Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

14 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Exactly, we have kept players under much worse circumstances.

We will now, undoubtedly be in the strongest position we have ever been in over a decade.

Everything ranging from owners, through to finances, Management and progress.

I have a feeling that some players would more likely be fighting to stay than the other way round.

Yeah we're at our highest peak since the 6th placed MON finishes, probs the season we were flirting with 4th for a long time. Although I would say the difference is that the outisde football world will hold both the owners and Unai in higher regard than Randy and MON.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

Ok we disagree, I think we are a way off going on huge spending sprees on PL players and it doesn't represent the best value for the club where we are at right now, we'll see what the clubs view is come the summer.

Agree we disagree 😂 by the way I’m not saying we are going on huge spending spree just if an opportunity arose or Emery wanted a certain player we could buy a PL player…a Smith Rowe, Maddison, Johnson, Mount or whoever.  I’m not advocating for any of these players but I could easily see a spend on one of these type of players and then several foreign talents and still not have a “huge” spending spree by current PL standards.

As for best value for the club, that’s such a subjective term…a 22 year old Smith Rowe for £50m could, based on shown talent before injury, be our star for the next ten years, knows he can do it in the PL at the top end and if we sold him before that would have significant market value whereas Kang-In for £18m is the same age, not played in PL and would be lost to military service for two years within 5.5 years.  On pure best value for the club then it’s cheapness upfront compared to less risk and longevity, so best value isn’t always about how cheap a fee is.  

Yep this all speculation though and we’ll have to wait until the summer to see what the club do.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Yeah we're at our highest peak since the 6th placed MON finishes, probs the season we were flirting with 4th for a long time. Although I would say the difference is that the outisde football world will hold both the owners and Unai in higher regard than Randy and MON.

As long as I have been following Villa consistency has been an issue. In my opinion the mid 90s were better than the MON years but even the year we finished fourth and the classic examples were 97-98 and 98-99 which were basically seasons of two halves! 

I have a believe that Unai can deliver consistently and this excites me more than it should!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

As long as I have been following Villa consistency has been an issue. In my opinion the mid 90s were better than the MON years but even the year we finished fourth and the classic examples were 97-98 and 98-99 which were basically seasons of two halves! 

I have a believe that Unai can deliver consistently and this excites me more than it should!

yep 90s were better, 89 nearly winning the title, then cups in the 90s was better than MON deffo (as was the football BFR, Little and Gregory had us playing nice stuff)

6 hours ago, Enda said:

I’d like a new right back to compete with Matthew Cashew. I don’t think Ashley Young has another year in him. Wan-Bissaka fits the bill but might cost a lot.

People will go nuts if that happens 

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, brummybloke said:

We are 7th highest player wages in the league, unfortunately giving digne that wage has set our wage structure all over the place. Can't see watkins not wanting at least the same. Then other contracts, again they will be looking and wanting the same.

Are we? Where have you seen that figure?

16 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Difference being with the 90s of course is now the wider football world and our squad know our owners mean business, unlike Herbert.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

How long until people realise since NWSE took over 99% of Villa transfer rumours are bollocks

7 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

When are people going to get over the fact no top team plays 2 CFs up top any more.

6 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Might as well sign a blue nose Maddison hates Villa that much. The guy goes missing for stretches every season. I figure people on here that suggest him don't follow his form enough via FPL etc. 

I knew kiwis were small and round and hairy but I never knew they were miserable all the time.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, burchy said:

You had me until this bit ….

Gk - Martinez, OLSEN, Sinisalo

We have Martinez to play in goal. Obviously if we can get an upgrade on Olsen we will make a change but he's not a priority to upgrade. I'm looking for first team upgrades. On his wages he will be hard to offload. He may become our third choice keeper before then.

We should really be looking at Spain, Portugal, and Italy for players.  Italy in particular is an untapped gold mine of talent right now.  5 teams in Champions League/Europa League/Conference League semifinals and that doesn't include the 2 teams at the top of the table (Napoli & Lazio).  

8 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

When are people going to get over the fact no top team plays 2 CFs up top any more.

We're not spending big money on a player like Thuram and play together with Watkins. 

Brighton flying this season with only Welbeck(barely used) and Ferguson( Archer equivalent) and using attacking mids up front a lot of the season (Trossard who did same role at Arsenal before Jesus back)

I could wax on about other top teams that don't play 2 CFs or even have back up CF 

People can say Emery said striker is priority but I'd put money on it being attacking mid that play across front 3 upgrade on Bailey not a CF type. Plus Archer maybe used if playing more comps. 

