competition (irrespective of its gold standard) and 38 arduous games from teams with physical Stature as their Bench mark.

I think the Newcastle fanbase and club, pay more attention to it than we seem to do.

I also agree, a more physical presence, needs to find its way in to midfield, but that is not at the expense of creativity or passing ability.....you only have to examine the performances of "Rodri", to know the value that a frame like that, has......and Arsenals pursuit of Rice.....We saw the muscle from Joelintion and how it wears lesser players down....The constant pushing and shoving and leaning in, goes under the radar, but wears players down......you have to be an exceptionally talented team all round to negate that.

Incidently.....I did'nt have to witness the performance at Newcastle, to be mindful of all this.

5 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Chambers will get alot more game time I don't see another defender coming in

Last year offseason he said something in an interview about having to manage his game time due to his knee as he did his ACL a few years back, he may not be physically able to play as many games as we need.

3 minutes ago, villan95 said:

Yep, he'll be fine for maybe 10 appearances v weaker opposition but anymore than that and it's pushing it if we want to do something this season.

That’s fine though in the context of needing strength for more games because of Europe/cups.

If we can’t play chambers against the likes of Hibs then his career is truly over