Unai Emery

PeterSw

11 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I actually do. I got an inside line. He's been chatting with them about the charms of the Basque coastline. It's quite lovely, really.  I suppose Professor Unai probably better get back to talking about football again, but can you blame him for taking a little break? I mean, it's sort of a lot of work, this Premier League thing. Personally, I can totally imagine John McGinn being mesmerised by "Euskadi" and having a bit of "Biscay-style" cod. Mmm mmm.

spacer.png

00:20

• Like 1

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, juanpablosaliceband said:

We can’t start using tiredness as an excuse already. We have had a good break since Christmas. The squad has been well rotated all season. We may not have huge quality in depth but we do have depth and numbers. Most players have had time out with a combination of injury, suspension or squad rotation. Konsa, Luiz, McGinn, Kamara and Watkins are probably our most used players. Konsa now has a good break. Luiz had a short suspension. Kamara had a long suspension. None of them play international games other than McGinn. The rest of our squad should have a full tank of fuel. I’d be surprised if any of our players have played significantly more minutes than any of the top six, in spite of their deeper squads. 

4 matches in 13 days, and McGinn / Luiz / Kamara have started all of them, and either played full 90 or been subbed late in 2nd half.

I don't think our rivals are doing that with their entire central midfield? You'd want to be rotating players in, but we simply don't have the depth.

Tiredness is a natural consequence of that, professional footballers aren't superhuman.

And I don't think any of this is on Unai really. Maybe he could have hauled a couple of players off earlier against Shef Utd. But mostly his selections make sense, given who's available.

Edited by KentVillan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Disgusted? I’m regularly disgusted by your comments to be frank…

So he has to be transparent and open to the media? That’s the most important thing?

How do you know he isn’t unhappy/upset and hasn’t criticised or shown his anger to the players in the dressing room or behind the scenes? You know… where it actually matters?

Airing your grievances and making foolish and petulant comments in public and in the media (who twist and exaggerate almost everything) shows a real lack of class and ability… I’m glad he has never done that… he’s way too good for that kind of crap. And what kind of benefit would that bring? It’s the kind of thing that inept and under pressure managers do… no thanks.

Is upsetting and embarrassing the players and destroying team unity and spirit actually something that is worthwhile and helpful? I think not…

How you can accuse him of lacking passion and not being disgusted or appalled by poor performances (how would you know?) is probably typical of the theme of your posts on the main… overly negative and completely unreasonable…

I couldn’t care less about your comments either to be frank. 

As clearly stated in my post I don’t know what he has said to the players. My comments were mainly about his post match interviews. 

For example would you call Ferguson inept?

There are times when a manager has to out his team and players for consistently underperforming. That has been evident throughout the history of football.

I also felt his decision not to make changes at half time after such a poor first half was scandalous. He then made two substitutions and waited until the 80th minute to make two more when the game was gone.

You seem to be adverse to anything critical of the manager or players. That’s fine but more than a little naive. 

I call it as I see it including Luiz but I won’t stop posting my opinion due to annoying you.

On 06/02/2024 at 20:02, burchy said:

He’s so intense, me likey. 

He’ll have them fired up for Chelsea

do you want another go?......just kidding.

10 minutes ago, striker said:

As clearly stated in my post I don’t know what he has said to the players. My comments were mainly about his post match interviews. 

There are times when a manager has to out his team and players for consistently underperforming. That has been evident throughout the history of football.

I also felt his decision not to make changes at half time after such a poor first half was scandalous. He then made two substitutions and waited until the 80th minute to make two more when the game was gone.

You seem to be adverse to anything critical of the manager or players. That’s fine but more than a little naive. 

I call it as I see it including Luiz but I won’t stop posting my opinion due to annoying you.

Ferguson mostly criticised his players behind closed doors. He rarely called them out in media interviews.

Post match interviews mean f all really. The players know they’ve stunk the place out, I don’t see any signs of comfort or complacency - just bad, tired performances. What does Unai gain from saying that?

7 minutes ago, striker said:

It’s hard to take you seriously when you use terms such as disgust and scandalous… you’re either constantly trolling, trying to provoke reactions or enjoying spouting negativity… almost as if you have some kind of agenda…

I’m not averse to constructive criticism of him or the players (I’ve done it) but he has earned and deserves plenty of support, faith and belief rather than inflammatory or petty remarks or over reactions…

I’m not on board with turning on the manager or players after occasional poor performances and results (especially when several/all factors are taken into  account) when we have a heap of positive ones to reflect on… that doesn’t represent support imo…

Carry on… but if you keep posting exaggerated and excessively negative stuff… don’t be shocked and offended when you’re called out for it.

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

We won't finish 6th

Neither do I - personally if I had to bet I'd bet on 5th, but 6th isn't out of the realms of the possibility and as I said I think a vocal minority will turn on Emery if that happens.

Not sure if anyone else has said this, apologies if so, I know we played poorly in the first half last night and also against the toon, but I can’t help but feel the timing of both third goals was crucial and literally knocked the stuffing out of us, along with any hope of getting back into both games.