Firstly, we need another player who can rotate with Watkins. Just like Ings did. Was anybody complaining that we had too many strikers when Ings was here? Secondly, how many times has Unai brought Duran on to play alongside Watkins this season? He doesn't always replace him, does he? I am not sure that Duran AND Archer will be in the first team next season. One may go out on loan. Also, Thuram would be a free signing.

19 minutes ago, Monkeypuzzle said:

We have Martinez to play in goal. Obviously if we can get an upgrade on Olsen we will make a change but he's not a priority to upgrade. I'm looking for first team upgrades. On his wages he will be hard to offload. He may become our third choice keeper before then.

Let him do whatever he wants but don't let's have him on the bench or near the squad. He could do some landscaping at bodymoor heath maybe, or take up tennis?

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Agree we disagree 😂 by the way I’m not saying we are going on huge spending spree just if an opportunity arose or Emery wanted a certain player we could buy a PL player…a Smith Rowe, Maddison, Johnson, Mount or whoever.  I’m not advocating for any of these players but I could easily see a spend on one of these type of players and then several foreign talents and still not have a “huge” spending spree by current PL standards.

As for best value for the club, that’s such a subjective term…a 22 year old Smith Rowe for £50m could, based on shown talent before injury, be our star for the next ten years, knows he can do it in the PL at the top end and if we sold him before that would have significant market value whereas Kang-In for £18m is the same age, not played in PL and would be lost to military service for two years within 5.5 years.  On pure best value for the club then it’s cheapness upfront compared to less risk and longevity, so best value isn’t always about how cheap a fee is.  

Yep this all speculation though and we’ll have to wait until the summer to see what the club do.

Initially when I heard the military service thing I was put off....

However it has been suggested a professional athlete can defer military service until aged 38 years.

Kang-In looks decent, can play in a variety of positions across the front three.

Same age as Smith-Rowe, yet more caps for his National side and he's cheaper.

3 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Let him do whatever he wants but don't let's have him on the bench or near the squad. He could do some landscaping at bodymoor heath maybe, or take up tennis?

Last match we had 4 keepers in the match day squad. He's gonna be in the team even at third place.

8 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

We're not spending big money on a player like Thuram and play together with Watkins. 

Brighton flying this season with only Welbeck(barely used) and Ferguson( Archer equivalent) and using attacking mids up front a lot of the season (Trossard who did same role at Arsenal before Jesus back)

I could wax on about other top teams that don't play 2 CFs or even have back up CF 

People can say Emery said striker is priority but I'd put money on it being attacking mid that play across front 3 upgrade on Bailey not a CF type. Plus Archer maybe used if playing more comps. 

When Emery arrived initially, he said he wanted another striker.  I wonder has the impact Watkins is having maybe going to reassess that view for Emery in the summer? I don't think any of us could have predicted that Watkins would start playing the way he is.  

We might shift our focus to someone to partner Watkins, not an out and out striker but more of a goal scoring wide player, think Mo Salah.

• Like 1

We are 6th lowest net spend this season in the league but our wages are still pretty high.

When looking through the Spanish, French, German, Portuguese and Italian leagues, unless you are a Superstar, wages are massively cheaper than the uk.

Same goes for anywhere else in the world.

Prices in the UK for some players are mental, neco Williams for instance, 20m ? 

Southampton spent 35 million on 4 man city under 21s 

Gibbs-white 25 million plus

And these players will be on 40k pw minimum and their wages will only go up

Then look at the players signed not as superstars from abroad

Mitoma on half the wages of Billy Gilmour !!

Most of the lower paid wages at each club are the imports that are not signed as the superstars and the higher wages are the big players or English to English transfers.

Unromantic it maybe but we can't afford to be signing more than 2 or 3 players extra on 120k contracts and pay large fees unless we off load digne, bailey and possibly phil as players on that sort of money need to be nailed on starters.

Southampton if they go down will be in huge trouble, same as Everton and wolves  due to their wages being so stupidly high compared to revenue.

A boring balancing act that makes buying premier league players a risky business in the majority of cases, it's only when there is a disgruntled player wanting out, free transfer or signing a player from one of the relegated teams or a team with a more rigid pay structure makes it more realistic.

Which is why I don't personally feel we will be signing the likes of Phillips maddison mount and so on unless our revenue increases massively or we move some players on.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Monkeypuzzle said:

Last match we had 4 keepers in the match day squad. He's gonna be in the team even at third place.

If we need an Olsen, can we not have this one instead

1942EC9E-FF22-4BE3-918C-07166C824B3A.jpeg.59038f87ffe4ddbb28dc8aee58c6c36a.jpeg

• Like 2