Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

For the forward line I think we need…

RW/SS: New, Buendia, Bailey

LM: New, JJ and AJ*

RM: New, McGinn, New (Youth)*

* if we get European games

I’m not sure on the RM starter but for LM I’d go Goncalves or Xavi Simons (possibly unrealistic). For the RW/SS I’d go with Asensio.

18 minutes ago, av1 said:

Emery could be considering a change i shape, or just giving himself options, but there is no place in our current set up for someone that can only play left wing. 

Like with the links to Ferran Torres, I think we’ll be looking at players with the ability to play anywhere across the frontline. 

Barnes can’t do that. 

I think we will be looking for a wide left attacking midfielder - but that player will (I think) be expected to be driving the ball towards goal with Moreno then providing the width (and crosses) outside him.  With that type of player you could also see passages of play where Ollie drops wide and deep and the AML is then driving past him (on the inside) and "filling in" as a striker.  Similar to what Ramsey (and Buendia) has done at times this season - attacking the goal / top of the penalty area rather than attacking wide.

27 minutes ago, av1 said:

Emery could be considering a change i shape, or just giving himself options, but there is no place in our current set up for someone that can only play left wing. 

I assume that's partially because we have no left wingers, after a certain ex-manager decided that we didn't need any

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, allani said:

I think we will be looking for a wide left attacking midfielder - but that player will (I think) be expected to be driving the ball towards goal with Moreno then providing the width (and crosses) outside him.  With that type of player you could also see passages of play where Ollie drops wide and deep and the AML is then driving past him (on the inside) and "filling in" as a striker.  Similar to what Ramsey (and Buendia) has done at times this season - attacking the goal / top of the penalty area rather than attacking wide.

It’s why I think Guendouzi still make perfect sense. Can do this and play as a more traditional CM/CDM. 

As I said above regarding forward players that can play actress the frontline, I think we’ll see a couple of players that are comfortable in a couple of positions. It makes whatever transfer budget we have go much further.

Just looking at the squad as it is now, trying to get a rough idea of how many in and outs we might expect.

This is roughly our current squad:

Goalkeepers Defenders

Martínez Cash
Olsen Konsa
Steer Mings
Sinisalo Chambers
  A Young
  Digne
  Carlos
  Moreno
  Hause

Midfielders Forwards

Luiz Watkins
McGinn Durán
Buendía Davis
J Ramsey Wesley
Kamara Archer
Dendonker  
Sanson  
Nakamba  
Iroegbunam  
Coutinho  
Traore  
K Young  
Bailey  
Philogene-Bidace  
A Ramsey  

I think most likely we'll be actively trying to move on Sanson, Nakamba, Hause, Davis, and Wesley. You can probably add Traore to that list as well depending on who we are looking at bringing in. From his interviews, it seems Emery wants to at least have a look at the likes of Sinisalo, ArcherIroegbunam, A Ramsey, and Philogene-Bidace before making any decisions on them, but I'd say most likely they'll be loaned out again, and probably Kadan Young will be too. Then we have Steer and Ashley Young coming to the end of their contracts.

Obviously, this is just what I think we might be looking at, and the chances of losing all of these players are slim, A Young might sign for another year, and Emery might decide with all the games that some of the younger ones might be better served to hang around the squad. 

However, if you remove all of those listed above you are left with the following:

Goalkeepers Defenders

Martínez Cash
Olsen Konsa
  Mings
  Chambers
  Digne
  Carlos
  Moreno

Midfielders Forwards

Luiz Watkins
McGinn Durán
Buendía  
J Ramsey  
Kamara  
Dendonker  
Coutinho  
Bailey  

That's really not much in terms of numbers. If we qualify for Europe we could have an additional ~11 games or so, and you'd hope now Emery ball is in full swing we might go a bit further in the domestic cups as well.

So we may actually need to do a bit more business than I originally thought.

I don't see us selling Dendonker the summer after buying him, he's a very useful squad option in a few positions, a Belgian international with Premier League and European experience, absolutely good enough to come in and do a job when the games are coming thick and fast, he's had some great performances for us already and apart from one mistake has always been solid.

I don't think we'll sell Chambers either unless we plan on signing more homegrown players, we've not much wiggle room with the homegrown quota especially if we lose Young over the Summer, and as we all know there's a premium to sign them. Again he's got decent experience, has generally been pretty solid, and is good enough to step in when needed.

Obviously, every player has his price, I just don't see us trying to actively offload those two. We're not in a situation where we can afford 2 real quality players in each position just yet, that's reserved for those with top 4 budgets, we'll move these types of players on eventually, but doing so too soon would be leaving ourselves short for no reason.

