Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

14 minutes ago, thabucks said:

So Johnson’s a proven premiership player isn’t worth the £££ but Balgoun’s who’s played in the farmers leagues and unproven in the prem is - mmm okay 😂… 

8 goals and 3 assists is enough to prove yourself worthy of 50m?

Balogun's not had the opportunity to prove himself in the prem but he scored 21 goals and 2 assists for a small team. I don't think he's worth 50m either yet but I think he's done a lot more this year than Johnson. Outperforms him comfortably in just about every metric, albeit in a worse league. 

11 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Is he? What's he proven?

In and out of the Forest team in the crucial run in.

Yes I’d say he has proven himself capable and that he can hold his own in the prem and  improve as a player. I don’t want him to sign necessarily but trust our data / stats department more than VT members 

2 minutes ago, lexicon said:

8 goals and 3 assists is enough to prove yourself worthy of 50m?

Balogun's not had the opportunity to prove himself in the prem but he scored 21 goals and 2 assists for a small team. I don't think he's worth 50m either yet but I think he's done a lot more this year than Johnson. Outperforms him comfortably in just about every metric, albeit in a worse league. 

No but he’s proven himself capable to handle the prem … Balgoun hasn’t 

6 hours ago, HKP90 said:

I mean, he's a decent player, but I don't think anyone is going to 'smash transfer records' to get him. 

Yeah, how does the scale works for us?

33.5 - 40mil beat our transfer record

40 - 50mil break our transfer record

50.- 60mil smash our transfer record

60 -70mil obliterate our transfer record

70+mil oh f#*k, oh f#*k, what's going on.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, thabucks said:

No but he’s proven himself capable to handle the prem … Balgoun hasn’t 

Again, I'd dispute the first part insofar as him being good enough to play for us or justify the fee involved. Remember El Ghazi scored 10 league goals in a season once, it takes more than that. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Yes I’d say he has proven himself capable and that he can hold his own in the prem and  improve as a player.

He's been ok I think. Didn't have a good season like Lundstram or Pukki or DJ Campbell or any other number of players that were probably never good enough for the Premier League. Wasn't particularly a star man for Forest either.

6 minutes ago, thabucks said:

trust our data / stats department

Not sure I do to be honest. I don't think we've spent the owners ample resources smartly. Hoping Monchi sorts them out.

I obviously do trust Emery, but he can't watch every player in the world.

8 minutes ago, JoshVilla said:

No idea if this guy is legit, but a thread for anyone who (like me) has nothing better to do on a Monday night.

The upside of Elon making Twitter inaccessible to non account holders

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, RicRic said:

Any links to any LB’s and CB’s are false i guarantee you we are not signing anyone else in those positions so id wisely suggest to ignore.

In January, we said no chance are we signing a left-back, not a real need as we have Digne, Augustinsson and Young to play there.  

And presto along came Moreno and Augustinsson was out the door!  In Unai I trust, and if he brings in another player I'm not going to make the mistake of questioning the wisdom of the signing or what will happen next.

To be honest, I wouldn't be very surprised to see Mings or Konsa get sold at a healthy profit.  Unlikely, but I trust this management at the club to get it right.  

We all questioned the sales of Gray and Gidman in 1979/80, and look what happened there! 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, FLVillan said:

To be honest, I wouldn't be very surprised to see Mings or Konsa get sold at a healthy profit.  Unlikely, but I trust this management at the club to get it right.  

Mings is one of first names on team sheet. Both are ahead of Carlos. Konsa might be seen as FB option since Young and Cash role was not to get forward but tuck in when Moreno got forward

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lexicon said:

Which is a fair point but you could also say that their valuation of him is also a lot lower than Forest's, which is the point. 

It's important to state here that we're not talking about bad players anymore, but rather looking at value and ceilings. I don't think Johnson would be worth spending more than 25/30m on in today's market - that doesn't mean I think he's shit, just not up to the required level yet. 

Yeah I wasn't suggesting that there's enough to indicate he'd theoretically be worth £50 million or anything of the sort, just there's likely more to his numbers on paper or at least enough context to them (like Forest having comfortably the least possession in the league etc) to justify the likes of Brentford and Villa being at the very least curious about him. Just seeing a lot of FBRef screenshots floating around completely writing him off which is probably harsh on him.

It's a tough position because it's a place in the squad that needs filling to take Villa to the next level, so there's much more scrutiny on the likes of Johnson who probably would be looked at as good potential signings previously before Emery elevated us to such an extent. I can understand why they'd be interested as he is the right profile of player - has often played on the right of a kind of asymmetrical front two, is quick, decent quality in front of goal etc. His quality relative to the likely price would make it questionable to the point I'd be more than surprised if it happened, but the type of player he is ticks some boxes anyway.

Edited by Indigo

I advocated buying livermento when. Saw Southampton wanted 15m for him. Just saw a story that they turned down 21 million from Newcastle and want 38m….

that will be a hard NO!

10 minutes ago, paul514 said:

I advocated buying livermento when. Saw Southampton wanted 15m for him. Just saw a story that they turned down 21 million from Newcastle and want 38m….

that will be a hard NO!

Post ACL injury that's risky buy