Unai Emery

PeterSw

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, Woody1000 said:

While I think I agree with most of what you say, I have one question… is 23 ellipses in one post a personal best?

I don't understand why it happens...?

(See what I did there?)

Edited by Don_Simon
  • Haha 1

On 02/02/2024 at 20:37, Jas10 said:

We can obviously highlight flaws or mistakes and criticise appropriately (no one is perfect) and identify areas for improvement but there’s no need or even justification to believe or state that we will fall apart or slide down the table either… basically, not repeat behaviour or comments of the past where, ok maybe a small minority, start slating the manager and believing we are doomed or cursed…

There’s no one better equipped and more knowledgeable or capable of addressing any issues we may have… that’s mainly what I’m pointing at. I want to embrace this era and fully back and endorse this manager because I have full faith and trust in him… I mean, it was kind of an unlikely or unexpected appointment too… I’m sure many thought “how have they got him?”…

To repeat myself again… the fact that he has overcome challenges and adversity such as major injuries to key players and yet got us battling at the right end of the table… is remarkable… that is “over achieving” but not in the sense that it’s unsustainable or unlikely… I’m pointing to the fact that, at long last, we have a truly elite coach and manager at the club… we don’t need to be restless, negative, moaning and groaning etc. etc.

Just imagine if none of those players had got injured… how strong and impressive would we be looking now??? 😮

In no way do I mean to have a go at you or dredge up old stuff, but (as an example) you’ve been supportive of far inferior men in the past… and they didn’t deserve that kind of support tbh - the criticism was fully justified and they were sent on their way… they didn’t have the capability, nous or skill to deal with many problems… and they wilted under the pressure…

Unai has already overcome such difficulties or conundrums… and he will do it again, many times…

He is a class apart and we’re bloody luck to have him!

He just won’t stand for mediocrity and decline (like some arguably did)… the demands and ambitions are high… but it was never going to be a smooth ride…

He has exceeded all expectation… so let’s not be too critical when we have a minor blip… it’s no more than that imo and… it will be addressed…

Just the way I feel and see it… not aimed at or a direct response to you… I just want to take a more relaxed approach and enjoy the experience, to enjoy this era without being unfair or unnecessarily disgruntled - like a spoilt brat…

Rightly or wrongly, its is not an accurate response to how I feel.....Firstly, nowhere in my post did I aim a criticism at the manager.....and in all my posts, I have revered him more than any previous manager.....my support of SB is usually a false narrative, for a few reasons, he was struggling with family grief when, I upped my support of him, and I still abhor cabbagegate, and never want to see it again, against any of our managers.....We today , are still enjoying his signing of our capatin, so It was always perspective with me....He was never going to be the success we was looking for, but the state we was in, he stopped the rot of haemorraging goals.....There is no sensible comparison between SB and UE, but I equally think its unhelpful for folk to keep going back to previous managers, for solace in difficult times.....None of them was good enough, or up to the standard of Unai.....but it would be dismissive to think they never contributed anything.....they all have signings playing in our first team today.

My comments, right now, are aimed at the drop in the football, we are producing, not the whole season, that must be acknowledged.....I am not as sure as some, that the injuries are as damning as others may think, other teams still doing ok  with many injuries like Newcastle, and Spurs, have weathered the storm, and dug deep.....but that does not make me right either, its just a suspicion, based on what I see in matches.

FWIW..I suspect our team, is learning how to dine at the top table.....Expectancy, leading to pressure, bears down, on being in those positions....the other teams there are battle hardened to it....its new to us. I see very good players of ours, playing within themselves and I am not suggesting, they are not trying, because I think they are.....but for whatever reason, they are not producing their early season form, and for it to drift in after our best ever week in football, where confidence should be sky high, and time off should have us fit.....suggests to me its expectation and pressure, is getting to them.....this must be said, its an observation not a criticism......Personally, I was in grave doubt of top 4, so I am not writing this with being miffed.....I felt 5th or 6th, would be a great season and still do.

back to Unai....In none of my posts, have I criticised him, and nor will I, because I too like you, Believe in him, overall, even if he gets things awry ( imv) on the odd occasion.