I also think we'd be open to moving on Coutinho and Digne, due to their wages in comparison to their squad status, however, both can still contribute to the first team and would probably still see plenty of game time should we make Europe. I think it probably depends on what is offered and how many we've let go/got in should any offers arrive for them.

The goalkeeping situation is also interesting, I'm not a fan of Olsen and I don't think Emery is particularly either, but moving him on will be difficult and as Steer is out of contract we'd then be looking at trying to bring in a couple of keepers to essentially sit on the bench. I've not seen enough of the younger guys to know if they are ready to step up, but at the very least I think we'll try to bring in one backup keeper, probably homegrown at a guess to help with the quota.

I think in general the job at hand is trying to keep roughly the same number of players, if not adding a few, but obviously, we are looking to improve the overall quality of the squad.

In conclusion, I have no idea, but it looks like we might be in for an interesting window.

Edited by Teale's 'tache
Removed phantom spacing
  • Like 4

My confirmed wishlist

Nico Williams
Luiz Henrique
Ibrahima Bamba
Lee Kang-in
Takefusa Kubo
Matteo Guendouzi
Habib Diarra
Christopher Nkunku
Marco Asensio
Samuel Chukwueze
Jonathan David
Dusan Vlahovic
Victor Osimhen
Boulaye Dia

Not sure who we could get for right-back, thought Dumfries but seems everyone thinks that we want a more defensive minded player, for that position, maybe Juan Foyth, for strikers I wasn't sure either, so just copied and pased a few from top goal scorer charts, I know Osimhen unlikely.

13 hours ago, paul514 said:

Well that depends what role he is playing in a team doesn’t it?

our 4 main outlets for goals is supposed to be the positions Watkins, Buendia, Ramsey and McGinn play.

it’s a fact that our team needs to find another 20 goals a season on top of what we have this season to be competing for a top 6 place. 

id be expecting near double figures for the Ramsey/McGinn role in the league. Say 7/8 plus double figures for the Buendia role 

Mcginn no and ramsey no not really , buendia and bailey yes , the latter two should be getting 11 goals each in those areas to boost us into that Top 5 , so now we need to go and get the players that can and just to touch on the latest reports im not keen on harvey barnes , he would be a great bench option however 👍🏽

Not sure why everyone is talking about goals, Messi is guaranteed to get about 40. 

:trollface:

11 minutes ago, useless said:

My confirmed wishlist

Nico Williams
Luiz Henrique
Ibrahima Bamba
Lee Kang-in
Takefusa Kubo
Matteo Guendouzi
Habib Diarra
Christopher Nkunku
Marco Asensio
Samuel Chukwueze
Jonathan David
Dusan Vlahovic
Victor Osimhen
Boulaye Dia

Not sure who we could get for right-back, thought Dumfries but seems everyone thinks that we want a more defensive minded player, for that position, maybe Juan Foyth, for strikers I wasn't sure either, so just copied and pased a few from top goal scorer charts, I know Osimhen unlikely.

Nkunku and Osimhen are a definite no.

Nkunku (although I’d love to have him at Villa) still has his agreement with Chelsea but wants CL regardless and Napoli are demanding £130 million for Osimhen.

36 minutes ago, useless said:

My confirmed wishlist

Nico Williams
Luiz Henrique
Ibrahima Bamba
Lee Kang-in
Takefusa Kubo
Matteo Guendouzi
Habib Diarra
Christopher Nkunku
Marco Asensio
Samuel Chukwueze
Jonathan David
Dusan Vlahovic
Victor Osimhen
Boulaye Dia

In terms of RB I saw this yesterday and thought it could be us too…

4 hours ago, thunderball said:

He's much more than a DCM, I think he is a generally a fairly dynamic midfielder who excels defensively. He would certainly be a coup and next level player  if we did. As a 22.y.o. you could sign on a 6 year deal and amortise the fee quite comfortably.

I would suggest this is the pond we are fishing in now (at least for one or two players), but I cant see us laying any more for players unless we get CL.

I know he is a good player I just don't see us dropping 50 million on a DCM

1 hour ago, RicRic said:

Mcginn no and ramsey no not really , buendia and bailey yes , the latter two should be getting 11 goals each in those areas to boost us into that Top 5 , so now we need to go and get the players that can and just to touch on the latest reports im not keen on harvey barnes , he would be a great bench option however 👍🏽

Buendia and Bailey are playing the same position...... I wouldn't expect 22 goals from that one position.