Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

Recent news, on Aaron and Cam, just brings more belief that there are more signings on the way, we are not done. I’m all for whatever Unai wants to do - we want to be as strong as possible and launch an attack on all fronts! All for it!

A stronger, more dangerous, more effective/clinical team is going to be a sight to behold… finally, Unai gets to build this squad in his own image… the potter is moulding the clay… WATCH OUT!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Surely another forward is coming if Archer goes. 

Duran isn't ready and he has had no pre season.

Unless Diaby is the Watkins backup and Buendia/Coutinho take the Diaby place?

If that happens, I would be sure of it…

I keep thinking of Unai’s comments during our US tour…

Working on outgoings, watching the market and ready to act toward the end of August for “good opportunities” or “big deals”…

No way we are done…

Monchi implied the same too… but we won’t go “crazy”… but want to equip Unai as well as possible to challenge on all fronts…

• Like 1

forgive me if this has been done a few times already but I was bored and made a quick spreadsheet to wrap my head around squad restrictions this season in the Prem and how our current squad fits into them.

My main takeaways were the fact we currently have an exact 25 man squad, with main team and under 21s combined. 

In that 25 are a few I'd expect us to move on instead of register, the main two being Davis and Hause.

I then think you could put question marks against all of Olsen, Chambers, Coutinho, Traore, Archer and Bailey.

All of them leaving though would obviously cause a lot of upheaval so I'm half expecting us now to just sit tight with a few in the squad and give them another year under Emery to see how they fair / whether they feature. I definitely think a defender needs to go so I imagine it'll be Hause. I think an attacking player needs go and I'm not sure on this one, but would prefer Coutinho or Traore over anyone else. Then Davis to go too would be my assumption from the strikers.

My other takeaway was how impressed I was by the volume of players we don't need to register in the squad in order to play, that could actually pick up a lot of minutes. Duran, Philogene, Iroegbunam, Revan, Feeney, Young, Kellyman, Marschall, Chrisene, Bogarde to name ones I think could get game time. A lot of these could do with loans out but in the case of Duran and Philogene in particular, I'd feel comfortable with a 23 man squad knowing these guys are ready to step up, and we've got space in Jan if they don't step up and we hit an injury crisis. Not included Aaron Ramsey for obvious reasons but if he stayed he'd be right up there for me. The issue being we are already bloated in his position and even then Duran and Philogene would be ahead of him in the youth ranks for game time. 

Current 25 man squad:

2 GK: Olsen, Martínez

9 DF: Hause, Chambers, Digne, Moreno, Carlos, Mings, Cash, Konsa, Torres

4 DM: Dendoncker, Tielemans, Kamara, Luiz

7 AM: Coutinho, Traoré, McGinn, Buendía, Bailey, Ramsey, Diaby

3 ST: Davis, Archer, Watkin

• Thanks 1

regarding the Archer speculation, too many murmurs for him to be sticking around I think, must be something in it. I would say after looking at squad registration, the fact his birthday is in december has massively hampered him. If he was born Jan 2022 instead he wouldn't be taking a spot in the squad and that might have been enough for Emery to give him a season to impress.

16 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Recent news, on Aaron and Cam, just brings more belief that there are more signings on the way, we are not done. I’m all for whatever Unai wants to do - we want to be as strong as possible and launch an attack on all fronts! All for it!

He has to get the numbers down too, and if he is planning on Archer going then we will surely be in for another striker once we've got a few more off the wage bill.

10 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Surely another forward is coming if Archer goes. 

Duran isn't ready and he has had no pre season.

Unless Diaby is the Watkins backup and Buendia/Coutinho take the Diaby place?

Keinan to replace Archer ....

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, skarroki said:

All Current 25 man squad:

3 ST: DavisArcher, Watkins

I think we might see these 4 moving on.

19 minutes ago, skarroki said:

regarding the Archer speculation, too many murmurs for him to be sticking around I think, must be something in it. I would say after looking at squad registration, the fact his birthday is in december has massively hampered him. If he was born Jan 2022 instead he wouldn't be taking a spot in the squad and that might have been enough for Emery to give him a season to impress.

But if we replace him with someone that wasn't at the club for 3 years before 21, then we lose a man from our ECL squad.

Edited by MrBlack

28 minutes ago, skarroki said:

Current 25 man squad:

And the same squad with ECL Uefa restrictions becomes a 24 man squad. I assume we lose Hause from it to comply...

8 DF: Chambers, Digne, Moreno, Carlos, Mings, Cash, Konsa, Torres

Those in bold meeting homegrown criteria.

If we lose Archer and Davis, we cant add anyone to that ECL squad that wasn't with us for 3 years before 21, unless we lose someone else over 21. I'd guess Traoré would be the obvious dropout to accommodate a new striker if we sell Davis or Archer, but then your squad becomes 23 players.

Edited by MrBlack

1 minute ago, thabucks said:

I’d rather drop a player from the squad and get in a better striker than keep Archer to keep it a 25 man squad personally… 

If that's the choice I agree.

But I'm not sure selling Archer is the key to us having the FFP room to sign a new striker though. Davis would be a better option to drop. Then keep Archer, and buy a new striker :).

4 minutes ago, DevonIsAPlaceOnEarth said:

Understandable that people are in two minds about selling academy prospects. But for every Jacob Ramsey there’s three Hepburn-Murphys

Its so true. Our Youth Cup winners who looked incredible as a team

Brad Young , Raikhy , Lindley all released

Barry League 2 loan 

Swinkels barely heard of anymore

Bogarde Revan and Chrisene likely to go on loan to championship or below level. 

Aaron and Carney sold . 

Marschall as 3rd keeper 

• Like 1