Unai Emery

PeterSw

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Table looks terrible at the moment, we are 1 point above relegation spots, but we are also just 3 points off 11th .

All is not lost yet.

Due to our terrible start, shock results were always going to be needed.

Hopefully this is the year we turn over Man U.

I would love it if we could beat Man U on Sunday. Love it.

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Pinebro said:

Even with this appointment there is no plan involved.

Smith, Gerrard and Emery has nothing in common as coaches. Completely different all of them who demands a different type of player.

It's not like the board has a style of play in mind and recruit based on that. Just going by his Wikipedia page pretty much and hope he fixes us.

If he turns it around I'll be over the moon but if yet another manager fails we need to look elsewhere for our failure. Mainly towards Purslow and the owners.

Hard disagree here. Everything was fine until we appointed Gerrard, it was a huge mistake. Emery’s the perfect appointment to amend it 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

The more I think about it today, the more perplexed I am.

This was there last chance to show Emery before he arrives.

Some of the 2nd half effort levels were petulant and downright pathetic

At the same time, I think it can show how much a well drilled team can do against the opposite. 

It just adds weight that it's not as simple as Emery is watching, got to impress him. Sometimes, I think people are so consumed on ourselves that we forget that there's an elite level opposition who are being set-up to counteract our dangers. It's not as simple as playing a 4-2-3-1 and then everything clicks.

From what I've seen and read about UE, however, I don't think it will be as perplexing to him. He's probably encountered this sort of thing many times and I know from personal experience how much a mind-set can be altered with the right guidance. As long as you trust the person guiding then I think every player needs to be judged freshly over the next few months. 

Some players will not get on board and that's fine, they can move on or rot and get a poorer contract next move but those that are willing to go with him and listen will hopefully be better versions of what we have now. 

All that message wasn't aimed your direction btw, I just quoted you and started replying to one thing and then went off on a tangent, haha.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Some huge overreacting here it seems. Today we played a team who’ve had a year of very good coaching. We’ve had a year of little to no coaching. There’s 24 games left

Theres been plenty of coaching. But to a system that just doesnt work

10 hours ago, Pinebro said:

Even with this appointment there is no plan involved.

Smith, Gerrard and Emery has nothing in common as coaches. Completely different all of them who demands a different type of player.

It's not like the board has a style of play in mind and recruit based on that. Just going by his Wikipedia page pretty much and hope he fixes us.

Well I’d be more worried if the style was consistent.  Each year has different requirements.  You can’t use the same approach for promotion as you do to avoid relegation as you do to pushing up the PL table.  Each year requires a different style, different plan, tactics and strategy.  Each of those requires different players, different types of players and also allows to attract different quality of players.  If they had used the same style, tactics and type of players then I’d be more worried.  Once you are established in a league you want consistency but we haven’t been established, we have had a journey from the bottom half of the championship.

The club made a mistake with Gerrard and they may have kept some players from earlier years of the plan for too long like McGinn and Watkins but you don’t get to reset everything each season and pick a squad for the new season. Players sign multiple years in contracts so you get stuck with them.

Additionally with things changing you constantly adapt your plan based on new factors, you upgrade when you can and sometimes when you do you have to change your direction when the plan isn’t working.  Yes some of these players won’t work under Emery but the core will.

Gerrard was a mistake, we’ve kept some players too long but I think the plan is there and with styles changing I see that as adapting to what is needed.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Well I’d be more worried if the style was consistent.  Each year has different requirements.  You can’t use the same approach for promotion as you do to avoid relegation as you do to pushing up the PL table.  Each year requires a different style, different plan, tactics and strategy.  Each of those requires different players, different types of players and also allows to attract different quality of players.  If they had used the same style, tactics and type of players then I’d be more worried.  Once you are established in a league you want consistency but we haven’t been established, we have had a journey from the bottom half of the championship.

The club made a mistake with Gerrard and they may have kept some players from earlier years of the plan for too long like McGinn and Watkins but you don’t get to reset everything each season and pick a squad for the new season. Players sign multiple years in contracts so you get stuck with them.

Additionally with things changing you constantly adapt your plan based on new factors, you upgrade when you can and sometimes when you do you have to change your direction when the plan isn’t working.  Yes some of these players won’t work under Emery but the core will.