We simply cannot win every game, but the ones we struggle in, can be called out, and discussed sensibly without a huge defence of the game, and a speedy reference to what we have done so far.....I would suspect, every arbiter, would concede, we have had a great season so far....but games are games and can be discussed sensibly in isolation of the season, without an inuendo of ungratefulness.

I write the way I do, not to denounce the team, but to eek out, other opinions as to why we may have just dipped from our early season form....its pure opinions, because no one really knows....I have strong suspicions, but thats all they are.

I have as much confidence as you have, that he will sort it out, like many, I was rather hoping, all the good work so far, will not dissipate and we can get back on track to a strong finish like we did last season.

I am also encouraged, but the signings of a more "athletic "profile of these young players and you know, how I have been itching for some loftier players in certain positions.....well he has ticked that box for me, too.

Jas....I don't want to pee on anyones chips, and for sure, my partisan head is always on at VP, where i still sing, at my age,  even in the Doug Ellis with the old uns.....but my love for Villa, with not trump, my understanding of what I see, and my interpretation of it, many Podcasters have similar views to me, and their Love for Villa, can't be challenged with their committment.

Negativity and pessimism, is too easily taken off the shelf, when the true narrative is reporting what you see, in a game....I would be amazed if Unai, didn't resort to a bit of that, in getting his point across after, poor results. I am not advocating labouring it, because positivity does have to resume quickly.

UTV

Edited by TRO
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, Jas10 said:

The simplest way I can possibly put it:

Why are we fretting?

Unai will sort it.

when he does we will rejoice again.....its reaction, to events.

I accept, we are all different.....but I have never understood folk, who rejoice, when we win......and stay shtum, when we lose....but thats just my view......However, I do accept, different personalities as the norm.

Doesn't make me right, just makes me, me......but I say what I see, without bias, to every game, win lose of draw....if the opposition are better, I will say it.

Edited by TRO

We are disjointed. And have been for a long time now. We are playing slowly and with little dynamism   and have been for a long time now. ( Bailey aside) 

For me its the worst run of form since he came in . Defence very wobbly. Oppo beating the high line and scoring less and less. 

I am challenging Emery to put it right while also supporting him fully as our manager. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

We are disjointed. And have been for a long time now. We are playing slowly and with little dynamism   and have been for a long time now. ( Bailey aside) 

For me its the worst run of form since he came in . Defence very wobbly. Oppo beating the high line and scoring less and less. 

I am challenging Emery to put it right while also supporting him fully as our manager. 

900 odd games in his resume suggest he will sort it out

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

I have seen enough from Unai Emery to form the opinion....that it is unlikely we get a better, manager.....not that the thinking is that, anyway.

On that basis, if its gone wobbly, and it has.....he will put it right, how long that takes, depends on whats wrong, and how many factors are involved, those timescales vary. I don't think our issues are easy to put your finger on.

Many things in football, challenge football managers, and the time it takes to fix them, vary......The top managers, have always had challenges, Klopps had his.....but the central solution is .....stay with them.

I get a bit frustrated with the media at times, when a team is struggling, always looking for immediate solutions, when immediate is not always possible...and reasons not always clear.

I am frustrated with the performances of Diaby right now, and the manager must be too.....but we have to let them, work it out, in their own time.

Like you, I will call it, for what it is......and at the same time, support him fully.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

By a “long time“ I assume you mean the 8 games that have followed us beating Man C, Arsenal, and qualifying for the next round of the conference. 

And in that spell we have won 3, drawn 3 and lost 2 - which is form our recent managers would mostly have dreamed of.

Anyway, good to hear of your challenge to Emery. How has it been communicated to him?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Pongo's Socks said:

A bit of a spikey answer when the Sly interviewer just asked him why Cash was dropped😂

what was the answer?

