Unai Emery

PeterSw

The melt down on here about Unai by some posters is truly remarkable.

UE is the best manager this club has had in donkey's years.

But, as with any manager, does he get everything right? no of course not. We have come so far in such a short time with a smallish squad. It's quite remarkable to be where we are.

He's been here in just over a year and we've had a fantastic year of watching good football, great results etc and now we find ourselves in the top 6. We could only have dreamt that at the start of the season.

Arguably with the players, squad, injuries etc we are, and have been, punching above our weight to get where we are.

I can only assume that some of the comments on here are borne from frustration, a lack of football knowledge or just trolling for effect.

What UE has achieved in the time he's been here is nothing short of fantastic. 

In my opinion, this level of form is just a short term blip. We were not bad today, far from it. If we'd have come away with a draw people on here would have been playing a different tune. Our decision making in the final third was poor today, It's the fine margins.

We are still in a terrific position and between now and the end of the season we will win a lot more matches than we lose. 

UE was appointed on the 24th Oct 2023......he needs far more time, more transfer windows to change personnel. Yes it's frustrating of course it is, but stick with him, back him and we'll be fine.

Keep the faith.....UTV

• Like 2

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

37 minutes ago, imavillan said:

The melt down on here about Unai by some posters is truly remarkable.

UE is the best manager this club has had in donkey's years.

But, as with any manager, does he get everything right? no of course not. We have come so far in such a short time with a smallish squad. It's quite remarkable to be where we are.

He's been here in just over a year and we've had a fantastic year of watching good football, great results etc and now we find ourselves in the top 6. We could only have dreamt that at the start of the season.

Arguably with the players, squad, injuries etc we are, and have been, punching above our weight to get where we are.

I can only assume that some of the comments on here are borne from frustration, a lack of football knowledge or just trolling for effect.

What UE has achieved in the time he's been here is nothing short of fantastic. 

In my opinion, this level of form is just a short term blip. We were not bad today, far from it. If we'd have come away with a draw people on here would have been playing a different tune. Our decision making in the final third was poor today, It's the fine margins.

We are still in a terrific position and between now and the end of the season we will win a lot more matches than we lose. 

UE was appointed on the 24th Oct 2023......he needs far more time, more transfer windows to change personnel. Yes it's frustrating of course it is, but stick with him, back him and we'll be fine.

Keep the faith.....UTV

The kicker with this is that even if he wanted to get everything right, he has limited means to do so…

Hes doing so, so well with what was left to him from previous managers… we’ve had some nasty injuries to key players and we have punched well above our weight…

Hes had 3 transfer windows now and it’s clear that he doesn’t want to spend money for the sake of it to make up numbers… He has actively wanted to sign players who will be a valuable asset to the team… and id say, considering who he has brought in, that he has done that very very well…

The days of Sylla, Beye and Holman are long gone…

• Like 3

Waking up after yesterday with a sense of disappointment, but that shows how far we've come under Emery.

We have a thin squad, which was always going to get found out through injuries at some point. 

We played Man U off the park yesterday, created more good chances and half chances, but didn't take them. 

Does Emery get everything right - no. But he doesn't get much wrong. I would have left Bailey on, but this would have left us with a Bruce style (play off final defeat) 4 2 4 Emery won't do this. His rigid formation has got us discussing Champions League, and European trophies.

In terms of the team selection, on why isn't Chambers starting ahead of Lenglet, thats quite clear to anyone who has seen him play.

For those questioning him, and we are allowed to, is there another manager who would have done better with this squad of players? If we are being honest, how many of our first team go to Arsenal, Liverpool, Man City?

Martinez , Luiz? (Who I think will go to Man City in the Summer).

Is he the best manager we've had in decades imo Yes. Perfect -no but who is.

3 minutes ago, Stratvillan said:

In terms of the team selection, on why isn't Chambers starting ahead of Lenglet, thats quite clear to anyone who has seen him play.

Have people mentioned that? Emery plays left footed at LCB and Chambers is right footed so not happening unless drastic injuries

Good and fair article on Unai Emery in my opinion: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2024/02/11/aston-villa-lose-unai-emery-manchester-united/

The bit about our January business is particularly apt: With no disrespect meant to recent recruit Morgan Rogers, it seems unlikely that, but for fiscal restrictions, a Champions League chasing outfit would limit their January business to a Championship acquisition.

You could say the same about other clubs I suppose, but given our injuries and small squad it will definitely affect us more than say a Man United or Chelsea. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Good and fair article on Unai Emery in my opinion: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2024/02/11/aston-villa-lose-unai-emery-manchester-united/

The bit about our January business is particularly apt: With no disrespect meant to recent recruit Morgan Rogers, it seems unlikely that, but for fiscal restrictions, a Champions League chasing outfit would limit their January business to a Championship acquisition.

You could say the same about other clubs I suppose, but given our injuries and small squad it will definitely affect us more than say a Man United or Chelsea. 

Have stated exactly that several times on here yet been slapped with the FFP argument. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Have people mentioned that? Emery plays left footed at LCB and Chambers is right footed so not happening unless drastic injuries

POssibly the more obvious reason is Lenglet is far better than Chambers and Chambers is unable to play the way Emery wants his CBs to play

• Like 1

'Emery's struggles in the second half of the season'

Why does the article ignore the second half of last season, where we finished really strong? We played 25 games under Emery last season, and the last 12 were 8 wins, 2 draws, 2 losses.

3 hours ago, villa89 said:

It sent out the wrong signal to the players that we were settling for 1-1. 

Leon looked out of gas to me in the minute or two before he came off, and I think that's why he was pulled. And he didn't seem annoyed about it when he came off. I'm pretty sure it was sound reasoning by Emery.

8 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Thats basically 9 starters out at some point through the season, that's bonkers and I can't remember it happening before

Yeah it's horrendous. Feel like it's been masked somewhat because they've not all been out at once (therefore we haven't had to start any kids) but it still has just as devastating an effect, if not more so.

3 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Yeah it's horrendous. Feel like it's been masked somewhat because they've not all been out at once (therefore we haven't had to start any kids) but it still has just as devastating an effect, if not more so.

I literally only realised how bad it is when seeing the names written down. How we are even in 5th is a miracle, now we have to think about Europe too

This is a very unfortunate set of circumstances for Unai to face.....but looking on the bright side, it might make him look in other areas, to maintain Momentum. I might force a rethink.

sometimes, adversity, brings inspiration.

• Like 1

I'd actually go as far as to say that with the injuries we've had this season, not just the number and severity but also how they've been spread out, almost any other manager would probably struggle to have us top 10 right now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HKP90 said:

Almost our entire defensive and defensive midfield units. 

Jesus, man. The universe just can't let us have nice things.

We have Unai at least 😆

Â