Gerrard was a mistake, we’ve kept some players too long but I think the plan is there and with styles changing I see that as adapting to what is needed.

I don't think Emery is going to be successful here.

Not until we replace Purslow and Lange and get in football people.

Would love to be proven wrong.

5 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Maybe, but I don’t think Emery would have agreed to join us if he didn’t have a certain level of control. Here’s hoping that Edens and Sawiris have stripped Purslow of certain footballing decisions. As for Lange, I should think he’ll be on his last chance.

You’d like to think that with the level Emery has coached at, he’s far less expendable than Lange, and hopefully Purslow too.

9 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

I have felt this (minus Emery) for some time. That we at best are doomed to perpetual mediocrity due to wasting our potential on wrong managers, players and staff, with no hope of ever entering the top 6 consistently ever again. 

Emery currently acts as a counterpoint to this thesis as he is the best managerial appointment we have made in my lifetime. You thesis might still hold, but for my part I view this as a possible alteration point of our projected trajectory, one that COULD, if built upon be just what we need. Emery focuses a lot on analytics, and this will do us a world of good in the recruitment department. Well, it could at least. 

So while I do think there is a high chance we will remain the AI in this FM save that is played by the top 6 (and possibly Newcastle) players as humans, there is still hope of joining that group for us. But the window for joining that group is closing fast.

23 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Over what sort of timeframe? For pretty much every manager except SAF and to a lesser extent Wenger, all managers “fail” at some point… I think you need to set some measures for your assessment of failure. What do you consider a success and over what timeframe? Over a long enough time frame all survival rates drop to zero…

Edited by alreadyexists

2 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Over what sort of timeframe? For pretty much every manager except SAF and to a lesser extent Wenger, all managers “fail” at some point… I think you need to set some measures for your assessment of failure. What do you consider a success and over what timeframe? Over a long enough time frame all survival rates drop to zero…

By failure I mean I don't think anything is gonna change.

We'll hover around mid table at best.

Would love to share you guys optimism but I just have a bad feeling.

I have zero faith in the board and I don't see them having a plan.

19 minutes ago, Ginko said:

Maybe, but I don’t think Emery would have agreed to join us if he didn’t have a certain level of control. Here’s hoping that Edens and Sawiris have stripped Purslow of certain footballing decisions. As for Lange, I should think he’ll be on his last chance.

You’d like to think that with the level Emery has coached at, he’s far less expendable than Lange, and hopefully Purslow too.

I’d be happy to see the back of Lange now to be honest. Get a new DoF in ahead of the Jan transfer window preferably in the World Cup break. Needs to have more say than Purslow in footballing decisions and be compatible with Emery. They need to identify our strengths and weaknesses and work on a shared strategy to improve.

Purslow just needs to keep to the financial stuff. 

As much Beale should have kept his gob shut talking about Villa after Gerrards sacking there is going to be truth in what he says about the running of the club. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

It would be total Villa to get a manager with one of the best win rates in Europe at top level and then ruin that win rate.

10 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

If that turns out to be true, we might as well let the club fold or drop down the system until we find a place where we can at least compete and give the place to some other club. 

They obviously have a plan even if you can’t see it. And the fact that they approach different types of managers certainly fits with us being a club looking for identity and a true footballing philosophy. We need that last part to originate from someone that actually knows football, and I think they thought Gerrard might be able to do that, especially considering his own playing career. 

Yes, I agree there is great chance nothing changes, but we must realize it is not always up to what we do. On this level, small differences matter when competition is fierce, and not all clubs can make it to the top. Emery might just be more of the same, but I think his appointment speaks to us having a plan and actually wanting to succeed. 

He needs time from us and the board. If they sack him this time next year if we are hovering in the same position as now, I think that is more of an indication that they lack not only plan, but requisite knowledge to run a football club. Of that happens they should sell us. 

I'd be quite content if we could transform into a upper midtable club who went on regular cup runs. Anything more than that is fanciful imo. Emery is the perfect manager to get us to that point.

We need to double or triple our revenue if we want to get anywhere close to the top-6 clubs on a regular basis. Can't see how we do that.

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

Â