2 hours ago, TRO said:

Rightly or wrongly, its is not an accurate response to how I feel.....Firstly, nowhere in my post did I aim a criticism at the manager.....and in all my posts, I have revered him more than any previous manager.....my support of SB is usually a false narrative, for a few reasons, he was struggling with family grief when, I upped my support of him, and I still abhor cabbagegate, and never want to see it again, against any of our managers.....We today , are still enjoying his signing of our capatin, so It was always perspective with me....He was never going to be the success we was looking for, but the state we was in, he stopped the rot of haemorraging goals.....There is no sensible comparison between SB and UE, but I equally think its unhelpful for folk to keep going back to previous managers, for solace in difficult times.....None of them was good enough, or up to the standard of Unai.....but it would be dismissive to think they never contributed anything.....they all have signings playing in our first team today.

My comments, right now, are aimed at the drop in the football, we are producing, not the whole season, that must be acknowledged.....I am not as sure as some, that the injuries are as damning as others may think, other teams still doing ok  with many injuries like Newcastle, and Spurs, have weathered the storm, and dug deep.....but that does not make me right either, its just a suspicion, based on what I see in matches.

FWIW..I suspect our team, is learning how to dine at the top table.....Expectancy, leading to pressure, bears down, on being in those positions....the other teams there are battle hardened to it....its new to us. I see very good players of ours, playing within themselves and I am not suggesting, they are not trying, because I think they are.....but for whatever reason, they are not producing their early season form, and for it to drift in after our best ever week in football, where confidence should be sky high, and time off should have us fit.....suggests to me its expectation and pressure, is getting to them.....this must be said, its an observation not a criticism......Personally, I was in grave doubt of top 4, so I am not writing this with being miffed.....I felt 5th or 6th, would be a great season and still do.

back to Unai....In none of my posts, have I criticised him, and nor will I, because I too like you Believe in him, overall, even if he gets things awry ( imv) on the odd occasion.

We simply cannot win every game, but the ones we struggle in, can be called out, and discussed sensibly without a huge defence of the game, and a speedy reference to what we have done so far.....I would suspect, every arbiter, would concede, we have had a great season so far....but games are games and can be discussed sensibly in isolation of the season.

I write the way I do, not to denounce the team, but to eek out, other opinions as to why we may have just dipped from our early season form....its pure opinions, because no one really knows....I have strong suspicions, but thats all they are.

I have as much confidence as you have, that he will sort it out, like many, I was rather hoping, all the good work so far, will not dissipate and we can get back on track to a strong finish like we did last season.

I am also encouraged, but the signings of a more "athletic "profile of these young players and you know, how I have been itching for some loftier players in certain positions.....well he has ticked that box for me, too.

Jas....I don't want to pee on anyones chips, and for sure, my partisan head is always on at VP, where i still sing, at my age,  even in the Doug Ellis with the old uns.....but my love for Villa, with not trump, my understanding of what I see, and my interpretation of it, many Podcasters have similar views to me, and their Love for Villa, can't be challenged with their committment.

Negativity and pessimism, is too easily taken off the shelf, when the true narrative is reporting what you see, in a game....I would be amazed if Unai, didn't resort to a bit of that, in getting his point across after, poor results. I am not advocating labouring it, because positivity does have to resume quickly.

UTV

Mate… as I pointed out… my comments weren’t a direct response to you but a general point. I have seen plenty of moaning and extreme views and opinions, it’s not unusual for our fanbase. I’m not just talking about here either… plenty of nonsense on social media..

I didn’t intend for you take it personally…

I don’t keep quiet when we perform poorly or get bad results either… I am never happy when that happens but am choosing to exercise more patience and understanding this time around and feel it’s more justified than ever…

Anyway…

Are you feeling better now? 3 goals in 20 mins isn’t half bad 😂

Unai is the man!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TRO said:

when he does we will rejoice again.....its reaction, to events.

I accept, we are all different.....but I have never understood folk, who rejoice, when we win......and stay shtum, when we lose....but thats just my view......However, I do accept, different personalities as the norm.

Doesn't make me right, just makes me, me......but I say what I see, without bias, to every game, win lose of draw....if the opposition are better, I will say it.

Again, don’t take it personally. I was just discussing how I feel basically…

Anyway…

its 4 goals in 30 now 😂

All hail King Unai!!!

• Like 1

Â