Unai Emery

PeterSw

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

53 minutes ago, Jonesy7211 said:

I'm too young to remember Ron Saunders at the club, I was a baby, but has there ever been a manager of the club who is so universally beloved by the fanbase?

For as long as I can remember I don't think we've ever been so united in our faith in the manager.

I think we were all very happy with Atkinson, Little, and Gregory, but from memory it was nothing like this.

Big Ron was well liked, MON was a popular appointment, and Taylor left on a high in his first reign, but no I don't think it's the same level as Emery ball.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Big Ron was well liked, MON was a popular appointment, and Taylor left on a high in his first reign, but no I don't think it's the same level as Emery ball.

Genuinely do not think, the football we are playing is as good that which we were afforded under Big Ron - but equally I feel that Unai will surpass everything that Big Ron achieved with us.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ChesterDad said:

Genuinely do not think, the football we are playing is as good that which we were afforded under Big Ron - but equally I feel that Unai will surpass everything that Big Ron achieved with us.

I don’t necessarily disagree but the standard of the league is miles better now and far more technical. What Emery has achieved is more impressive given the standard. 

Edited by WHY
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

I agree with you Big Ron and MON were very popular a year in - Little and Gregory as well?

Actually I think it’s what happens next that’s key - and no reason to suggest Emery can’t push on.

7 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

We finished second under Ron so are you full-on calling Emery as going to win us the league? Fair play if so

Given time and appropriate resources - nothing would surprise me with him.

Just think where we would be sitting right now, if we had beat Forest. However it’s still very early into his tenure to be suggesting this season 👍🏻

• Like 1

8 hours ago, WHY said:

I don’t necessarily disagree but the standard of the league is miles better now and far more technical. What Emery has achieved is more impressive given the standard. 

I agree while players were just as talented if this team and Emery were back then they'd win the league no doubt

There is a case to be made for Brian Little as our most successful manager of the Premier league era because he managed us to a trophy and a top four finish in the same season and followed it up with a 5th place finish. But in truth we had brilliant times under Big Ron, Little, Gregory and to an extent MON. 

If Unai can win a trophy he will be well on the way to being the best and chasing down the greatest of the modern era - Ron Saunders - if he can add more than one trophy 

• Like 1

Whilst making comparisons with Ron's team, I watched the whole of the Rotterdam orgasm back this morning - see below if anyone fancies it - and it is as I remember it on the day.

Lots of helter skelter, commited football, with some decent flashes of skill, but essentially Bayern were the better team on the day and quite unlucky to lose.

The main difference between now and then is the ability of the players today to keep hold of the ball and make good use of it. The number of fouls, stemming from poor control back then was extraordinary.

The run to the final produced some great nights but our team today is a joy to watch at times and that is thanks almost entirely to Unai.

• Like 1

When I speak of Big Ron - I don’t necessarily think of what we won under him, more so the whole match day experience.

It was so entertaining for a period of his tenure. 
It really was footballing theatre in every sense.

I just loved to watch us spray the ball around at pace and with purpose.

Unai - I believe will deliver us more in terms of trophies won - fingers crossed 🤞

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Captain_Townsend said:

There is a case to be made for Brian Little as our most successful manager of the Premier league era because he managed us to a trophy and a top four finish in the same season and followed it up with a 5th place finish.  

I'd agree with that. 

I remember one of BFR's programme notes in 1991/92 where he mentioned that Villa had not finished top six in successive seasons since the war. Little and O'Neill managed it and it's something Emery will need to emulate.     It's far easier (though not easy) to go from there to top 4/top 3, than it is to go from mid table > top four. 

Â