World Cup: Matches

Genie

1 minute ago, Django_Zooms said:

Man Utd and Germany doing badly brings me such joy.

Germany don’t bother me. They’re not really a threat anymore in football terms and I don’t really see any rivalry with them because of events a generation ago. They also don’t seem to hate us like so many other nations. 

6 minutes ago, Django_Zooms said:

There have been far more close results than 2018. Why? 1) First mid-season World Cup, 2) Every team is far better coached on tactics & fitness & nutrition than ever before & 3) Performance data is much more advanced than the days when players would join fans in the bar after matches & 4) VAR reduces officiating errors, but also goal quantities.

5) teams are more cautious

Seems to change every other world cup, not sure why, Brazil everyone just went for it and threw people forward

Not sure if the group dynamics and final round of games has caused teams to lean more on not losing, I'm sure there's a stat for that too, half way through round 2 and only one team with 6 points (France) and I think 2 teams knocked out, will be a lot to play for in round 3 which is all most teams would hope for

4 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Germany don’t bother me. They’re not really a threat anymore in football terms and I don’t really see any rivalry with them because of events a generation ago. They also don’t seem to hate us like so many other nations. 

Trust me they don't care and don't really understand the rivalry, it's a bit Coventry fans and villa

Also agree that theyre not really a threat, said last week after Japan this game would suit them more because of how Spain play, teams that play quick and wide vs them can slaughter them, England (if Southgate did his job properly...) and especially France would batter this German team

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Either, you do not support England or you must be too young to have lived through 1970 & 1990 & 1996 & 2010.

28 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

5) teams are more cautious

Seems to change every other world cup, not sure why, Brazil everyone just went for it and threw people forward

Not sure if the group dynamics and final round of games has caused teams to lean more on not losing, I'm sure there's a stat for that too, half way through round 2 and only one team with 6 points (France) and I think 2 teams knocked out, will be a lot to play for in round 3 which is all most teams would hope for

Nope. That has always been the case.

1 minute ago, Django_Zooms said:

Either, you do not support England or you must be too young to have lived through 1970 & 1990 & 1996 & 2010.

Yeah we've played them a lot in big games and we've lost

Doesn't make them rivals

Rather than saying its like Coventry fans vs villa it's like man City and Liverpool where sky keep trying to lable it a Derby game just because its a big game, it's not

Holland are Germany rivals, a little bit of Poland and then maybe interestingly because its a similar reason to us ze germans consider their big historic games to be vs Italy

5 minutes ago, Django_Zooms said:

Or maybe the rivalry against Germany only survives for older generations.