World Cup: Matches

Genie

Just now, VillaParkAvenue said:

Croatia v Morocco would be the least attractive final so I guess that’s what it’ll be. A repeat of the group game, which of course ended 0-0.

I admire it. Two excellent teams not individuals, Morocco are particularly well coached and it's enjoyable in a way to watch them defend. I don't think so though, it's Messi's year.

Chin up guys! We didn't do too badly 

60 years of hurts. But I still believe. We will win it next time.

We have great talents like TAA, Saka, Bellingham, Foden, Rice, James, Ramsey, Philogene Bigace, Feeney, Archer, Jed Steer & Kienan Davis to name a few. And will be many more in 4 years time that will burst onto the scene. 

Hopefully Messi can go on to win this World Cup now and stop the overated French side.

• Haha 1

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

I feel like you were watching a different game. I don't recognise this description of 'England's tactics were trying to win free kicks' that you keep making. We played well! It's not like we created dozens of chances, but then we were playing France, not Iran. 

It's been a staple throughout Southgate's tenure. It's a reason Maguire starts every game despite being in horrendous form for his club. It's something the players have said they work on a lot. 

The closest England got to a goal today apart from the penalties was a Maguire header from a set piece. It's been the story of the tournament, really. England play the kind of football that got Steven Gerrard sacked from our club.

At least you could say Southgate recognizes that set pieces are a viable strategy. It's just kind of baffling that Maddison hasn't played a single minute if that's the case. Or that the player with the most uncanny ability to win free kicks likely in the history of English football didn't come on until 90+7 minites. Or indeed that JWP wasn't on the plane. These are all valid questions, hardly worthy of ridicule.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I'd take him over big nose every day of the week. 

Whoa, you're telling me that you'd pick the guy that won silverware at Porto, Chelsea, Real Madrid, Inter Milan, Man United and Roma over the guy that got Middlesbrough relegated?

Madness.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, VillaAlex said:

I admire it. Two excellent teams not individuals, Morocco are particularly well coached and it's enjoyable in a way to watch them defend. I don't think so though, it's Messi's year.

Yeah Croatia are like they say about cockroaches, the only ones to survive a nuclear war etc. And Modric will always spark to life for a World Cup.

27 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

It's been a staple throughout Southgate's tenure. It's a reason Maguire starts every game despite being in horrendous form for his club. It's something the players have said they work on a lot. 

The closest England got to a goal today apart from the penalties was a Maguire header from a set piece. It's been the story of the tournament, really. England play the kind of football that got Steven Gerrard sacked from our club.

At least you could say Southgate recognizes that set pieces are a viable strategy. It's just kind of baffling that Maddison hasn't played a single minute if that's the case. Or that the player with the most uncanny ability to win free kicks likely in the history of English football didn't come on until 90+7 minites. Or indeed that JWP wasn't on the plane. These are all valid questions, hardly worthy of ridicule.

You go into a World Cup to win it. At least England with this array of talent do. We played well, what an achievement. 

30 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Strongly disagree with this analysis.

For once it’s hard to really see much wrong with Southgate’s decision making, besides probably telling the players to be too passive with their pressing and passing in the first half.

It’s delusional to think Maddison or Grealish would have made the difference here.

Just now, KentVillan said:

Strongly disagree with this analysis.

For once it’s hard to really see much wrong with Southgate’s decision making, besides probably telling the players to be too passive with their pressing and passing in the first half.

It’s delusional to think Maddison or Grealish would have made the difference here.

If that's delusional, what do you call bringing on Mount then. What's the thinking behind that?

I've said it earlier, I don't even agree with the line of thinking of playing for set pieces anyway. I'm saying if that's what we're working with, those substitutions seem like no brainers. Even still, it's hardly going to guarantee a goal, but you want to give yourself the best chance.

We lost because a bit of luck didn’t go our way and we didn’t execute in key moments.

I think France’s first goal should have been saved. And it was an obvious foul on Saka in the build up.

Clear pen on Kane not given (assuming it was in the box?)

Agree bringing Sterling on was odd, especially as Saka was causing them huge problems.

I think we were too passive and cautious, but ultimately just one of those days. Could easily have gone our way and everyone is lauding Southgate as a genius for neutralising Mbappe.

Whatever. Hope France get beat by Morocco and we get some good footage of Mbappe crying

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

If that's delusional, what do you call bringing on Mount then. What's the thinking behind that?

I've said it earlier, I don't even agree with the line of thinking of playing for set pieces anyway. I'm saying if that's what we're working with, those substitutions seem like no brainers. Even still, it's hardly going to guarantee a goal, but you want to give yourself the best chance.

Mount who won the penalty?

I don’t think we were playing for set pieces anyway, it’s literally just a normal feature of football that you try to win fouls etc. People have lost the plot.

• Like 1

Just now, KentVillan said:

Mount who won the penalty?

I don’t think we were playing for set pieces anyway, it’s literally just a normal feature of football that you try to win fouls etc. People have lost the plot.

The logic for bringing on Mount was to win a penalty? Not sure what the relevance is there. I'd say "won" is also doing a lot of heavy lifting in that sentence. It was a moment of utter madness from Hernandez.

Honestly I don't know how you could watch England since Southgate took over and not see that they put an emphasis on set pieces. It's one of the most (only?) identifiable things about his side.

Perhaps they aren't playing for them the way Tony Pulis teams used to, but it's their main attacking threat. Whether that's by design or due to a lack of other ideas is hard to say.