8 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Neither do I - personally if I had to bet I'd bet on 5th, but 6th isn't out of the realms of the possibility and as I said I think a vocal minority will turn on Emery if that happens.

It’s possible but very unlikely

8 minutes ago, striker said:

Its very frustrating, right now, and many opinions are being aired, and we all think we are right.

UE face during that game was thunder, and I would be suprised, in private if he wasn't furious.....but in all fairness, He has a small squad of quality, and most of them have served him well, all season......some are struggling for form, but I also think some of your observations over the months have merit.

I also agree, that UE is not a miracle worker, but his record so far, has to be revered, and we can all call upon so many aspects of his stewardship, that is impressive.

Personally, I think the midfield, in particular, has dipped, and only in certain aspects of play, some aspects they are still really good.

I have to ask myself.....How many players in our squad, are dedicatedly equipped to stop opposing players from marauding through our midfield?.....how many are so fired up, to stop them at all costs?......I have to say, most of the squad has a tendency to want to attack, and that is present all over the squad......We have lost the ability to stop opposing teams from attacking us......I don't know how Unai changes that, in the short term.

I do think he is aware, which is born out of 2 Athletic types of Full Backs, being brought in.....but thats for the future....FFP does have us hamstrung for oven ready versions.

I do think Unai, deserves our trust, to get it right, I'm just not sure, through circumstances, that it will be a quick fix.

I do think, we have been too attacking minded, in our recruitment, for some time, and way before Unai.....How many times do we turn the ball over in the 3rd quadrant, but that is a part of the creativity, we don't do that often.....Folk talk about creativity, like its a gift, from opposition standing off, and tickling our bellies......We have to learn to fight for the ball, and win it, not go to ground, looking for a foul......We need some power, to go with the talent.

I think Unai, has a tough job, quite frankly.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

4 matches in 13 days, and McGinn / Luiz / Kamara have started all of them, and either played full 90 or been subbed late in 2nd half.

I don't think our rivals are doing that with their entire central midfield? You'd want to be rotating players in, but we simply don't have the depth.

Tiredness is a natural consequence of that, professional footballers aren't superhuman.

And I don't think any of this is on Unai really. Maybe he could have hauled a couple of players off earlier against Shef Utd. But mostly his selections make sense, given who's available.

Lets just say, hypothetically.....He wanted to go all defensive, for a few games....Who has he got, available, that he could call on to do just that?

How many players, have we got, that you could honestly say, defender first, attacker second.....We know, today, we expect players to do both, but its clear, the attackers have a prime function and its nice if they can add a bit of defensive duty....but I reiterate, how many are defender first?

Even Pau is looked upon for his playing out, first, not his defensive qualities.

I just find it an interesting question, I was asked.

28 minutes ago, striker said:

Now come on, guys. How can anyone not care about comments from @Jas10? He regularly wins the FA Cup of comments popularity on VT. He's just so amazingly ... Villa Happy. 😉

giphy.gif

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, tinker said:

4th, Reading some of the comments on here, without knowing that, you would think we was in a relegation battle, its hilarious 😂 

Not at all.

You would think we are going to miss out on a CL place, something we may never have the chance of again. An as fans, we are feeling the pressure of being one of the big boys, nothing wrong with that at all.

We don't all fit in one box, we all have different personalities and atitudes, an all feel differently about our club and postion, which people sometimes forget on here.  For example, some will be happy with the plain Jane, an some will go for the hottie, even knowing she maybe way out of our league.

10 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Not at all.

You would think we are going to miss out on a CL place, something we may never have the chance of again. An as fans, we are feeling the pressure of being one of the big boys, nothing wrong with that at all.

We don't all fit in one box, we all have different personalities and atitudes, an all feel differently about our club and postion, which people sometimes forget on here.  For example, some will be happy with the plain Jane, an some will go for the hottie, even knowing she maybe way out of our league.

Let me guess, you go for the hotties while everyone else is happy with plain Jane 🤣

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Lets just say, hypothetically.....He wanted to go all defensive, for a few games....Who has he got, available, that he could call on to do just that?

How many players, have we got, that you could honestly say, defender first, attacker second.....We know, today, we expect players to do both, but its clear, the attackers have a prime function and its nice if they can add a bit of defensive duty....but I reiterate, how many are defender first?

Even Pau is looked upon for his playing out, first, not his defensive qualities.

I just find it an interesting question, I was asked.

Mings, Konsa, Kamara, possibly Digne

You’re right, but arguably this is a squad depth issue rather than a transfer policy issue. 

The very best managers have a plan b when things aren't working..........I want to see if Unai can change things as we haven't played well since Arsenal and Sheffield Utd didn't really give us a game.

1 hour ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Now come on, guys. How can anyone not care about comments from @Jas10? He regularly wins the FA Cup of comments popularity on VT. He's just so amazingly ... Villa Happy. 😉

giphy.gif

We can all win the day when we post 1,437 times a day 😏

• Haha 3

Â